• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was telling the wife this last night. It would be real hard not to return fire. I still just can't believe how stupid people are. Shoot decoy from across the field, stalked it, then shoot it again? This "hunter" should never own a firearm.

Posting on a forum about how hard it would be to not return fire.............really?
    Some might say that such a person should not own a firearm.

Getting pelted, maybe even have some pellets go in.
    Return fire and maybe blind the other guy (or worse).
    Or maybe the kid that was with the other idiot...........

That's just awesome.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Posting on a forum about how hard it would be to not return fire.............really?
    Some might say that such a person should not own a firearm.

Getting pelted, maybe even have some pellets go in.
    Return fire and maybe blind the other guy (or worse).
    Or maybe the kid that was with the other idiot...........

That's just awesome.

You have a right to your own opinion, but mine is that yours is more than a little bit self-righteous.

If someone gets shot, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to just assume it's merely some dumba** who accidentally shot them and that there is no real threat. There's nothing macho about it. People have the right to defend themselves even when they're engaged in the noble endeavor of hunting.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    You have a right to your own opinion, but mine is that yours is more than a little bit self-righteous.

If someone gets shot, I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to just assume it's merely some dumba** who accidentally shot them and that there is no real threat. There's nothing macho about it. People have the right to defend themselves even when they're engaged in the noble endeavor of hunting.

Exactly. Accidents are accidents. I wouldn't ever shoot anyone over a hunting mishap but in the story above is the guy really that stupid or were there other intentions?
    No macho bs here, but in that particular case, I might wonder what the heck he was trying to accomplish.. So I'll continue to carry my handgun for "coup de grace."

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Trying to accomplish?

I think he is/was just another dumb rural New Market / Alamo hillbilly who only THINKS he knows what hunting is all about and HOW to properly go about doing it.

And no, I don't know who the shooter is.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Get down behind cover, call out to the idiot. If you can quickly gain cover, you might want to put some distance between the two of you. If you can't get cover, I wouldn't move, as the movement might tempt the moron into shooting at the running "animal." If shots continue after you make your presence known, it's likely not an accident. Then you can work out how to return fire if egress is not an option.

But I'm not shooting first and asking questions later.

Hookeye might be onto something about the "accidents." Ive known hunters who hate each other, and very well might find a way to have a hunting accident.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Trying to accomplish?

I think he is/was just another dumb rural New Market / Alamo hillbilly who only THINKS he knows what hunting is all about and HOW to properly go about doing it.

And no, I don't know who the shooter is.

Maybe so. It takes a real genius to shoot a decoy, stalk it and shoot it again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Do wonder if he took the shot and came in on same line for 2nd shot.
    That'd be extra stupid.

Losing direction in thick stuff, could have thought the bird a different one.

No gobble calls. No tom dekes.

Wouldn't surprise me if the moron was blasting at hen dekes though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

I got lit up at Winamac yrs ago, with 6 shot in a dove field. If not for a branch deflecting some I might have been blinded.
    Have had poachers shoot at me in deer season.

You don't escalate the situation. If they are stupid enough to shoot you (or at you), they may up the game and shoot you again (or have similar idiots with them).

Getting sprayed with shot, and spraying them back........yeah, good way to blind somebody. Maybe somebody with them that is of no fault.

If you know the intent, and have a definitive target and want to "defend" yourself, go for it. And if you are wrong or hit somebody else..............enjoy the aftermath.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, I got the plate number of the guy that nailed me at Winamac back in the 90's.
    Don't think the DNR did anything about it.
    Gramps, dad and kid...........all from Kokomo.
    UAW dipsh*ts.
    Never saw those SOB's up there after that (hunted it quite a bit for years after- safety glasses too).

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Closest I've come is hearing shot rain down through the leaves around me. If it had hit me I doubt I would have known it. Public land has some inherent risks.

Of course, poachers are a wild card, but not as plentiful on private land as idiots on public ground.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Do wonder if he took the shot and came in on same line for 2nd shot.
    That'd be extra stupid.

Losing direction in thick stuff, could have thought the bird a different one.

No gobble calls. No tom dekes.

Wouldn't surprise me if the moron was blasting at hen dekes though.

Phillips had set up some decoys along the edge of the field and was attempting to call in a turkey. Dawson noticed the decoys but had mistaken them for actual turkeys. Dawson took a shot from across the field at the decoys. Dawson then began stalking the decoys. Phillips had gotten up after he noticed his decoys had been shot at. Dawson came in from the back side of the decoys and fired a single shot at the decoys, striking Phillips, who was in the field beyond the decoys.

Pasted from original story. Shot from across the field, then circled behind decoys... And the other hunter and shot him and the decoys.... Real Genius.

OK, what are the ramifications for punching the guy in the face? If He sued could you counter sue for "firearm negligence" or something?
    Oh, some might think this is macho bs, I'm just bs-ing over the Internet but do wonder about this.....

Top Bottom