• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    and as for the title.. i came to this as it has happened not once, not twice, but now three times that i was told by Johnson County deputies that i cannot open carry while in the county. never have i once been stopped and asked if i had a licensed and then let go on my way like with the IMPD officers that i have encountered. I dont know if it is a lapse in the corse of training that many of the officers i encounter in Johnson county dont know the law or if in fact they are just trying to make me follow their demands.

had this been a first or even second time with this particular LE agency, i would have had a different title. BUT 3 times with one particular LE agency has led me to the conclusion that their officers are poorly educated on the laws of Indianas LTCH..:twocents:

I changed it because it was a broad generalization about an entire department. If the OP wants me to change it to A Johnson County Sheriff's Deputy Sucks then I would do that, but I won't put it back the way it started.
    And I would agree with that assessment if it was just this one instance but I believe the OP has a problem with the Johnson Co. Sheriff"s Dept. as a whole due to multiple encounters that he draws his opinion from as he explains in the above quoted post from earlier in the thread.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    well I either missed that post when the title was changed or it was posted after that point. I will certainly change the title back if the OP wishes....

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Either this thread gets back on topic or it will be closed.

As a reminder to people, if you have a problem with something a mod did, you are better off either messaging that person or starting a new post in the support section. If you make comments in a thread that aren't actually pertinent to the topic then it derails. A thread that derails is difficult to get back on topic.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    agreed. according to a said family member, the chargers are for higher ranking deputies that wouldnt be working a post such as this.. my understanding is that MCS are still in charge of inmate transport and care in the jails. some one correct me and my source if we are not correct. JCS are still the in the law enforceing business right??

Chargers are not only for "higher ranking deputies". I know more that with the title "Deputy" that have them than "Capt.", "Major", "Col.", etc. They got the Chargers because Crown Vics are being phased out by EVERYONE.

MCSO is in charge of prisoner transport, yes. They also do Warrants (both felony, tax and otherwise court ordered), Tax collection, maintain the Sex Offender Registry and Evictions (as well as a few other things). When they are not doing one of the above, they are in district, assisting IMPD when needed and otherwise patrolling.

Indeed, but MCS still have police authority/powers within IN. Hence, they are permitted to work part time security gigs in their off duty time for additional money. A lot of which is organized through the department which gives them additional revenue. This could be an explanation for the new Dodge Chargers other posters were talking about. :dunno:
    They are allowed to work off duty part time, but the bolded is simply not true. If they are working for the department outside of their normal gig, they have been detailed there, and it is part of their regular salary or some OT. This would be for big events downtown or the Marion County Fair. The off duty stuff you are talking about, such as movie theaters, restaurants, etc. is done between the establishment and the officer; sometimes these arrangements are made through security companies that hire the deputy/officer.**

** MCSO brass does have to sign off for them to work there, but the department receives nothing for it.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Everybody seems to have a different opinion of what constitutes "common sense." I would rather CC but I will start OCing more lately just because I think it so important when guns and wholesale slaughter is in the news that people who look and act normal be seen going about their every day business while armed. There is nothing unusual about someone being concerned about being the victim of a crime in a convience store, restaurant or even bank, especially in Evansville lately! Seeing a "normal" guy come into a quicky mart for a coke while carrying should be a common occurance.

What does a normal guy look like? Common sense on the subject of OC vs; CC is IMO not doing something that draws attention to ones self or cause fear and alarm in others. There are a fair number of OC people who I think OC just for the attention and hope for a LE confrontation. Many people will never be at ease when they see people carrying a firearm. The last thing I want is for someone to not feel comfortable just because of something I might have on me. :twocents:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    and as for the title.. i came to this as it has happened not once, not twice, but now three times that i was told by Johnson County deputies that i cannot open carry while in the county. never have i once been stopped and asked if i had a licensed and then let go on my way like with the IMPD officers that i have encountered. I dont know if it is a lapse in the corse of training that many of the officers i encounter in Johnson county dont know the law or if in fact they are just trying to make me follow their demands.

had this been a first or even second time with this particular LE agency, i would have had a different title. BUT 3 times with one particular LE agency has led me to the conclusion that their officers are poorly educated on the laws of Indianas LTCH..:twocents:

Time to start going to the County Council meetings and asking why they have officers that don't know the law?

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    :yesway:
    Time to start going to the County Council meetings and asking why they have officers that don't know the law?

now that the mods have done what they needed to keep everyone happy and not hurt.. lets get this back on topic

i think that going to a council meeting sounds like the best way to get my point and furstration across without the misunderstandings that can so easily occur by written words. not sure if it would do anything other than allow me to voice my opinion, but id rather do that than get into a debate with a single officer out in the field who has a lot of discretion and wiggle room when interpetiting the law.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Chargers are not only for "higher ranking deputies". I know more that with the title "Deputy" that have them than "Capt.", "Major", "Col.", etc. They got the Chargers because Crown Vics are being phased out by EVERYONE.

MCSO is in charge of prisoner transport, yes. They also do Warrants (both felony, tax and otherwise court ordered), Tax collection, maintain the Sex Offender Registry and Evictions (as well as a few other things). When they are not doing one of the above, they are in district, assisting IMPD when needed and otherwise patrolling

Ford doesn't make the CV anymore and GM has shipping trouble with the Caprice (it ships from Australia) that's why we are seeing all the Chargers, there really isn't another choice.

