• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Brrrr.... Gives me the willies. Most snakes get a pass from me,. and I've even "rescued" a big black snake who'd had his tail dinged by a disc. Of course, every time I let him out of his terrarium he chewed on me. I think he blamed me for his injury.

But those moccasins and Rattlers..... No thanks!

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I know some people do not agree with this saying.

My dad always told me the only good snake is a dead snake. Ive had my go round with 1 already this year.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Snakes have a great appetite for pests. I will leave them alone as long as they pose no danger. I got bit by a cottonmouth as a youngun and just give them their space.

Bob

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    It is a rare year that I do not cross paths with a Copperhead on our property in Brown County. My parents taught me to appreciate snakes, so I give them some distance and let them live. We have several Blacksnakes around our home, so I have yet to see a Copperhead in our yard.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    After I treated Me. Blacksnake's tail with triple antibiotic for a week I let him go out by Pop's barn. He took up residence right out behind it in the old McCormick drill. Silly S.O.B. would even stick his head out and hiss at me as I went by mowing. We did notice a decrease in the barn's mouse population.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    After I treated Me. Blacksnake's tail with triple antibiotic for a week I let him go out by Pop's barn. He took up residence right out behind it in the old McCormick drill. Silly S.O.B. would even stick his head out and hiss at me as I went by mowing. We did notice a decrease in the barn's mouse population.
    Probably a black racer - they have a permanently bad temper, though quite harmless.

Beware of killing snakes - some venomous species (and some non-venomous) are protected by state and federal law. You will likely not get bit of you don't pick them up or step on them.

You have no worries about moccasin/cottonmouth in the vast majority of Indiana. They can only be found along the Ohio River near Evansville - southern tier counties. I know, I know, all those other "moccasins" you heard about or thought you saw around Indiana. Not buying it. I have people tell me, who works as a naturalist, that they see WM in our park lake here in northern Indiana. We are at least 200 miles out of their range here. So, no.

Top Bottom