• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmartin72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Covington
    I know one of Indiana's new laws allows people to keep their firearms locked in their car out of sight at work. My question for the legal eagles is, are there any employers that are exempt from this law.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Of course a public school as an employer is exempt. My wifes company of 22 years has always had a policy of no alcohol in your vehicle on company property, but that doesn't mean she doesn't get beer or wine from Sam's club on lunch...Concealed Means Concealed.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    My work is among those with an exemption Duke Energy damn power company. Although I do institute Concerned's method of concealed means concealed. I just don't make it public info, I mean I drive home through 3 round-a-bouts in avon. I think a firearm should be a requirement driving through that mess.:draw:

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    EXEMPT PROPERTIES
    Certain properties, however, are exempt from the law and include the following:
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home;
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home; or
    (F) a child care center; in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, 465 IAC 2-13-77, or 470 IAC 3-4.7-19;
    (3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-41-1-21);
    (4) in violation of federal law;
    (5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));
    (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter;
    (7) at a person’s residence;
    (8) on the property of a person that is:
    (A) subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security’s Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards
    (B) licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission under Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
    (9) on property owned by:
    (A) a public utility (as defined in IC 8-1-2-1) that generates and transmits electric power; or
    (B) a department of public utilities created under IC 8-1-11.1; or
    (10) in the employee’s personal vehicle if the employee, including a contract employee, is a direct support professional
    who:
    (A) works directly with individuals with developmental disabilities to assist the individuals to become integrated into the individuals’ community or least restrictive environment; and
    (B) uses the employee’s personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities. What the exemption means is that employers which have the above mentioned types of properties can have a policy prohibiting firearms from being brought onto their property.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    There are exemptions in the law as you can see, but I don't see anything that says that a company can file for an exemption. I also don't see anything about telecom companies.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    IC 8-1-2-1
    Definitions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in section 1.1 of this chapter, "public utility", as used in this chapter, means every corporation, company, partnership, limited liability company, individual, association of individuals, their lessees, trustees, or receivers appointed by a court, that may own, operate, manage, or control any plant or equipment within the state for the:
    (1) conveyance of telegraph or telephone messages;
    (2) production, transmission, delivery, or furnishing of heat, light, water, or power; or
    (3) collection, treatment, purification, and disposal in a sanitary manner of liquid and solid waste, sewage, night soil, and industrial waste.
    The term does not include a municipality that may acquire, own, or operate any of the foregoing facilities.
    (b) "Municipal council", as used in this chapter, means the legislative body of any town or city in Indiana wherein the property of the public utility or any part thereof is located.
    (c) "Municipality", as used in this chapter, means any city or town of Indiana.
    (d) "Rate", as used in this chapter, means every individual or joint rate, fare, toll, charge, rental, or other compensation of any utility or any two (2) or more such individual or joint rates, fares, tolls, charges, rentals, or other compensation of any utility or any schedule or tariff thereof, but nothing in this subsection shall give the commission any control, jurisdiction, or authority over the rate charged by a municipally owned utility except as in this chapter expressly provided.
    (e) "Service" is used in this chapter in its broadest and most inclusive sense and includes not only the use or accommodation afforded consumers or patrons but also any product or commodity furnished by any public or other utility and the plant, equipment, apparatus, appliances, property, and facility employed by any public or other utility in performing any service or in furnishing any product or commodity and devoted to the purposes in which such public or

other utility is engaged and to the use and accommodation of the public.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    There you have it sir!!! By the code definition of a utility I don't really know what the law actually did for carrying in your vehicle at a workplace:n00b:

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    so, let me get this correct....from my understanding, as a telecom employee, i can NOT legally conceal a weapon in my personal car while at work? that's what i get from it.
    According to my interpretation of the law and the definition of a utility no you are in violation by doing so. There in lies the question of if nobody knows then how will it come to be an issue. Loose lips sink ships and can get you fired from your utility career.:yesway:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    so, let me get this correct....from my understanding, as a telecom employee, i can NOT legally conceal a weapon in my personal car while at work? that's what i get from it.

You can still legally keep a weapon in your car or even on your person at work.

This law never made it illegal to do so at these excepted places.

The exception exist for these companies to be able to enforce their own rules and terminate your employment for doing so if they choose.

If your excepted employer is not a property where it was already specifically illegal to have a firearm, it's still not illegal to have it there now.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    You can still legally keep a weapon in your car or even on your person at work.

This law never made it illegal to do so at these excepted places.

The exception exist for these companies to be able to enforce their own rules and terminate your employment for doing so if they choose.

If your excepted employer is not a property where it was already specifically illegal to have a firearm, it's still not illegal to have it there now.

If it is a public utility which by definition can include telecom then your company can ban weapons on the property. If they have posted signs you are subject to repercussions for violating the ban. It all depends on if they have posted signs or a written rule.

Top Bottom