• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    But... but... those numbers CAN'T be accurate. Seriously. They go off how many are collecting unemployment, right? What about those not doing so? What about those who collect but have a part time or "off the books" job? I'd say it's closer to 12-15% if not higher.

Oh, and number of jobs lost. They don't count how many were gained do they? If so, I've yet to see a report like that...

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    But... but... those numbers CAN'T be accurate. Seriously. They go off how many are collecting unemployment, right? What about those not doing so? What about those who collect but have a part time or "off the books" job? I'd say it's closer to 12-15% if not higher.

Oh, and number of jobs lost. They don't count how many were gained do they? If so, I've yet to see a report like that...
    I'd just like for them to report what they find, period. Another thought to statistics; that, there are so many variables that make collecting stats so inaccurate that, in some ways, it's a waste of time to do it. B/c, the results and 'findings' can be boiled down to whoever wants to eliminate whatever to get a specific 'finding'. It's like carbon dating on dinosaur bones, they say it's not accurate themselves; but, they will always use it as a basis for the big bang theory. Ever heard that phrase 'pickin' and a grinnin'? :):

'Let's not count that, this or the other; but, let's just look at these stats here'.... whatever we WANT to include

muwhahahahahaha! POWER!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd say it's closer to 12-15% if not higher

Savage, the U-6 is now (September) 17%.

What is the definition of "U-6 Unemployment Rate"?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics releases a bunch of different unemployment numbers every month.

u-6_unemployment_rate.jpg
    The unemployment number that is most often used in the media (and by the government) is known as the "U-3". This number was 8.1% in February of 2009.

The "U-6" is considered to be a broader measure of the unemployment situation in the United States.

The "U-6" includes two groups of people that the "U-3" does not:

1. "Marginally attached workers" - people who are not actively looking for work, but who have indicated that they want a job and have looked for work (without success) sometime in the past 12 months. This class also includes "discouraged workers" who have completely given up on finding a job because they feel that they just won't find one.

2. People who are looking for full-time work but have to settle on a part-time job due to economic reasons. This means that they want full-time work, but can't find it.

Two pretty important groups of people, no?

U-6 Unemployment Rate - What Does It Mean?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    While I am no fan of expanding government programs, the current unemployment issue could be solved with two things:
    #1: People would be willing to work any job within their skill range and would be willing to move to where jobs are.
    #2: For a three or five year window, roll back the age of Medicare to 61 or 62 years old.

I know of three likely jobs that would open up if only the people could get health care. I know of another two that would open up in two years as people would hit those ages. These people _want_ to retire, and these are jobs that will be filled, not done away with. The only reason these people are still working is because of health care. The biggest issue is that they all have health issues that require them to spend hundreds on drugs per month. Some have looked at retiring, but they can't both pay the 18 months of Cobra _and_ for their prescription drugs.

The following may sound bad, but it is true. The vast majority of those who would jump on this plan are in such bad shape health wise, I honestly wouldn't expect them to be living that much longer. This would give them time to enjoy their retirement, and the faster death of the baby boomers (when compared to their parents) would not cause a massive debt. Not only that, many are actually supportive an idea where they could pay just $200-$300 a month for medicare until they hit the current age of 65. They can afford the additional $200-$300/month, but they can't afford the $1,000 a month some would pay under Cobra.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I am a chef. I have been diligently looking for work for almost a year. This is what sickens me. Although I have many many years of experience as an Executive Chef and Restaurant manager making $50+K per year. I at this point in time would be grateful for a job as a line cook making $10-$12 per hour and I cant seem to even get that. Now this is the part that really burns my azz. I a chef with 32 years exp. an impeccable work record and sound work ethic, I with my exp. am certainly an expert in all aspects of restaurant operations and cannot secure a job making $10 per hour while 65% of those jobs in Marion and surrounding county's are held by non-English speaking immigrants, many of whom are illegal. I, an American born, qualified, hard working man could soon face losing my home and the real possibility of homelessness while non-English speaking and illeagal immagrants are gainfully employed. As I see it this is where a big part of the problem lies... On this I have to call BULL :poop:...:xmad:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom