• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I purchased a CW9 A couple of days ago and a galco, cop series OWB holster with the 2 kant positins.
    Anyway when I go to draw the gun from the holster, it about gives me a wedgy and is difficult to draw the weapon.
    I was wondering if this just gets better with some time?
    When I was at midwest a while back I saw a little tube of stuff that was supposed to make the holster slick for a better draw..
    Dose anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff?
    This is my first holster of this type with a backstrap and now that I have a back strap I want this thing flying outta there.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Break in

It will get better. A trick - Wipe liberally w/ rubbing alcohol to soften the leather, then put your firearm in the holster. The alcohol will dry quickly, and stretch around the gun. a USMC trick. Just don't soak the holster.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Be careful with putting substances inside your holster...holsters are tanned with the same salts that cause guns to rust and adding moisture to the equation can make bad things happen.

If the holster is tight then stick your fingers in the holster and "pry it open". You can actually stretch the holster enough to go from 'tight' to snug. Don't go overboard here. After that, just wear it and the holster will fit itself to the gun.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Also you can put the gun in a ziplock type plastic bag and keep inserting into holster.

This is very good advice! You can leave the gun in overnight and perhaps try 2 ziplock bags if you want to loosen it more. Another idea is to use this stuff, no personal experience but friends have used it to good effect....

miscellaneous

Be patient, your holster will break in.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    My GALCO concealable did the same thing with my Beretta 92FS. I happen to have a shoe stretcher and spray, and used a little of the spray on the inside of the holster, put the pistol in it, and within a few hours it went from super tight to perfect.

Or, if you're not impatient like me, you can just use it daily, and it will wear in eventually.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't like to put things on the leather to stretch or soften it, and I don't use the plastic bag trick, either. I want the holster and the gun to mesh by themselves. Leave the gun sitting in it, and keep working it in and out. I'll often unload the gun, hold the holster in one hand, and work the gun in and out with the other. It'll loosen up fairly quickly, and fit your gun exactly, without screwing with the leather or being too loose.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I don't like to put things on the leather to stretch or soften it, and I don't use the plastic bag trick, either. I want the holster and the gun to mesh by themselves. Leave the gun sitting in it, and keep working it in and out. I'll often unload the gun, hold the holster in one hand, and work the gun in and out with the other. It'll loosen up fairly quickly, and fit your gun exactly, without screwing with the leather or being too loose.

+1 Joe, this is how I've always broken in my leather holsters too.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Thanks for the help guys, I ended up using the plastic bag and it worked well. I didn't have any rubbing alcohol but I had a ziplock. I ran it in and out of with the bag 50 times + and it has loosened up alot and feels good until it breaks in all the way.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Bad info in this old thread, please don't use rubbing alcohol on leather, it dries it out and drastically shortens its life.

Put your holster on, wrap your gun in wax paper, holster it, and wear it for a few hours drawing it a few times. :thumbsup:

It will get better. A trick - Wipe liberally w/ rubbing alcohol to soften the leather, then put your firearm in the holster. The alcohol will dry quickly, and stretch around the gun. a USMC trick. Just don't soak the holster.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    We used to fill a double zip lock/freezer with water, slide it in the holster, and leave it in the freezer at home. Ice expands so .... seems to work on Safariland 070 Duty holsters for Glocks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    The zip lock is a good trick. I use baseball mit oil in mine or vasiine. Just like in the little leauge days! You dont want to use the holster until the oils have basically dried up. I have only uses this on polymer guns with black slide. I do not know what it would do to a stailess finish or Blued.

Top Bottom