• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I got 1.5 pound packs of Wrights bacon at Kroger a few weeks ago for $4.99 a pack with my rewards card, They can have my old land line number and address I lived at 16 years ago in exchange, I think I'll survive.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sigh...the information embedded in the barcode is the SAME information on the front of the DL. Not sure what the controversy is. Federal and State laws prevent their access to anything more...no SSN etc. The barcode is a convenience.
    -Snip-

I don't want them to have all the info that's printed on my driver's license in their database.
    So they can visually look at my date of birth and if they want more, they can keep it.

Which being that the law says if somebody looks under 40 they'll be "carded", and I'm in my 60's is totally absurd.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I got 1.5 pound packs of Wrights bacon at Kroger a few weeks ago for $4.99 a pack with my rewards card, They can have my old land line number and address I lived at 16 years ago in exchange, I think I'll survive.

But the point is, if they scan your license they get much more current information which they can then tag to all the other information and refine the profile they have on who you are and what your preferences are

What they do with your information isn't even really the biggest concern. There were already instances of organizations trading access to unique info they had to Facebook for enhanced access to Facebook data, so your information becomes a different type of currency in a different and much more opaque marketplace

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The less information harvested the better off the public is.
    Poop on these corporations that have to know everything in our lives.
    IF anyone thinks your info is safe and can be trusted in the hands of a nameless and faceless person behind a monitor in some office then you're nuts and living in La La Land.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks, Denny. (no sarcasm)

The point is PII and demographics data are big business these days. Can I say they are storing it? No. But given how data is big business these days, I could see them harvesting it. That is all the kind of data they and others drool over for marketing. If they asked us for it on the Kroger plus card application, we'd tell them to go to hell. But if they would simply grab it on the way by while they are there looking at the DOB, its easy peasy.

As I think I said earlier, you dont give people access to more than they need. By allowing the scan you are doing just that and setting it up for a breach.

EDIT: Another real world example is the new program Amazon is trying to roll out. Basically if you use certain electronic locks you can allow the courier to open your door and place the package safely inside your home away from porch pirates. Is that a good idea? Does the driver need access to your kitchen, bedrooms, etc? No But you granted it when you let them unlock your front door. There is literally no way to stop the driver from choosing to access those other areas at some time even though they dont normally.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’m not stressing over it... yeah it’s PII, but it’s non-sensitive PII. Nothing more really than you can get from googling someone’s name. Hell my DL still has the same weight I was when I turned 16. Lol

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That is so evil it is brilliant. My luck I'd get pulled over and forget to remove the fake barcode and end up in cuffs after the officer scanned it to retrieve my info and actually read the forged data. LOL

But I might just have to try it once just to see what happens.

Nah, not original enough. Get one that is an advertisement for a gentlemen's club!:laugh:

It sounds like we need to create a fake barcode sticker with bogus info just for use at these stores. This could be fun. Are there any legal reasons we can't apply a temporary sticker to the back of a DL?
    I believe this should do the job. :ingo:

Attachments

• barcode.gif
      barcode.gif
      5 KB · Views: 17

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I believe this should do the job. :ingo:

THAT is hilarious! You win the internets today.

For those that cant decode PDF417:

"I am cameramonkey and I say you can't have my info. According to INGO uncoiled rice fixes all things and wallets are frequently
    stolen by LEO during a traffic stop."

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    A couple things, and I wont quote specific posts, but here they are.

1. When working at a liquor store in college we scanned ID's to have a secondary verification after we looked at the date/image/etc. This didn't store any data, and nothing came up on our registers, it was a simple green or red light saying if the ID was valid (and I believe over 21, but don't remember 100%). This may or may not be what Kroger is using, and technology and data mining has advanced quite a bit in the last 10-12 years so I'm sure new technology is in use.

2. To whoever was talking about a rude bartender. The law when I first started in the alcohol business was card anyone that didn't appear to be 21, or anyone you had doubts about. Indiana changed the law to specifically state that it was required that EVERYONE be ID'd. I would watch and grumpy old men and women in their 60-90s *****ed and moaned about getting their ID's out. Indiana heard the backlash and changed the law to its current (i believe) wording that says anyone appearing under the age of 40. Now you could have come across this bartender right before or after the change and maybe didn't know as much as you thought you did...?

The bottom line is be polite and inquisitive, but don't make an ass out of yourself because maybe you don't know more than the other person.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A couple things, and I wont quote specific posts, but here they are.

1. When working at a liquor store in college we scanned ID's to have a secondary verification after we looked at the date/image/etc. This didn't store any data, and nothing came up on our registers, it was a simple green or red light saying if the ID was valid (and I believe over 21, but don't remember 100%). This may or may not be what Kroger is using, and technology and data mining has advanced quite a bit in the last 10-12 years so I'm sure new technology is in use.

2. To whoever was talking about a rude bartender. The law when I first started in the alcohol business was card anyone that didn't appear to be 21, or anyone you had doubts about. Indiana changed the law to specifically state that it was required that EVERYONE be ID'd. I would watch and grumpy old men and women in their 60-90s *****ed and moaned about getting their ID's out. Indiana heard the backlash and changed the law to its current (i believe) wording that says anyone appearing under the age of 40. Now you could have come across this bartender right before or after the change and maybe didn't know as much as you thought you did...?

The bottom line is be polite and inquisitive, but don't make an ass out of yourself because maybe you don't know more than the other person.

if you take the policy WebSnyper found, it appears they admit to collecting data.

I'm familiar with those scan verification boxes some bars are using. Yes, they simply verify the barcode is valid and the DOB in the data is >21 years in the past. That's not what Kroger, and possibly Meijer are doing. Those systems are tied into their computers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mea Culpa! I forgot you guys have some strange laws (we do too. I can't order wine on the internet because the distributor lobby has the legislature by the wallet)

Not far from me there is a converted 7-11 size store that sells nothing but beer, probably more than 600 varieties. Pricing isn't an issue because
    the state sets minimum prices and just about everything (except for really esoteric stuff) sells at minimum

"minimum prices" are BS, at least here. I see liquor stores and such that advertise cigarettes at "state minimum prices", yet I can go across the street to a gas station and get them for less. Somebody's lyin'...

Top Bottom