• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I went with my father for a mutual Christmas gift to see "The Road" together.

It is a very dark movie, mostly the interaction of the father and son, but with a lot of "remembrances" of the mother by the father.

What I liked about the movie was that it did not seem to pull many punches as far as human depravity could go in a crisis. The world had turned to a very dark place and many people had abandoned whatever morals or ethics they had just to survive.

That said, I was somewhat disappointed with the believability of the movie. The boy seemed too naive, too sheltered. I could understand this if the boy had been this age when the "event" happened. However, the boy was raised in a post holocaust environment. I could picture Michael Biens character in "Terminator" much better than this lad. Not to slam his acting, it was quite good!

I was also at a loss of why reaching the coast was so important. I went along with it for the movies sake, but there was no logic behind the fathers goal. Were there rumors of a better life? Did they hear through the grapevine that living there was easier? "No" to both questions.

I could have better understood just traveling south where the weather would be warmer during the winter, like in "The Day After Tomorrow."

The thing I did not like was the fact that nothing was growing. I find this to be pure balderdash! You will find plants growing on the arctic tundra. You can find plants growing near hot vents in boiling water under the ocean. You find that while one or two species my succumb to environmental changes others will move in to take their place. That is why it is called an ecosystem. Besides, if all the plants did die then the atmosphere goes "poof" and all the solar radiation burns us to death - end of story.

I won't spoil the movie for anyone, but I will comment later on their interaction with others. I think that needs to be discussed. I will wait a week or two before making my comments on that and give everyone a chance to see the movie.

I saw this movie at the Carmike cinema in Fort Wayne on the north side of town, just off of Dupont Road and Hwy #69. FYI, showtimes this weekend are: Sat 1:15PM, 6:30PM; Sun 1:15P & 6:30P. It still isn't playing at the Rave or Regal, at least in Fort Wayne.

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas!

Regards,

Doug

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I read the book this last summer. I'm itching to see the movie... if it would be showing anywhere around Indianapolis.

The book explains alot of your questions about why their heading south, why the forest are depleted and the nature of the boy. It's a great read and I still think you'd enjoy it even after seeing the movie.

The ROAD, by Cormac McCarthy

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dryden,

I am probably certain that I would like the book more than the movie.

I know the director doesn't have the time to tell you the details that the author does but I do wish this director would have taken the time to explain a little more, particularly about the southbound reasoning.

I can usually set aside disbelief to try and enjoy a piece of fiction, but I have a hard time understanding someones reasoning without it being explained. It doesn't have to be good reasoning, just something so I can think "Ok, I see where he is coming from."

Plant loss would be a huge issue to try to explain away. Last night just had "Life after Humans" or whatnot on the History channel. They explored the city that was evacuated due to the Chernobyl accident. Initially there was massive destruction of both flora and fauna. Today, tremendous regrowth of each. Everyone is astounded as t what is growing and flourishing after such a tremendous accident.

So, I still say a good movie with excellent acting. Maybe the directors cut will have more detail to my liking.

Regards,

Doug

protongun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    My father and I also wen to see this movie this week. I actually liked it quite well, as you said pretty dark, but i thought it was pretty good. My father however did not like it as it was too depressing for him, he was noticeably down in the dumps after watching it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I finally got the chance to watch it last night. Had to go to the 10:10 showing, and didn't get home until 1:30, and in bed at 2 am. Just to catch enough sleep to wake up at 4 to go to work.

I have to say that it was not worth missing all my sleep to go watch it. And it was not worth the $20 I paid for 2 tickets.

Kerasotes East Showplace 11 in Bloomington had terrible film quality, with lots of "blips" on the screen and crackles and pops in the audio.

Regarding the movie. I think it could've been more accurate. The biggest things that stood out in my mind were the fact that there were "fresh" cornstalks and dead leaves all around. Clearly showing that there is plant life in recent existence and that everything hasn't been dead for years. But I guess it is hard to find a place on this planet to film where there is absolutely no plant life, so I won't be too critical of that.

The semi on the bridge was inaccurate. In the book it was a box trailer that the old man climbed on top of to peer down inside. The movie showed a flatbed.

The movie completely skipped where the old man took his shoes off and walked through the old apple orchard to find the dried apples under the snow and ash. I thought that was a critical point that showed just really how desperate they were for any source of nourishment.

Oh, and the baot. In the book it was portrayed as a smaller, sail-boat, but the movie showed a large vessel. In the book he made multiple trips, and the thief stole the items from their camp while they were both down the beach near the boat. In the movie the thief stole the items while the boy slept in the camp and the father was on the boat.

And didn't he fire 2 flares at the guy with the bow and arrows in the book? He hit his mark on the first shot in the movie.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Accurate enough retelling for me

Just went to see the movie last night after the Showplace monopoly in Schererville finally decided to give ONE of their 28 theatres to this film.

I felt they stayed true to the book as much as a movie can. I don't think there's a single movie that originated in print that has stayed 100% true to the novel. I'm young, but all books turned movies have been butchered to some extent.

My only question is this. Everyone seems to think that this is a SHTF film, I do not. In Patriots, One Second After etc., there is always hope to be had, people to band with, etc.

In 'The Road', it seems like the goal is simply to prolong deaths coming, and not so much as to restore life and civilization. Even in the book, I pictured the shotgun weilding savior of the boy to be someone who had found a way to sustain himself. In the movie, the family still seemed like they were in a similar, but slightly better, position as the father and the boy.

But then again, the interpretation of everyone's situation by the reader was what made the book so good.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    My interpretation of the book was that it was about a father/son relation during the worst of possible conditions. It was about a father willing to do whatever it takes to keep his son alive.
    I'm hoping to see the movie tomorrow.

Newg: Thanks for the heads up. I've been searching all over looking for a theater to show it.:yesway:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Newg: Thanks for the heads up. I've been searching all over looking for a theater to show it.:yesway:
    I'm not sure of the web address. But I went to the official website for the movie, and it had a link to look for theatres in your area that are showing it. That is how I found out that it was showing in Bloomington.

Top Bottom