• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmooresbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2015
    Columbus
    What is the consensus on the Ruger LC9? I was thinking about picking one up just for concealed carry in the summer months. I used to own the LCP 380 but never really enjoyed shooting it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Based on reviews and comments here, the LC9s is far superior to the LC9 because of the new mechanism. You should test fire it before laying out the money. You can either find a range that rents guns or ask for help from an INGOer in your area. Good luck.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    We have both for[FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT] rent at Parabellum if you want to give them a test run.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer- Certified M&P armorer[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have owned a LC9 and now have the LC9S. IMO, the LC9S is far superior to the LC9. The trigger is, much, much better.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I used to own the LCP 380 but never really enjoyed shooting it.

Given the similarity between the two pistols, what makes you think you will like the LC9s more than you liked your LCP?

In virtually the same frame pistol, 9mm is just more of most "bad things" that people dislike about a little 380.

-Nate

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Given the similarity between the two pistols, what makes you think you will like the LC9s more than you liked your LCP?

In virtually the same frame pistol, 9mm is just more of most "bad things" that people dislike about a little 380.

-Nate

Actually, the two are quite different.
    • The LC9s is significantly larger than the LCP and will fit most people's hands better.
    • The newer trigger is far superior to the LCP/LC380/LC9 trigger.
    • LCP fixed sights are pretty much non-existent, while the LC9s has much more functional adjustable sights.
    • It holds one more round of a more powerful and cheaper caliber.
    • The larger size and heavier weight make it easier to practice with.
    The LCP has its place as a close-up, deep concealment gun, but the two are significantly different.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Pudly, while that was a worthwhile summary of the differences between the two, that was not my point.

My point in asking the question was about much broader differences: If a guy likes and prefers a 1911, and has fired 100,000 rounds through one, he's not super likely to take kindly to a Kahr CM9.

When looking at the breadth of commonly carried automatics, the LC9s is pretty darn near the same thing as the LCP. I could be wrong, and asking with too wide a scope, but I'd like the OP to be a little introspective on his choice to go back down the Ruger route, if he's not already.

-Nate

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Pudly, while that was a worthwhile summary of the differences between the two, that was not my point.

My point in asking the question was about much broader differences: If a guy likes and prefers a 1911, and has fired 100,000 rounds through one, he's not super likely to take kindly to a Kahr CM9.

When looking at the breadth of commonly carried automatics, the LC9s is pretty darn near the same thing as the LCP. I could be wrong, and asking with too wide a scope, but I'd like the OP to be a little introspective on his choice to go back down the Ruger route, if he's not already.

-Nate

I just reread the OP. Seems like you are traveling pretty far away from what he was asking. He simply asked if the LC9s would be more enjoyable to shoot than the LCP. I believe that I answered both that and your comment that the similarities would mean that he wouldn't want to shoot the LC9s. Not sure why you think he isn't interested in going back down the Ruger route since that is exactly what he is asking about.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I carry an LC9 daily and wanting to upgrade the sites. Would I better off to trade in on the LC9s or what sites would you recommend? I see prices and reviews across the boards.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I carry an LC9 daily and wanting to upgrade the sites. Would I better off to trade in on the LC9s or what sites would you recommend? I see prices and reviews across the boards.

You should really consider trading in for a LC9s. It will not upgrade your sights, but will give you a major upgrade on the trigger mechanism. Ruger is running a special trade-in offer through the end of the year that makes it pretty much a no-brainer. You can check out the specifics of the trade-in promotion here.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    You should really consider trading in for a LC9s. It will not upgrade your sights, but will give you a major upgrade on the trigger mechanism. Ruger is running a special trade-in offer through the end of the year that makes it pretty much a no-brainer. You can check out the specifics of the trade-in promotion here.

Seems like a decent offer, but the $100 gift card would probably be the difference between trade in and private sale.

Top Bottom