• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Hi can someone tell me the avantages or disadvantages of lead bullets. I am new to reloading and i have only used copper jacketed bullets so far but i am wanting to tru solid lead because there cheaper. one thing ive heard is that solid lead bullets really gunk up you barrel.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Lead is cheaper. If there wasnt a difference in price, I would use copper jacketed bullets exclusively.

It depends On what you are loading as to how bad they will gunk up your barrel, and how fast you are pushing them. As long as your bullets are the proper hardness for the application, and the lube used is appropriate, leading is usually not so bad as to make it more work than its worth over copper jacketed bullets.

Another factor that will affect leading is how well broken in the barrel is. Some barrels lead terribly after only a few shots, others will go through several boxes without issue.

The best thing I can advise is trying some, keep an open mind as to different powders, and see how your gun likes them.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Also be sure to remove all copper fouling from the barrel before shooting lead, otherwise it will lead up twice as fast. I shoot lead only in my pistols because of cost and have no issues with it. I cast my own and can work up around a 1000 rounds of 9mm for $40 so the savings is really there.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Been wanting to learn about lead, the alloys, molding and all, in case for some reason there are no longer any jacketed ones available. I have a couple of molds, but I've just used them to make tumbling media for chemical fun so far.

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Lead with the proper powder is fine in most guns. I never really cared about fouling due to the fact that I planned on cleaning my gun anyways. Get some chore boy copper scrub pads and the lead comes out in 10 seconds. Cheap ammo lets you have more fun at the range...go for it.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I shoot lead and copper plated almost exclusively in my hand guns. Never really had a problem with leading, as is mentioned above starting out with a clean gun and a through cleaning afterwards is a good idea. I find that accuracy seems to be better with lead or plated over full metal jackets, maybe it's just me but it seems that way. I kind of go by the old adage, "No one ever wore out a barrel shooting lead"

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Lead with the proper powder is fine in most guns. I never really cared about fouling due to the fact that I planned on cleaning my gun anyways. Get some chore boy copper scrub pads and the lead comes out in 10 seconds. Cheap ammo lets you have more fun at the range...go for it.

Can you elaborate how you use Chore Boy to clean your guns? Thanks.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    If you slug your boe and load .001-.002 bigger, along with hardness and lube as mentioned above, You will be amazed at how little leading there will be. Almost none. You do have to watch velocity though. Wheel weights and reclaimed range lead are good to go for casting your own. Pure lead will be to soft. You can add bar solder to harden things up. I highly recomend castboolits.com they will save you a lot of time, frustration and money. Take what they say to heart, most of them have been at it a while and know what they are talking about.

Caliber plays a factor also. So you might want to figure out what caliber, how much you want to shoot and how fast you want to push your loads.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    with right bullet hardness you can push lead as fast jacketed.....i shoot 45 Colt's with brinell 18 250gr with 24 grains of 296 at 1400fps from a 7 1/2" barrel with no leadin' at all:D

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    Can you elaborate how you use Chore Boy to clean your guns? Thanks.

Certainly, I purchase the copper chore boy scrub pads at Meijer. The only caveat is that some are steel with a copper coating, so you may want to check them with a magnet in store or cut a few strands to ensure they are 100% copper to avoid bore erosion. I then tear a chunk of the pad (maybe an eighth) and wrap it tightly around an old undersized bore brush. Lubricate your bore with your choice oil and go to town. The lead comes out in flakes and you are left with shiny bore.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Certainly, I purchase the copper chore boy scrub pads at Meijer. The only caveat is that some are steel with a copper coating, so you may want to check them with a magnet in store or cut a few strands to ensure they are 100% copper to avoid bore erosion. I then tear a chunk of the pad (maybe an eighth) and wrap it tightly around an old undersized bore brush. Lubricate your bore with your choice oil and go to town. The lead comes out in flakes and you are left with shiny bore.

I've used a method similar to this in the past, and I can say it works! :)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    One other thing to avoid excessive leading is staying within manufactures load data for lead. Going with powder suggested w/ copper or jacketed will cause excessive leading.I usually cast wheel weight lead & drop the fresh cast into a 5 gallon bucket of water to harden them a little more .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ironic, I shoot lead 99% of the time. The remaining 1% are jacketed bullets shot to clean the lead from my barrel:D

I do the same usually run a full mag of jacketed through after shooting lead and have never had a leading issue in my 1911.

I used to do this with my Kimber also. I worked pretty good until I ringed my barrel.:xmad:

angus6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    As been said with a proper sized bullet and load there is no leading problem , just dirtier from the lube and a blast of brake cleaner and it's gone

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    with right bullet hardness you can push lead as fast jacketed.....i shoot 45 Colt's with brinell 18 250gr with 24 grains of 296 at 1400fps from a 7 1/2" barrel with no leadin' at all:D

Ditto.

Only thing is, I cast my own to get it done. The loads are John Linebaugh's and they work in my Ruger 45 Convertible as well as my Puma lever action rifle.

If you are going to shoot, you should be a reloader. If you are going to reload, you should be a caster.

Since I have no way to plate my cast bullets, I simply shoot them as they come out of the mould, well, after they are sized and lubed, but that can be optional, depending! ;) On a lot.................:D

Top Bottom