• ...and so much more!
  • Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Rolly - Chapter 1

Rolly Jomes hated flying. Couldn’t take hardly anything that would be useful in an emergency. Like the plane going down. Or for use when he got where he was going, temporarily. Never know when something might happen, that was for sure. Just watch the news. There were enough things going on every day to scare the you know what out of anyone that could read between the lines a little.

But Betty wanted him to go on the cruise with her. She even offered to pay. But Rolly wasn’t about to let his sister do that. She really couldn’t afford it, and it just didn’t sit well with him anyway.

So there they were, on the flight to Ft. Lauderdale. Only, it seemed, they weren’t going to Ft. Lauderdale anymore. The Captain had just come on with an announcement.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I regret to inform you that we have been ordered to land at the nearest airport that can take us. That is Melbourne down below. Hopefully I’ll have more information when we land.

“Please be aware that there is nothing on the aircraft that is the problem. All flights are being grounded. It isn’t just us. I will give you more details when I get them.”

Betty was holding his hand tightly enough to hurt. “We’re going to die!” she whispered.

“We’re not going to die!” Rolly replied, keeping his voice down. He didn’t want Betty’s jump-to-conclusions mind causing a panic.

“But you heard…”

“I heard we are landing early. And the Captain doesn’t know why. So until we find out more, just stay calm. We’ll be all right.”

Rolly really believed what he told Betty, but that wasn’t to say he wasn’t a bit worried. The last time the airlines had all been shut down had been 9-11-01. “And,” he thought, “when the volcano blew, but that was regional.”

Sitting back in his seat, he kept Betty’s hand in his to reassure her. He began to take stock of what he had with him, including his checked luggage. Assuming he could get it. Which, he knew, was quite an assumption. It all depended on what was happening.

It was some time before he knew. The captain had no additional information when he landed, so the passengers’ first knowledge of the events that were unfolding was from other passengers waiting around the same luggage carousel. One of them had a portable radio and a dozen people were gathered around listening to the live reports.

“There have been three threats made by the terrorists,” came the voice of the news reader on the radio. “One, that six airliners will go down today. So far there have been no incidents.

“Secondly, a major military base somewhere in the US will be destroyed… that’s right. They are saying ‘destroyed. And finally, the water supply of a major metropolitan city will be poisoned.

“All this as warnings of more to come if the US does not denounce Israel, and join with the Arab League and the UN in condemning and sanctioning Israel, for the buildup of forces pending an attack on Iran.

“This just in…” The news reader’s voice was strained. “It is being reported that Air Force One has been shot down with the President aboard. We do not have that confirmed.”

There were gasps from several people, and some muttering going on as the news continued.

“We also just got this in from Missouri… Oh, my! Oh, no! Fort Leonard Wood has just been attacked with a nuclear weapon of some sort. There was no missile. It was some type of device taken onto the base. And it is a nuclear explosive device, not a dirty bomb. My brother is stationed at Fort Leonard Wood!”

The radio went silent for long moments and then another voice replaced the first one. “Another report has just reached us that people are beginning to die in and around the St. Louis, Missouri area. Allegedly from some type of poison in the water system.”

The announcer fell silent for a moment and the man with the radio grabbed his bag from the carousel and took off.

“Anyone else have a radio?” Rolly asked loudly. Betty was about to cut off the circulation in his arm and he gently removed her hand from his wrist. Before anyone could answer or turn one on if they did have one, Rolly saw his and Betty’s bags and grabbed them off the baggage carousel. “Let’s get out of here. I want to go somewhere and think.”

Rolly was pulling both bags, with Betty trotting along side of him. “What do we do, Rolly? I’m scared, Rolly!”

“It’ll be okay, Betty. Just stick close. I don’t want to get separated.”

People were beginning to trot, with a few running. Rolly had no clue where any of them were going, but they were making movement for everyone else difficult. And it seemed to be catching.

“Hold it, Betty!” Rolly said. He’d ducked behind a large column into a small cul-de-sac.

Betty slid to a stop and joined him. She edged around behind him, almost wedging herself between him, the wall, and the column. “Jeez, Sis! Give a guy some room!” He shifted over and leaned down to open up his suitcase. It didn’t contain much in the way of prep items, but he did have a decent knife, an empty Zippo lighter in a special airline shipping container, and the crank up flashlight.

He began to make a mental list of things he wanted to pick up as soon as he could as he slipped the things into his pockets. Rolly zipped up the suitcase and looked out into the heavy flow of people going all different directions.

