Kyle Defoor - Stretch your pistols (and some downrange videography)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Props to Mr. Defoor for shooting this video uncut-- those were some nice hits at distance. (cameraman forward of muzzle! *sarcastic gasp*)

Anyone else surprised by his comment on ammo?

While I don't think the majority of one's training time should be devoted to such long distances, I don't think it should be neglected either. The argument is often made that "I'd never shoot defensively that far away", but I'd rather have the ability and not use it, than need it and not have it.

As in anything, know your tools and know your ability.

[video=youtube;p4ioCWVehtg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ioCWVehtg[/video]

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I use a B/C zone IPSC size steel target for shooting between 50 and 100 yards as well. Jason (my shooting/training partner) had it custom cut. I believe it was Bobcat Steel who advertises on this forum who cut it for us. We also use it with ARs out past 200 as the standard size we should be able to hit off-hand.

Hitting a target that size out to 100 is not so difficult if you apply the fundamentals carefully. I'm not saying I have a high hit rate, necessarliy. It really depends on how well I'm shooting that day and how well I am able to focus strictly on the fundamentals. I use a stock Glock with the night sights that used to come from the factory.

While I have always believed steel sights were mandatory on a Glock, it was for different reasons. I have never considered a match barrel necessary for the kind of shooting I do. I will have to do some research and see how much difference it really makes to the precision of the firearm.

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Why are his comments about the ammo surprising? Most commercial ammo should be able group better than the shooter at 100 yards. I am more surprised that wind would that much effect the POI at 100 yards w/ 115 gr bullet traveling over 1000 fps.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Why are his comments about the ammo surprising? Most commercial ammo should be able group better than the shooter at 100 yards. I am more surprised that wind would that much effect the POI at 100 yards w/ 115 gr bullet traveling over 1000 fps.

Actually I don't agree with him about ammo. I shoot at 100 quite a bit and have found that ammo selection can definitely play a part. I have tried different brands of ammo on the same day and had drastically different results.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I use a B/C zone IPSC size steel target for shooting between 50 and 100 yards as well. Jason (my shooting/training partner) had it custom cut. I believe it was Bobcat Steel who advertises on this forum who cut it for us. We also use it with ARs out past 200 as the standard size we should be able to hit off-hand.

Hitting a target that size out to 100 is not so difficult if you apply the fundamentals carefully. I'm not saying I have a high hit rate, necessarliy. It really depends on how well I'm shooting that day and how well I am able to focus strictly on the fundamentals. I use a stock Glock with the night sights that used to come from the factory.

While I have always believed steel sights were mandatory on a Glock, it was for different reasons. I have never considered a match barrel necessary for the kind of shooting I do. I will have to do some research and see how much difference it really makes to the precision of the firearm.

They will help accuracy but can make reliability and issue. Just plan on having to do more than drop it into the gun. Might research brands and get a good one.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Actually I don't agree with him about ammo. I shoot at 100 quite a bit and have found that ammo selection can definitely play a part. I have tried different brands of ammo on the same day and had drastically different results.

Me too. I agree with you. Perhaps he meant that it did not have to be top dollar defensive ammo. There is junk out there and available.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Ive actually had a set of his sights on a Glock and they were very nice.....in the daylight. The B on B made for a terrific sight picture but guess im use to the 3 dot picture too much.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think the best reason for shooting at longer distances isn't because you will need to do it, but rather the confidence you will develop for more mundane marksmanship after you can do pretty well at the longer distances. The harder the shot, the more you will see any errors in your fundamentals and technique. Shooting at 75+ yards isn't that hard, but it is definitely unforgiving of errors or inconsistencies in your marksmanship.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    We did this at a training group and I believe one guy made a first round hit at 110yards? Someone may come and correct me. We started close and then moved back 10 yards each time and if you missed the first shot you were out. I think I made it to 80, missed at 90, and I didn't win. We had people dump whole mags. The problem is the more frustrated you get the more likely you are to miss. Lots of people missed, thought they did everything right so just threw another one out there quickly thinking they were just a touch off. We all stopped them when they started shooting the four quadrants hoping to let kentucky windage overcome the issue. I was using normal reloads and was holding on the head and hitting the chest of the 33% reduced IPSC target. It's fun to do and definitely tells you if you are skipping any part of the fundamentals. It's also a good way to see what matters and what doesn't to accomplish different tasks. Not to restart that famous INGO fight, but trigger control, sight alignment, and breathing are critical. Can't watch Kyle's video now but I will later.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Willing to bet that glock had some trigger work done. The handgun both me and my grandfather shoot best is his little snub nose Taurus revolver funny i know. At 25 yards i watched him shoot the black out of a 3inch orange target sticker gizmo. I may still have the target. It was Wilbur Wright pistol range which feels longer then 25yards to me. I was in shock he handed it to me and i put 3 of 5 in the black 1 in the orange 1 right out side of the orange. It had the sweetest single action trigger ive ever seen.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Willing to bet that glock had some trigger work done. The handgun both me and my grandfather shoot best is his little snub nose Taurus revolver funny i know. At 25 yards i watched him shoot the black out of a 3inch orange target sticker gizmo. I may still have the target. It was Wilbur Wright pistol range which feels longer then 25yards to me. I was in shock he handed it to me and i put 3 of 5 in the black 1 in the orange 1 right out side of the orange. It had the sweetest single action trigger ive ever seen.

That shot is entirely possible with a stock Glock trigger. And Im not nearly as good as the guy in the video. :-)

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Yes, it is possible, but I'll bet his Glock isn't very . . . stock.

And do not underrate your ability, sir.

This, I just found it weird he would stress sights and barrel but leave out trigger. Glock barrel is very underrated. While the trigger speaks for itself.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Kyle uses his sights, a Glock brand 3.5lb connector, his stippling, and for some guns(the ones he literally shot the rifling out of), a drop in match barrel.So yes, it's a stock glock trigger .It's still a plastic lawn mower gun with a safe action trigger. That's all skill.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Yes, it is possible, but I'll bet his Glock isn't very . . . stock.

And do not underrate your ability, sir.

No underrating here. I try to maintain a realistic view of my abilities. Besides, I haven't been behind the gun with much consistency in over a year. Work keeps me on the road too much. Whatever skills or abilities I had have faded significantly.

Top Bottom