• ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    that's obvious. keep that day job.

So let's hear YOUR input. I've been active in this thread, I've given my input. You've done neither.

As far as I'm concerned, when I enter I agree to their terms. When they terminate my employment, they no longer can search my vehicle. They no longer need my services, so I no longer am agreeing to their terms. That's just my opinion, but hey I care more about me than them.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    My former employer also had in the policy they could search your car parked on the public street and their parking lot, which was owned by the city. I left before that issue was settled. But once again if you agreed to the policy before you start working there??

Nada, nope.

You are on a public street, not company property, if they suspect you of anything and you are parked on a public street they are SOL, unless they contact the local PD and request a warrant search.

If they suspect you of wrong doing, it's like shoplifting, has to be done after you are out the door and before you are off the property, otherwise you have grounds for a lawsuit.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Fedex used to prohibit firearms in their off-airport parking lot, claiming they could do so because their facility was on-airport. I wonder if they're still trying to get away with that.

Ye they are, I have family and friends that work there.... enforcing it is another matter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nada, nope.

You are on a public street, not company property, if they suspect you of anything and you are parked on a public street they are SOL, unless they contact the local PD and request a warrant search.

If they suspect you of wrong doing, it's like shoplifting, has to be done after you are out the door and before you are off the property, otherwise you have grounds for a lawsuit.

Exactly this. On the owners property you may be subject to search depending on any agreement or specifications . On the street it is LEO's domain.

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    A private property owner or their agent wishing to perform a search upon a person or their purse/briefcase, or automobile upon their premises and without the consent of said person or the owner of the purse/briefcase, or the automobile, would be placing themselves in legal peril. They simply don't have legal authority to do so, as there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Preventing a person from leaving, or preventing them from taking their property with them when leaving, can reasonably be considered to be false imprisonment. One's liberty isn't suspended, simply for the matter that they are on someone else's property.

Desks, lockers, and such that are owned by an employer are another story.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    A private property owner or their agent wishing to perform a search upon a person or their purse/briefcase, or automobile upon their premises and without the consent of said person or the owner of the purse/briefcase, or the automobile, would be placing themselves in legal peril. They simply don't have legal authority to do so, as there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Preventing a person from leaving, or preventing them from taking their property with them when leaving, can reasonably be considered to be false imprisonment.

Yea.....no

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Preventing a person from leaving, or preventing them from taking their property with them when leaving, can reasonably be considered to be false imprisonment. One's liberty isn't suspended, simply for the matter that they are on someone else's property.

Nope, nada, you're wrong.

In 99.9% of any cases out there that fall into this category, the employee's company more than likely has given that employee a company handbook, and within that handbook it will specifically state that they may search an employee, their locker, person and vehicle (provided it is on company property), if it is in their belief that there is a case of theft of product, intellectual property or anything else that falls within that category.

You give up your rights when you turn in the forms in the back of the handbooks that acknowledge your receipt of the handbook.

They may detain you long enough to perform the search, if they don't find anything and they continue to hold you, well then you have a point.

BUT, if they find any such thing, and detain you, your thought of false imprisonment is purely a figment of your imagination....

It's time to pay the piper.

IANAL, I did not sleep @ a Holiday Inn last night, and there has been nothing that I have ever done to warrant this, but I have seen employees that have decided to play stupid games to try to win stupid prizes.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Then please Google the name of Louise Ogden.

HAHA, you got to be kidding me, the McDonald's incident involving a fake cop having a manager search a employee.

Wrong zip code, wrong number, heck you're not even in the same state, little alone the ballpark.

Apple to Apples HotD,

Not Apples to your fruit salad.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    HAHA, you got to be kidding me, the McDonald's incident involving a fake cop having a manager search a employee.

Wrong zip code, wrong number, heck you're not even in the same state, little alone the ballpark.

Apple to Apples HotD,

This^ exactly why I didn't even reply. Not worthy.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Indiana is a right to work state so pretty much anything can be grounds for termination

Just a note here: I think you mean "employment-at-will", not "right-to-work".

The one means either employer or employee can terminate the work relationship at any time without penalty, for any reason or no reason.

The other means that a union can demand you pay union dues even if you don't want to belong to the union.

I am NOT getting into the politics of unions with that statement, only clarifying the term used.

Blessings,
    Bill

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    Nope, nada, you're wrong.

In 99.9% of any cases out there that fall into this category, the employee's company more than likely has given that employee a company handbook, and within that handbook it will specifically state that they may search an employee, their locker, person and vehicle (provided it is on company property), if it is in their belief that there is a case of theft of product, intellectual property or anything else that falls within that category.

You give up your rights when you turn in the forms in the back of the handbooks that acknowledge your receipt of the handbook.

They may detain you long enough to perform the search, if they don't find anything and they continue to hold you, well then you have a point.

BUT, if they find any such thing, and detain you, your thought of false imprisonment is purely a figment of your imagination....

It's time to pay the piper.

IANAL, I did not sleep @ a Holiday Inn last night, and there has been nothing that I have ever done to warrant this, but I have seen employees that have decided to play stupid games to try to win stupid prizes.

Nope. Nada. You're wrong.

One can voluntarily surrender their rights, but a property owner cannot require one to surrender them.

The same goes for an employer. Otherwise, you may be required to be strip searched by your office manager every Monday morning at 9am, simply because its "required" by your "employee handbook."

The employee handbook does not supersede established civil liberties and due process of law. Not even the police who have a wide latitude in the enforcement of law with their statutory authority, can exceed their authority to enforce the criminal codes.

Apple to Apples HotD,

HAHA, why don't you try it in your zip code, number, state, ballpark, and see what happens. I'm willing to bet that you would be looking at the inside of a jail cell in fairly quick order.

This^ exactly why I didn't even reply. Not worthy.

Another person that believes that property rights absolutely supersede the civil liberties of the individual. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wolfy2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another person that believes that property rights absolutely supersede the civil liberties of the individual.

This is the meat of the matter ,if you will. So that being said, can damages be filed on behave of family left after the lost of said employee ,because of the lost of the right to protect oneself because your trying to earn a living ? I guess we can all go back to letting our liberty slide into the ditch. Laws on laws. To protect who?

HotD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    N/A
    Another person that believes that property rights absolutely supersede the civil liberties of the individual.

This is the meat of the matter ,if you will. So that being said, can damages be filed on behave of family left after the lost of said employee ,because of the lost of the right to protect oneself because your trying to earn a living ? I guess we can all go back to letting our liberty slide into the ditch. Laws on laws. To protect who?

I'll be the first to agree that the laws are backwards in this respect. Unfortunately, the sheep society wants the Shepard to guard the flock, and not an armed lamb.

As Benjamin Franklin is oft quoted: "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Top Bottom