“Come on, Betty. And I need you to pull your own suitcase. I need one hand free. Stay right behind me.”

There was a huge mob of people at the information desk. “I’m not going to rely on the airlines or the airport to get us home, Betty,” Rolly told his sister. “Chances are they can’t do anything immediately, anyway.”

“But Rolly! I want to go home!”

“That’s where I’m planning on taking you, Sis. You know you can count on me.” Her hand was a weight on his back as Betty stayed right behind him. They moved through the throng, being jostled and bumped, and cursed. But finally they were outside in the hot, humid air of Melbourne, Florida.

There were no cabs in sight, so Rolly hurried his sister toward the far end of the cab lane. He grabbed the first cab that drove up, much to the annoyance of several people standing down at the regular cab pickup point.

“Were to, Bub?” asked the driver as he started the meter. “Don’t tell me something like Kansas, either. And it’s double what the meter shows. Don’t like it, get out.”

“Rolly!” Betty whispered loudly into Rolly’s ear.

“I’ll pay,” Rolly said. “We just need to get to the nearest sporting goods store.”

“Sporting goods store it is then,” replied the cabbie without a glance back. The tires squalled and they brushed against another cab trying to get around theirs. There was a cursing match between the two drivers in a language Rolly didn’t recognize. But the driver pulled ahead of the other one and they were on their way.

“Buckle up,” Rolly told Betty, and did the same himself. After another close call Rolly told the driver, “We’d like to get there alive. A few minutes isn’t going to make any difference.”

“Yeah, it is. More trips I make today, the better. People are paying anything I ask to get them somewhere besides the airport.”

“What’s the last news?” Rolly asked.

The driver turned on the radio in the cab. It was tuned to an all news station. Things were already worse, apparently.

“We now have reports of seven more airplanes being destroyed, in addition to Air Force one. Five of them were on the ground, and fortunately three of those had already been evacuated. I’m sorry to say that the other four planes were destroyed with total loss of life.

“A new warning has been reported. These attacks are just the beginning, apparently, of a campaign to bring the United States to its knees, to a point where Israel is left without any hope of help coming from us.

“If the demands to abandon Israel and denounce the nation in the United Nations, the terrorist say they will trigger a tectonic event on La Palma Island. Our experts here at the station are telling me that if that were to occur, a huge tsunami wave could cross the Atlantic in several hours, and destroy much of the East Coast of the United States. We hope to have more in…

“Hold on… I’m getting another news flash.” Rolly heard the rustle of paper and the news reader was back again. He sounded much like the first on they’d heard on the other station. His voice sounded like it was about to break.

“This just in. The earlier reports of the death of the President have been confirmed. The wreckage of Air Force one has been found and the body of the President, wife, and children identified, along with several other important members of congress.

“And the reports coming in from St. Louis are confirming the first indications that the water supply had been poisoned. There are people dying by the hundreds from poisoned water.

“Another report has just been handed to me…”

The driver turned off the radio. Rolly frowned, but saw that they were at the entrance to one of the large chain sporting goods stores, just as he’s asked. “That’ll be fifty bucks,” said the driver, turning around in his seat.

“The meter says fifteen and you said double that,” Betty protested.

“Yeah. So the rate has gone up. Pay up or else.” The snout of a short, compact revolver appeared over the top of the front seat.

“Take it easy,” Rolly said. He peeled off two more bills and thrust them through the slot in the Plexiglas divider. Betty was getting out on the passenger side of the cab. As soon as Rolly had one foot on the pavement, the cab driver floored the accelerator, nearly knocking Rolly off his feet.

“Our bags!” Betty screamed. She turned distraught eyes to her brother. “He took our bags!”

“Yeah,” Rolly said. He felt like kicking himself for not having suspected it would happen and holding onto the money until he’d unloaded the bags. But it was too late now.

“You have everything important in your carryon, don’t you?” Rolly asked, thankful he’d removed the items from his bag when he did.

“All my clothes, my curling iron, my makeup… Everything,” Betty said, as she started to cry.

“But your cash? Wallet with ID… all the important stuff is in your shoulder bag, though, right?”

“My clothes are important! And my makeup! And my… My woman’s need things…”

“It’s okay,” Rolly said, taking Betty into his arms for a reassuring hug. “We’ll replace the things here. Get you what you need. We’re going to have to hurry. I’m afraid the panic we saw at the airport may spread and get worse as people find out about the possible tsunami.”

