Just realized a problem with how I carry. Advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hello everyone! I was just perusing this sub forum and made a realization of a problem on how I carry. I finally got my LTCH earlier this year. My EDC is a Bersa Thunder .380 Plus. I CC it IWB at about a 7-8 o'clock position (i'm a lefty). My realization is that if I ever needed to draw my weapon for SD, I would need to use both hands to be able to fire the weapon. This is because the safety on the gun is only on the left side of the gun so I would need my other hand to take it off "safe". Sure, it might only take a fraction longer to draw with my left hand and take it off "safe" with my right hand, but the longer it takes me, the closer the BG could get. Is this a reasonable concern or am I worrying about nothing? What do you all think?

Single side safety:
    bersa_thunder_380_plus.jpg

*EDIT* - I also failed to mention that I have a SA 1911 GI .45 and a Charter Arms .38spl at my disposal if anyone thinks either of those would make a more viable EDC over my Bersa.

Last edited:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    If it's as pictured, it's just like my wife's. I've had no difficulty flipping the safety with my right thumb after drawing with my right hand.

did i misunderstand?

admittedly, it is more awkward than my 1911 since the safety rotates, but no problems really.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm a lefty too, and always had a hard time first of all even finding holsters/guns that were compatible with being a lefty. Here are a couple suggestions:

1. Find a gun that is ambidextrous or doesn't have a safety. Being lefty was one of the reasons why I started shooting Glocks. You can also take a look at Springfield XD and S&W M&P lines.

2. Change your grip/draw to be right handed. In my first year of shooting, I found several problems with being a lefty. Most guns (well, EVERYTHING for that matter) are geared toward the majority which are right handed. I decided to change everything. My grip, my stance, my draw. I now carry just like a right handed person does, but I still use my left eye for sight alignment. It took some practice to do it, but after 10 or so years of shooting handguns, it has become second nature.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hello everyone! I was just perusing this sub forum and made a realization of a problem on how I carry. I finally got my LTCH earlier this year. My EDC is a Bersa Thunder .380 Plus. I CC it IWB at about a 7-8 o'clock position (i'm a lefty). My realization is that if I ever needed to draw my weapon for SD, I would need to use both hands to be able to fire the weapon. This is because the safety on the gun is only on the left side of the gun so I would need my other hand to take it off "safe". Sure, it might only take a fraction longer to draw with my left hand and take it off "safe" with my right hand, but the longer it takes me, the closer the BG could get. Is this a reasonable concern or am I worrying about nothing? What do you all think?

Single side safety:
    bersa_thunder_380_plus.jpg

*EDIT* - I also failed to mention that I have a SA 1911 GI .45 and a Charter Arms .38spl at my disposal if anyone thinks either of those would make a more viable EDC over my Bersa.

Some folks guffaw at ergonomics on a SD handgun, but us southpaws fully understand the problem. I purchased a S&W MP, mainly because of the ergonomics and it being fully compatible for left handed use. The magazine release can be flipped over to accommodate us quite easily.

They make a model with a manual safety, if you feel you need that. The MP compact isn't much bigger than the Bersa.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also note: You're not obligated to carry the Bersa with the safety on.

It's perfectly safe to carry that pistol with the safety off and the hammer down.

-J-

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you practice, you can become proficient whether drawing from the left or right. How often do you practice drawing and taking the gun off of safe?

You must feel comfortable with your carry and willing to trust your abilities. If you believe you are at a disadvantage and encounter a situation where you must draw your weapon, will you hesitate because you are thinking about that one second? I'm not sure.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I EDC a 5" 1911, so if the Springer has an ambi-safety (or you would be amenable to having one fitted), I'd recommend you consider that path. But if you love the Bersa, I'd go safety off with it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    First of all I am right-handed. I carried my Bersa as a BUG. Since that was its purpose I only shot it off hand. I carried it in my left front pocket. It took a while but after much practice I learned to be proficient with it left handed including releasing the safety. With practice you can do this. It is just a matter of confidence. I agree with carrying with the safety off until you get to the point where you feel comfortable. I also recommend a good pocket holster if you are going to carry with the safety off. Just my :twocents:.
    Cheers and best of luck,
    BA

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute

It's perfectly safe to carry that pistol with the safety off and the hammer down.

-J-

Exactly :) My wife carries the same Bersa (only the CC model) with the safety off !! Since the decock lever puts the Bersa in DA mode, it takes a little more time for that first shot, effectively making it safeR !!!

Your choice, each to their own.

My EDC is also always "ready to go" !!! :ar15::ar15::draw::draw::biggun::biggun:

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Reading this thread makes me very glad that my father taught me to shoot right handed at a very young age. His reasoning was more for operating the bolt on his rifle and not having shells flying across my face on everything else. My love for Sig would be null if I still shot with my left hand.

In the OPs case, I would throw an ambi-safety on that GI if it doesn't already have one and rock it. :cheers:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't have any problem with my P12 at 8:00. Can't get my thumb on the right side til it's drawn anyway, so I take that moment to swipe the safety with my left thumb. My fingers are long enough to get a solid grip without my thumb, so ymmv. I just drill myself to do everything left handed, including the mag release.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Is this a reasonable concern or am I worrying about nothing? What do you all think?

Yes, I would say it is very reasonable.

What if your right hand is occupied? Maybe the BG is already on you and you need to use your weak hand to keep him pushed away? You will need to draw and operate your weapon with one hand. What if your right hand is injured? BG has a knife or a gun and has already used it on you and your right hand is unable to be used? Again, you will need to be able to present and use your weapon with only one hand.

Options:
    A) Learn to use this current carry gun with one hand and practice, practice, practice!

B) Use a different handgun (that you can use with one hand) as your EDC

Just my :twocents:

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm a lefty too, and always had a hard time first of all even finding holsters/guns that were compatible with being a lefty. Here are a couple suggestions:

1. Find a gun that is ambidextrous or doesn't have a safety. Being lefty was one of the reasons why I started shooting Glocks. You can also take a look at Springfield XD and S&W M&P lines.

2. Change your grip/draw to be right handed. In my first year of shooting, I found several problems with being a lefty. Most guns (well, EVERYTHING for that matter) are geared toward the majority which are right handed. I decided to change everything. My grip, my stance, my draw. I now carry just like a right handed person does, but I still use my left eye for sight alignment. It took some practice to do it, but after 10 or so years of shooting handguns, it has become second nature.

Sounds like you and I went through the same thing. I bought my first Glock because it didn't have a safety then I taught myself to shoot right handed because I got sick of trying to find left-handed holsters.

Actually I'm right handed but left eye dominant.

Indy_guy_77 makes a good point. I've owned a number of DA/SA pistols that I carried with the safety off. I use the safety as a decocker only but only with a sufficiently heavy first trigger pull making it no less safe than a double action revolver.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

-J-

I used to carry one and I'm left handed. The Bersa has a pretty stiff safety unless to work it over a lot. I couldn't even manipulate it using right handed. After the gun went in the holster, I then turned the safety off. Before I removed it the safety went on. It's also has a decocker (a feature I miss in my CZ82 which replaced in in the holster). The Bersa has a few other safety features to make it safer, long trigger pull in SA, magazine disconnect, etc. I won't be worried about carrying with the safety off at all.

If the safety is off, then it's one less thing to think about when you really need to use it.

Top Bottom