• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    For those of you who wear an ankle holster.......how do you wear it?

Which leg? Inside the leg? Outside the leg? I am left handed so left leg would be ideal I suppose. What are your opinions? How do you carry!

I have never ankle carried but with the recent purchase of an LCR, I would like to start.

I'm thinking about a Blackhawk rig or Galco rig....I'll take any suggestions or opinions!!!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Ok, ok, that sounds about right!! So when ordering, is it a given that "right handed" is going to go on the left leg and vice versa?

Always big toe side.
    Yes, I am right handed and thus would carry it on big toe side of my left leg.

OP, you should have your ankle carry on the big toe side of your right leg. I would like to enforce that this is not a suggested method of carry for your only/primary carry in my opinion. It should only be a backup. If that LCR is your primary, I strongly suggest you look into an IWB for concealed.

ETA: After reading your original post I saw the bit about the suggestions. I use the Galco Ankle Glove, because it has a calf strap. If you are not a runner/have an calf that sticks out, you may find it slipping and may face frequent adjustment. So if you don't have a predominate calf muscle, you may want to look into a simple band wide band. The wider the bands, the greater the support, and the more comfortable you will be.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Always big toe side.
    Yes, I am right handed and thus would carry it on big toe side of my left leg.

OP, you should have your ankle carry on the big toe side of your right leg. I would like to enforce that this is not a suggested method of carry for your only/primary carry in my opinion. It should only be a backup. If that LCR is your primary, I strongly suggest you look into an IWB for concealed.

Thanks for the info....primary carry is usually a glock but I would like to have other options for when a full size isn't ideal. I plan to carry in the pocket mostly but for those times when I need it to be 100% concealed, ankle would be nice.

Which holster do you use G_Stines??

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the info....primary carry is usually a glock but I would like to have other options for when a full size isn't ideal. I plan to carry in the pocket mostly but for those times when I need it to be 100% concealed, ankle would be nice.

Which holster do you use G_Stines??

Depends on what I am carrying, and to where.. Typically I OC a P226 in 9mm in a Blackhawk Serpa QCQ, with a 642 airweight either in the Galco Ankle Glove as previously stated or a Don Hume 001 I have also concealed my SP2022 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I also have a couple of custom made shirt tuckable holsters for my 2022 and my 226. The 642 also sometimes gets swapped out for a .357 and if the .357 is with me it resides in a pocket, because its fairly heavy for the ankle. Hope that helps!

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Depends on what I am carrying, and to where.. Typically I OC a P226 in 9mm in a Blackhawk Serpa QCQ, with a 642 airweight either in the Galco Ankle Glove as previously stated or a Don Hume 001 I have also concealed my SP2022 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I also have a couple of custom made shirt tuckable holsters for my 2022 and my 226. The 642 also sometimes gets swapped out for a .357 and if the .357 is with me it resides in a pocket, because its fairly heavy for the ankle. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the input! Galco only makes it in right hand, so I'm continuing my search!

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Also, slight tidbit, you want to look for an ankle holster with a closed bottom where the barrel resides. Most of them are, but a couple aren't, and you definitely want it to be, that way, in the event of stepping in a puddle,mud, ect there isn't grime bouncing up and possibly into your barrel to make a block if the need should arise...

I am not overly fond of universal holsters, but this may be worth a look....
    Left Handed Ankle Holster for Ruger LCR with a 1.87 Barrel | Ready Holster

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Thanks for the info G_stines, I tried to rep you but I'm on my phone and i don't think it will let me.

Bogus- that crossbreed ankle rig looks real nice! It's looking like that may be the one that I order. Anyone have experience with crossbreed ankle holsters?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the info G_stines, I tried to rep you but I'm on my phone and i don't think it will let me.

Bogus- that crossbreed ankle rig looks real nice! It's looking like that may be the one that I order. Anyone have experience with crossbreed ankle holsters?

Crossbreed makes excellent quality holsters and are very good service oriented people.

Top Bottom