“But that’s just the beaches, right?” Betty asked, wiping her eyes on the bandanna that Rolly handed her.

“Uh… Well, actually…” Seeing the look on his sister’s face, Rolly quickly changed his mind about telling her just how bad a La Palma caused tsunami could be in Florida. “Yeah. The beaches. But people will be moving away from them, just like we plan to. Now let’s go inside and get out of this heat, and pick up a few things we’re going to need on the trip.”

“Why didn’t we just rent a car at the airport?” Betty asked Rolly.

“Didn’t you see the line? They were already out of cars when we landed.”

“Oh. I didn’t know that,” Betty said. “But how are we going to get home? The bus? You know I’m afraid to ride the bus. Even with you. Bad things happen on busses. You know what happened to Helen Michaelson.”

“No busses,” Rolly said quickly. Not for the reason Betty stated, but because they’d be as much of a madhouse as the airport. The train station would be the same. Rolly said as much.

“But how then? If we can’t fly, drive, take a train, or a bus, what’s left?”

“Bicycles or…’

“You know I can’t ride a bicycle!” complained Betty.

“As I was saying,” Rolly continued, “Bicycles and horses, even if I could get them are out, I know. I think our best bet is to head out on foot, and hope for a ride.”

“No. Absolutely not!” Betty was adamant. She suddenly sat down on a bench just inside the door of the store entrance. “The government will do something. They always do. FEMA or someone.”

“Betty, you know that isn’t true. Look what has happened during most of the last disasters. And this is bigger than all of them put together.”

“I’m staying here,” Betty said. She folded her arms in front of her chest and settled in for a wait. She’d used the ploy more than once successfully. But Rolly wasn’t susceptible to that tactic.

“Okay. You need to get some things, you said…” Rolly responded in what he hoped was a persuasive voice. It wasn’t.

“Won’t need anything. The National Guard will be here any minute. I’m sure of it.”

Rolly debated, but only for a moment. Things might even be easier this way. “Okay. You stay here and rest up. I’m going to get what we need for the trip home. Give me your money.”

Betty shook her head. “That’s my cruise money! Use your own money.”

“It is my own money, after all,” Rolly said. “You’re using the money I gave you after that last big job finished up.

Betty looked hurt, but reached into her large shoulder bag. Taking out the soft calf skin wallet, she opened it and handed Rolly a stack of one-hundred-dollar bills.

She looked startled, but didn’t budge when Rolly took the money and headed deeper into the store. The store was crowded, but Rolly decided that it wasn’t much more than normal, probably. The panic had not yet set in. There might actually be quite a few people clueless about what was happening.

Keeping his thoughts to himself, Rolly decided where he wanted to go first, and then where after that. Thankful that no one was gouging on prices yet, the way the cabbie had, Rolly used his debit cards first, bringing out the cash only when he’d maxed out for the day on purchases with the cards. The credit cards he was saving for later.

Rolly began to get a look here and there as he continued to pile items into first one cart, and then a second, and finally a third when the first two were full.

He was on pins and needles when he finally made it back to the entrance where he’d left Betty. He wasn’t a hundred percent sure she’d still be there. She’d been known to be rather flighty at times. She could have easily set off to find normal transportation. If she had, she was back in the same position as she’d been when Rolly left her.

“What is all that that?” Betty asked when she saw Rolly pushing one of the carts and pulling another as a store clerk pushed the third.

“Where is your car, sir?” asked the clerk as the three of them went outside.

“Don’t have one,” Rolly replied. I’ll put the cart together and we’ll load it up with the gear.” Then, speaking to Betty, Rolly added, “It’s camping gear for the trip.”

The clerk was a bit skeptical and kept an eye on Rolly so he couldn’t take off with the store carts. Frowning, Betty watched, her arms crossed. The game cart that Rolly had purchased was set up on bicycle like wheels, like a big, wide V laying on the side with one arm a long front platform, and the other angled back and up for the handle.

When it was together, Rolly began to open up the other packages and put the items on the cart, strapping them down with nylon straps he purchased for that reason.

“It’s a game cart,” Rolly told his sister. He gave the clerk a twenty dollar bill. “Will you take care of the trash for me?”

“Sure!” said the young man, taking the twenty and stuffing it in his shirt pocket. He headed inside with two of the carts, now full of the empty packaging of the items Rolly had purchased.

Taking the handle of the cart, Rolly started walking away.

“You can’t just leave me here!” wailed Betty.

