• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Im going to catch a lot of flak for the next statement but I dont care, let it rip.

I put off buying a PF9 for a couple of years because I didn't know enough people that had one to get reliable feedback on them. At this time I have tons of positive feedback on them.

I know way too many people that have or have had a PF9 and had absolutely no problems with them to think that all these reports of FTF and FTE are all the guns fault. Could it be that some are using ammo that wont feed correctly and dont try other types or limp wristing even? Im not putting down anyone's experience with shooting, God knows everyone on here is an expert, but the PF9 is a sub compact gun that fires full power 9mm ammunition. Its not for everybody and not everyone shoots this particular gun proficiently. I have let people at the range try mine and after one shot they just hand it back and say that isn't for me.

I also hear I sent it back and now it works perfectly. Really what exactly did Kel-Tec do? Did they just polish the feed ramp or did they actually fix a problem?

So its not that I'm blaming the expertise of everyone that has had problems but I wonder if its just possible some of the problems being reported are actually shooter error. Just something for anyone considering purchasing a PF9 to ponder.

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I took my PF-9 to the range with my Dad and his friend. I shot several magazines through my PF-9 with zero issues. I've never had any from the get go.

I handed it to each of them and they had stovepipes on each of their first mags.

Took it back and it was fine. I'm convinced that it is mostly the shooter.

That being said, the PF-9 shouldn't be that shooter finicky. There are plenty of pistols out there that you can limp wrist all day and not have any issues.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That being said, the PF-9 shouldn't be that shooter finicky. There are plenty of pistols out there that you can limp wrist all day and not have any issues.

It is great to think that, but you can't cheat physics. Think of it this way, almost all pistols would not cycle if the trigger was pulled with a string and they were laying on their side. There is more inertia in the slide than the grip. It would rotate the gun.

The weaker you make the recoil spring, the more positive you are the gun will cycle, but the more felt recoil (or impact of the recoil) you will get.

You are part of the weapon system. If you want a gun that is forgiving to limp wrists, you have to move up to full sized. I can limp wrist a P3AT, LCP, Kahr and make them all jam.

I have never had a jam on my Kel-Tecs, but I shoot them with a firm grip, attacking the target. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I will have to agree with some folks here...

I've had a P3AT since february.. I bought it with only a couple hundred rounds down the tube. I can see how this (and the PF9) aren't "range guns" but lemme just say this.. I really enjoy shooting. I am a new shooter. I also have a P3AT as my first handgun and thoroughly enjoy the challenge of mastering the learning curve of this pistol.

I to notice if I limpwrist it, it will occasionally jam. Not the gun's fault. Just an inherent factor with such a lightweight pistol. I have allowed a few others to shoot it and they seem EXTREMELY caught off guard by the punch that this little pistol packs.

I have shot over 500 rounds (at the range) through it with minimal drama. The trigger pin slipped out and freaked me out. Some blue loctite, a pick tool and a few minutes and I was back in business. The .380 is very easy to pocket carry and I absolutely love shooting this little thing. My wife says it's like the "noisy cricket" from Men In Black.

I just got the Big brother to the P3AT last week, the P11. I haven't shot it yet and the trigger is very different than the P3AT. I got some goodies for it and am super excited to go blow a couple hundred rounds through it this weekend. I think Kel Tecs are similar to Glocks in that you either love 'em or hate 'em.

I keep reading that Kel Tecs aren't a good idea for a new shooter, but I feel the opposite. I haven't shot a gun before (at length) so I have nothing to compare it to. I shot my brother's Glock before and didn't care for it much. He has the 'compact' one (which ever one that is) and It just didn't fire well for me (comfort wise)..

YMMV but I love both my Kel Tecs and would most likely purchase another.

I opted to NOT get the PF9 due to perceived recoil (it's very light weight) and smaller capacity. This is why I chose the P11. It has a bit more heft to it (to lessen perceived recoil) and round capacity (if you get the 12 or 15 round mags).

DM1975

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    In regards to my P3-AT: I definitely don't want to limp wrist it.
    It is definitely not a range gun.
    If I am going to carry it, I put the same value
    ammo in it as that which I value my life. :)

jdeere18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    I carry a PF9 all the time not exactly a everyday Range gun due to the kick but when i have to use it I know it will do the job that I want it to

Top Bottom