• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If someone did that to me they'd likely get disarmed and hit...really really dont like having a gun pointed at me anymore and take it pretty damn personally when it does happen.

My first thought as well.
    Knock him on his butt and chase his idiot friend down the street.
    I know there are other ways to deal with this but hey, I get excited easily.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't care what the situation is. If a handgun is pointed at me I see that as a threat!!! I would have pulled mine out, pointed it at his face, and asked "how does that feel"??? Then I would have said that I had one chambered but my finger isn't on the trigger, so it's OK right??? What a freaking idiot!!!

Then you would have been a dangerous felon, too.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like you handled this as well as you could have. I have a neighbor I wouldn't mind punching now and then (has an ego the size of your neighbor from the sounds of it, real Napolean syndrome issues), but really, no one wants to fight with their neighbor. But YIKES and holy hell, that was a close call in the scheme of things! I suspect he won't be looking you in the eye anytime soon, he ought to be terribly ashamed of himself once his pride settles down.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Stories like this make me appreciate my neighbors even more. I wouldn't blame you for calling the cops but that could make life in the future worse. I would sure let him know its a felony. I feel bad for you for living next door to such a db.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    If he can't understand the way you're explaining his wrong; let the police explain it to him. Some folks just have to be hit up side the head with a 2 x 4.... :xmad:

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    When I was younger I was hit from behind with a shotgun that "went off" accidentally. I was very lucky that it mostly killed my coat and did not do much damage to me. You handled this much more politely than I would have.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Far as I can tell. you handled it a lot better than some internet commandos who claim they would have beat, disarmed or shot him...and called the police.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah, and beating his ass would have done that too! A threat is a threat!

It clearly was not a threat if simply swatting his hand away was sufficient to eliminate it. Beating his ass or pulling your gun on him would rightfully earn you a prison sentence. Lets not answer stupidity with more stupidity. It makes all gun owners look bad.

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It clearly was not a threat if simply swatting his hand away was sufficient to eliminate it. Beating his ass or pulling your gun on him would rightfully earn you a prison sentence. Lets not answer stupidity with more stupidity. It makes all gun owners look bad.

I am glad that you said this. I was going to say that two wrongs don't make a right. OP, you may want to print the 4 rules and put it on his windshield or in his mailbox. Even if you don't think it will do anything, at least you have peace of mind that you are trying to educate him. We older folks don't know everything. We can still learn from you young'uns.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    People who don't want to follow safety rules will always have an excuse for why they should be the exception.

This.

Also OP, it's good you were able to remain calm during this encounter, otherwise things could have gone downhill quickly. Kudos!

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    It's not common sense. It's a learned behavior. You have to be taught to respect a firearm (or any other weapon). It's not just something that you are born knowing. People intuitively think that "if the gun is unloaded, then it's safe", but they fail to realize that people make mistakes. The gun isn't always unloaded when they think it is. Heck, in my dojo, students aren't even allowed to touch a bo until they've been training for two years and that's just a stick.

I guess to me, it seems like a common sense thing. Just with accidents being made public more and more often with gun cleaning accidents, and showing off accidents etc... But you are correct. It is learned, and some people have not heard of all the crazy accidents and learned to not aim at something they would not want to fire at.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I guess to me, it seems like a common sense thing. Just with accidents being made public more and more often with gun cleaning accidents, and showing off accidents etc... But you are correct. It is learned, and some people have not heard of all the crazy accidents and learned to not aim at something they would not want to fire at.

I hate the term "common sense". "Common sense" is another way of saying "something that I think I know that I expect everyone else to know, too". Anti's use it all the time when proposing new gun laws. "It's just common sense!" Because, you see, if you oppose their "common sense gun law", then you must be lacking in common sense. "Common sense" has no meaning whatsoever except as a way to "prove" how much smarter you are than the other guy.

Oldsmolet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hate the term "common sense". "Common sense" is another way of saying "something that I think I know that I expect everyone else to know, too". Anti's use it all the time when proposing new gun laws. "It's just common sense!" Because, you see, if you oppose their "common sense gun law", then you must be lacking in common sense. "Common sense" has no meaning whatsoever except as a way to "prove" how much smarter you are than the other guy.

I can see your point, but is it not common sense that something that could kill someone shouldn't be pointed at people?

I didn't have to learn to not put my arm in the fan of a running car.

Top Bottom