• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    No, in both states I actually went and read their statutes and there is nothing stating nonresidents can carry OC. Michigan actually specifies "legal Michigan residents".
    Rather than going by what others have done in the past I go by what is published for each specific state. Just because one has gotten away with OC'ing in another state does not mean it is legal for a nonresident to carry there and I will not inform someone it is legal to do so.
    There is a huge difference between OC friendly to legal residents and OC friendly to nonresidents and until I either read the statute myself or someone shows me the exact statute that says its legal I will go with what is published.

You have said twice now it is acceptable and yet have not provided the statute in either case saying an Indiana LTCH can OC in either state.

That's not the way the law works. They don't pass laws to make things legal.

Have you seen anything that states that it ILLEGAL for a non-resident to OC? If not then you have to assume it's legal, the same as it would be for a resident.

I'll try to see if I can find anything that specifically states as much though (like va FAQ or some other semi-official document) but don't hold your breath.

You say it's illegal so the burden of proof is on you to show where it says that. It goes back to that ol' "you can't prove a negative" idea.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    That's not the way the law works. They don't pass laws to make things legal.

Have you seen anything that states that it ILLEGAL for a non-resident to OC? If not then you have to assume it's legal, the same as it would be for a resident.

I'll try to see if I can find anything that specifically states as much though (like va FAQ or some other semi-official document) but don't hold your breath.

You say it's illegal so the burden of proof is on you to show where it says that. It goes back to that ol' "you can't prove a negative" idea.

As I just stated, Michigan says "legal Michigan resident" and makes no considerations for nonresident. They also go on to say in the case of OC the handgun has to be certified, whatever that means. I can almost guarantee no Indiana resident has gone through the process of having their handgun certified in Michigan unless they live on the border.

Also, the permits issued in both States are Concealed Pistol permits, not license to carry. I won't play semantics when their recognized permit is concealed carry and will not advise someone otherwise.

When it comes to something that draws an automatic felony if you are in the wrong, I tend to err on the side of caution. Their laws may not say OC is illegal, but their permit system says it is for concealed carry. Since you must abide by the location you are and not the location you come from, I'm not taking someones word that they've done it when other things suggest different. LEO's may have just thought you a resident and you got a free ride, the OP here may not get as lucky.

As I have already said, contact the AG of the state you're visiting and verify yourself. Things are too murky with the laws and the permit system they have set up.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    As I just stated, Michigan says "legal Michigan resident" and makes no considerations for nonresident. They also go on to say in the case of OC the handgun has to be certified, whatever that means. I can almost guarantee no Indiana resident has gone through the process of having their handgun certified in Michigan unless they live on the border.

Also, the permits issued in both States are Concealed Pistol permits, not license to carry. I won't play semantics when their recognized permit is concealed carry and will not advise someone otherwise.

When it comes to something that draws an automatic felony if you are in the wrong, I tend to err on the side of caution. Their laws may not say OC is illegal, but their permit system says it is for concealed carry. Since you must abide by the location you are and not the location you come from, I'm not taking someones word that they've done it when other things suggest different. LEO's may have just thought you a resident and you got a free ride, the OP here may not get as lucky.

As I have already said, contact the AG of the state you're visiting and verify yourself. Things are too murky with the laws and the permit system they have set up.

Well if you meant you didn't THINK you could OC there then that is quite different.

That's NOT what you said:

Kentucky is a CCW state, don't OC.

No qualifiers at all.

Sounds like misinformation to me & now you're just backpeddling when called on it.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    No permit required in Kentucky to OC. Never has been, even before KY got a CCW permit system. Also in the town/county my family is in, Franklin/Simpson county, it is very liberal as to what constitutes concealed. Handgun in your waistband or back pocket as long as the grip is visible is not concealed.

That's the way local LEO interpret.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Read the handgunlaw.us website and you will be fine. They have quirky laws like not being able to go into any place that serves alcohol. It does not say you can't drink but rather you can't be in there with your firearm period. It is a very stingy state to say the least;)

That's not quite true. You may go into a restaurant that serves alcohol, just not into a bar, or bar portion of the restaurant.

Here's the statute...

(e) Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic
    beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the
    establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose;

Top Bottom