MCSD does NOT patrol or assist IMPD in the districts. Other than warrants, building security and jail/prisoner responsibilities, I have no idea what they do or how they are legally able to hold off-duty employment that requires law enforcement powers.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    So you're saying their training sucks? Or their deputies suck?

One is an opinion that is reasonable to assume given your many interactions. The other is blanket opinion about 109 individuals based on the actions of the 3 or 4 you've encountered. There is a difference.

I'm reading through this a day late, so if the subject has been changed, ignore this. Otherwise, "Johnson County Sherrif Deputy encounter" doesn't imply any sort of blanket opinion. Perhaps you're being a little over-sensitive on the matter?

You may think its being picky, but the incessant cop-bashing and stereotyping around here is getting old. Let's look at the root of the problem and stop passing off all issues as "cops suck".

I agree on the baseless cop-bashing. This doesn't seem (to me at least) to fall into that category.

We hear about all these negative interactions because its easy to type on the internet. But rarely do we hear about proactive efforts to work with the police in understanding firearm carry laws and changing their understanding at a basic level.

You hear more about the negative encounters, because they reflect a person (in this case a LEO) being derelict in their duties. You don't get as many feel-good stories, because...well...that's kind of what's expected out of LEO's. My apologies to all of the quality LEO's out there for my part in not recognizing the good you do nearly enough.

How many negative interactions have you personally had with the JCSO? How many times did you post about them on the internet? How many times did you make a phone call to the Sheriff himself or write a letter explaining what happened?

All things being black and white, you have a point, I suppose. Still, I can think of a number of things that might give a person pause when considering whether or not to pursue something like this up the chain of command, not the least of which the possibility that the superiors of the LEO in question possibly sharing the LEO's misinformation or personal agenda. This could lead to borderline harrassment for the individual. Whether it did or not, being on local law enforcement's bad side is never a desirable thing.

I'm glad the OP posted about his encounter. We need to read about every one that happens, regardless of any letters being written to anyone. I'm not convinced it's a matter of poor training. I'm more likely to believe it's a private agenda in many cases.

I really don't get why the OP is the one catching flak over this.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm reading through this a day late, so if the subject has been changed, ignore this. Otherwise, "Johnson County Sherrif Deputy encounter" doesn't imply any sort of blanket opinion. Perhaps you're being a little over-sensitive on the matter?

I agree on the baseless cop-bashing. This doesn't seem (to me at least) to fall into that category.

You hear more about the negative encounters, because they reflect a person (in this case a LEO) being derelict in their duties. You don't get as many feel-good stories, because...well...that's kind of what's expected out of LEO's. My apologies to all of the quality LEO's out there for my part in not recognizing the good you do nearly enough.

All things being black and white, you have a point, I suppose. Still, I can think of a number of things that might give a person pause when considering whether or not to pursue something like this up the chain of command, not the least of which the possibility that the superiors of the LEO in question possibly sharing the LEO's misinformation or personal agenda. This could lead to borderline harrassment for the individual. Whether it did or not, being on local law enforcement's bad side is never a desirable thing.

I'm glad the OP posted about his encounter. We need to read about every one that happens, regardless of any letters being written to anyone. I'm not convinced it's a matter of poor training. I'm more likely to believe it's a private agenda in many cases.

I really don't get why the OP is the one catching flak over this.

me either.. some one please explain :popcorn:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I took action on that post because it was reported more than once. It is also not about cuss words, but rather the racial insensitivity that it contains. Neither are acceptable here. If you want us to go back to zero tolerance on the language front, maybe we will do that but I encourage you to be careful what you wish for.
    Just now getting a moment to reply. Not to derail too much, but thank you for the clarification. I admit to being guilty of "bending" the language rule myself at times. I think your current process is adequate (being reviewed case by case). It just seemed odd at the moment given the nature of the thread. :yesway::yesway:Good to go. Sorry to derail for a moment. Glad to see it's back on track.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    me either.. some one please explain :popcorn:
    Priest, you did an overall good job. Given the circumstances (hostility from the officer) there wasn't a lot you could do further at that moment. People can "knit-pick" (spelling?) the whole situation, but in the interest of not ruining your night out you made appropriate decisions.

I think the biggest "argument" that people have NOW is that they would like to see some form of corrective action. You need not go to great lengths or out of your way too much, but most feel that in the interest of "protecting" OTHER gun owners from having to deal with that ignorant officer a simple email or letter to the Sherriff COULD rattle enough cages to take care of it. If not, no big deal but I think most would agree that it's at least worth that little effort at your convenience. It is likely nothing will change or happen and nearly a guarantee that you will not receive any REAL feedback from your correspondence, but nobody can attempt to diminish your "integrity" by at least trying. On the other hand, not trying will GUARANTEE that no changes will happen. Make sense?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

You're way late to the party. The thread title was changed. The original was "Johnson County Deputies Suck". Still think I was being over-sensitive in my initial assessment?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Sorry esrice.
    But, just cause the LTCH doesn't say concealed, doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't state the IC, or lack of IC on it.

That wasn't the point.

The officer challenged the OP by telling him that he should read the license where it says "concealed". My point was that he could've quickly and easily rebutted this by doing exactly as the officer said and showing him his license. Two seconds and the officer's argument crumbles.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't think he was being an arsehat by asking you to conceal it.
    Sounds like he just simply wasn't aware of the permits cc/ oc law.
    Just my personal opinion, a movie theatre is the last place I'd oc, especially with a line of people behind you.

What "permits cc/oc law" are you referring to?

Top Bottom