• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Anybody know how to stop a leaky gas tank...without draining it? The leak is on the bottom, tried soap..didn't work. Apparently it was patched by a previous owner, and it worked for a while, but started leaking again...help?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I agree with the repair kit. Whatever you do though,don't try to weld it if it's metal. One of my friends did that and didn't realize fumes were combustible.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    You can always buy a replacement tank and be done with it. If you just want a temp repair you can get a fuel stick or the repair compound from autozone or some other auto parts store.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I agree with the repair kit. Whatever you do though,don't try to weld it if it's metal. One of my friends did that and didn't realize fumes were combustible.
    this

You can always buy a replacement tank and be done with it. If you just want a temp repair you can get a fuel stick or the repair compound from autozone or some other auto parts store.

and the best choice

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i really havent tried patching one before. as i would have thought the gas would just deteriorate the patch. i would just suggest replacement. if replacement is something you can do yourself, its not THAT expensive compared to the cost of gas you can be loosing.

if replacement is something you would have to bring it somewhere to have done, it can get expensive and patching is at least worth a shot.

if you end up replacing it, it would be a good time to consider pump replacement as well if it has an in tank pump.

Last edited:

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    supposedly you can weld them after they have been flooded several times with soapy water to difuse the fumes. but if it has a hole from rust, you're still pissing in the wind as the rest of the tank is also thin. a puncture hole from from road debris/broken drive shaft and you might still have something to work with.

if he has a plastic tank, welding is a moot point. lol

ron g

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    chicago,il
    gas tank repair kit from napa if your gonna keep in in vehicle.
    you can also solder hole using acid core solder if its out and dry.
    be careful if you decide to pull it, probably other rusted parts that will break
    in the process. best bet is to replace with one purchased online.

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    IF its a poly tank then one can most likley be found for a decent price online. Ditto for metal unless it is rare. The only metal tanks i have welded were for antique applications. If your a decent welder than one can be welded. drain the tank, refill with water, then drain again. repeat this a couple times then insert a shop vac hose into the fill opening and run it for a few minutes then start welding leaving the vac on. I've used this method a few times and still have my eyebrows. The repair kits generally work well if you follow the directions but are usually only a temporary fix.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    If you decide to weld you can also drain and rinse tank a couple of times and then hook up the tank to a running car with some flex pipe/line. The exhaust fumes act as a Cheap oxygen purgeing agent similar to argon or nitrogen so there is less chance of a fire.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Previous owner? So probably not a 2012 Jeep Compass or Patriot then.

Recall Alert: 2012 Jeep Compass and Patriot - Kicking Tires - The Washington Post

Though I do find it funny that the recall has been reported but Chrysler won't make the effort to contact owners for another 2 months. :rolleyes:

Funny thing about recalls............they do them to contain all possibly affected vehicles (how many before and after an error event?)

Error event- how many truly have the problem? Dunno lot size for the part, or for sub assembly part(s).

1700 is a small number, could be to catch 2 or 3 bad valves that pose a possible risk.........or hundreds of vehicles of strongly suspected risk.

The valve in question is for containing fuel in a roll over............

Lots of folks die in rollovers due to not wearing seatbelts. I remember a study that said 50% of vehicle deaths are by intrusion (smaller vehicles pose hightened risk of such)

So death by burning after a rollover is probably a small statistical number.

Probably more apt to die in small Jeep regular non rollover wrecks.

Top Bottom