• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I'm thinking about buying a Sub 2000 in .40 cal, mainly because they are cheap and my ammo and magazines are universal. Anyone have any input on these?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i want one too. i want the one that accepts glock mags because i already have them. i have handled several at the range and i really like them. everyone i know that has them says they are nice and they really enjoy them.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I had a .40 that took the Glock 22 mags. They are not too bad for fun but, keep in mind that its just a big pistol. It is not a carbine or a rifle. Do not expect to shoot long distances with it.

Also I saw a post about the 30 round mags. I bought 2 of the Scherer 29 round mags for mine and they were both junk.

Bottom line, for a play gun it is great!!! But, don't waste ur money on the mags or even consider the gun for any kind of self defense. No particular reason why, as a former owner, I just wouldn't do it.

Zachoff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    I picked one up in .40 a few weeks ago. So far it shot nice and tight out to 75'. (The back of the indoor range). Can't wait to try at the longer outside range distances. Handled fine with, IMO low recoil. I'm use to Mosins, so what recoil! I did manage to break the cheap red front sight blade. Be carefull and read the instructions before you, (Literally) screw around with the adjustments. Ordered two more on line and should get them by the end of the week. Bought two Scherer hi cap mags, but have not tried them yet. Note, the Glock version comes with a ten shot mag.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I had a .40 that took the Glock 22 mags. They are not too bad for fun but, keep in mind that its just a big pistol. It is not a carbine or a rifle. Do not expect to shoot long distances with it.

Also I saw a post about the 30 round mags. I bought 2 of the Scherer 29 round mags for mine and they were both junk.

Bottom line, for a play gun it is great!!! But, don't waste ur money on the mags or even consider the gun for any kind of self defense. No particular reason why, as a former owner, I just wouldn't do it.

I don't own one, but I may get one.

May I ask why you wouldn't use a .40 handgun for any kind of self defense?

As far as I know, they're reliable enough. The caliber can certainly do the job... So, why not?

Zachoff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    My first fifty shot with JHP's went through without a problem. Used the magazine that came with it. I have heard that the Scherer mag's can cause issues. So far, I'm thinking it's a very good choice for mid range home defense. Now I'm not an expert pistol shooter, but I find it more controllable and precise 20-25'. Longer sight plan yields less than 1"-1.5" groups, 10 shot quick firing. Interchangeable mag's with my G27. Good to go!

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have one of those, just like you are thinking about. It uses Glock mags. Some use other mags.

I think it is a really cool gun and everyone who has shot it likes it. Heartily recommended.

Zachoff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    Stay away from the Scherer Mags. The two that I purchased failed with the Kel-Tec Sub-2000!!! They fail after the first shot. They are garbage. The Glock 15 round mags worked flawlessly. I hope that someone will make a high capacity mag that works. Yesterday the Sub-2000 shot well at 75'. I did have some sight adjustment problems, but once zeroed, had 1-2" groups at that distance with fairly rapid firing rate.

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    If you're interested, you might like to know that Kel-Tec was showing one off at SHOT that was sporting a quadrail forearm instead of the standard plastic, if you're into that kind of thing. No idea when those'll be available.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If you're interested, you might like to know that Kel-Tec was showing one off at SHOT that was sporting a quadrail forearm instead of the standard plastic, if you're into that kind of thing. No idea when those'll be available.

They are available now. I know, 'cause my sub has one on it.

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    They are available now. I know, 'cause my sub has one on it.

Yeah, you can get them now from the Kel-Tec website. 2 or 4 rail options availible.

There's more pics of the Subbie with the new rails on them on KTOG.org, taken by owners/users.

I have a Glock 19 9mm version that I did some modding to.
    They didn't have the new rails at the time, so I just took off the OG fore-end and put on 6 NC Star quad rails in a row with some UTG rail covers, a light/laser combo on the bottom, and took off the front sight post (I broke the red plastic piece as well, haha) and put a barrel shroud up at the front end. It's sporting a Bushnell Holosight now.

All I need is a sling and it's set.. I'm through with it. Still folds up.. not all the way, but good enough. About an inch and a half from completely doing so. Fun gun to shoot!

Recently bought a G26 at the last 1500 and love how I can share mags between the two now! I just bought 6 more aftermarket Glock mags last night. 3 G19 & 3 G17 33 rounders
    :rockwoot:

JoeMumz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    I have a 9mm kept jamming when i first got it sent it back to the manufacturer after it came back worked fine.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    eh, they can be okay. I would clean the crap out of it every time you go to the range. They seem to gunk up pretty quick. But they are fun to shoot, no weight to them, and the pistol mags are pretty clever. I'd give it a B

Top Bottom