• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I decided to make a thread on this important subject as I'm learning slowly about the different steel types, and uses.

So I'll start out asking about a few different steel types and if someone can let me what they are good for and maybe compared to I'd appreciate it.

I seen this today. How is this steel for knives, and what is it comparable to?
    Sandvik 12c27

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Not all steels listed, but a lot of the major ones...

Edged Tools

Your EDC Knife Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    Sandvik 12c27
    Looks like it’s comparable to AUS 8 and ATS 34

At least according to this page

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I decided to make a thread on this important subject as I'm learning slowly about the different steel types, and uses.

So I'll start out asking about a few different steel types and if someone can let me what they are good for and maybe compared to I'd appreciate it.

Sandvik 12c27
    Let me give you the low down. Almost any modern steel in a knife made by a reputable company is gonna be a good steel. It is not like back in the late 90's/early 2000's when a lot a soft garbage steel was hitting the market. Heat treats have also come a long way. The most important thing is buy a blade made by a reputable company with a lifetime warranty, and buy it from a reputable dealer. There are a lot of knock offs out there. Buy from a direct dealer and you cut down on your issues.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've doing some more studying on steel and that Sandvik Steel 14C28N looks like a really good steel. Good corrosion resistance, easy to sharpen, very tough, edge retention isn't as good as others, but a person can sharpen it as needed.

Magnacut looks very good as well. Similar properties but better edge retention.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    14C28N has a fine grain structure. It comes from the same Sandvik that is used for razor blades. I have a Kershaw Leek with that steel. It will get stupid sharp. I wouldn't choose it for a large chopper, but for a small knife that needs a fine edge, it works well.
    Knife steel nerds rate it an 9 on toughness.
    Unless I'm mistaken on what toughness means it should hold up well chopping wood and other survival needs.
    Edge retention isn't as good rated at 3, but one can sharpen it as needed. They say it sharpens easily.
    They rated it an 8.5 on corrosion resistance.

Like I said unless I'm misunderstanding the meaning of steel toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance this 14C28N sounds like a decent steel for a knife, and it's reasonably priced.

Last edited:

BRHiker

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2023
    Anderson
    14C28N is a wonderful steel for everything from a little pocket knife to a big chopper. The fine grain structure is partly why it is so tough. Simply tweak the heat treatment depending on the knife's specific application. There is always a tradeoff between edge retention and toughness, no steel is going to be the best of both.

Another factor that "toughness" has in relation to the edge, is that it allows the edge to be ground much thinner so you can have greater cutting performance from less meat behind the edge. The higher carbide steels need to be slightly thicker behind the edge for strength. Another reason why I prefer steels like 14C28N and AEB-L over "super steels."

Top Bottom