“I’m not. Come on. I want to get on the way. It took a lot longer here than I was expecting.”

“But Rolly!”

“Come on, Sis! We really need to get going! This is a big mall. You need to pick up some stuff yourself, you said,” Rolly said. He stopped and took out his money. He handed several bills to Betty.

Either she did it automatically when asked, or she decided on her own to go with him, but either way, Betty traipsed after Rolly as he headed down the mall sidewalk. Rolly chafed at the time that Betty took, and even more so at the less than ideal choices she made. But finally he had her purchases on the cart and had her watching it while he made a few quick purchases himself. Then they were headed to the far side of the parking lot.

“Rolly! Slow down! I can’t keep up!” Betty said as Rolly turned and headed down the sidewalk along the street paralleling the mall.

Rolly, keyed up, hadn’t realized he’d been walking so fast. Almost at a trot. It certainly wasn’t a pace Betty could keep up, and he knew he needed to pace himself. They might be on the road for some time, if they made it at all.

An hour later, Betty tugged on Rolly’s arm. “I need to go to the bathroom, Rolly. Really bad.”

“There’s a fast food place. You can go there. And pick up some food. We may not get fresh food again for a while.”

“Why not?” asked Betty, but Rolly stopped and she had to hurry in to the restroom of the burger joint place. When she came out a few minutes later. Rolly told her, “Here. Get us each a meal. Rolly handed her some money and Betty went back inside.

When Betty came out a few minutes later, with the two meals and drinks, Rolly was turning the crank of a wind up radio flashlight combination. He’d managed to get one similar to the ones he had at home.

“Let’s go over to the outside tables,” Rolly said as he turned on the radio. After parking the cart out of the way, but within reach, Rolly tuned to the same radio news show that had been on in the cab.

As they ate, Rolly quickly, and Betty much more slowly, they listened to the news. It was worse than before. The UN was condemning the terrorists, whoever they might be, for the attacks on the US, but also condemned the US for having brought them on, and for fostering war in the Middle East between Iran and Israel.

And the death toll in the US from the attacks that had occurred was mounting. The passenger count of the eight airplanes that went down was pretty much known now. But the numbers of those dying in St. Louis, and Ft. Leonard Wood were mounting quickly.

And the threat of the attack on La Palma was being repeated every hour on the hour.

Rolly waited patiently as Becky slowly finished her meal and then gathered all the waste up and put it in the trash bin nearby. As soon as she was finished, Rolly was up again and moving, pulling the loaded game cart behind him.

They didn’t go very far. When Rolly saw the chicken place, he turned into the parking lot and stopped at one of the outside tables. “Get their biggest bucket. All white meat. Sides that will keep for a while in the heat and don’t need utensils. Corn on the cob and potato wedges. As much as you can carry easily.” Rolly pulled out his money clip and gave Betty several more folded bills. And get the four largest bottles of cold water they have, too.”

“But Rolly! We just ate.”

“Please, Sis? Look. I’ll try to get us a ride. But right now we need to keep going. And we need something easy to eat when we get the next chance.”

“Oh, okay! But you’re going to make it up to me one of these days.”

“I will, Betty. I will. I promise.”

Betty came out a few minutes later, struggling with the two heavy bags of food. Rolly carefully arranged them on top of the load and once again they were off.

He stopped when a white Ford pickup truck pulled over to the curb and rolled down the passenger window of the truck. “You guys need a lift? That’s some load you’re packing.”

“Where you going? Inland, by chance” Rolly asked. Betty was standing halfway behind him.

“Afraid not. Headed up to Cocoa.”

Rolly started to say “No thanks,” but suddenly he stopped. “Wait a minute! I just remembered something! Sure, man! And you cannot believe how much we appreciate it.”

The man hopped out and helped Rolly lift the loaded game cart into the back of the pickup truck bed.

“Jeez, this thing is heavy!” Said the man as they struggled to lift the cart.

“I’ll ride in back,” Rolly quickly said when Betty opened the passenger door of the pickup truck and he saw that the truck had bucket seats.

“Yeah,” replied the man. “Wouldn’t be right to make the lady ride back there in this heat.” He was smiling at Betty. She smiled back, shyly.

There was a twofold reason that Rolly had to ride in the back. It wasn’t just the fact of the bucket seats. He wasn’t about to take a chance of the guy taking off with the cart still in the back of the truck. So Rolly made himself comfortable and watched the sights as the man pulled into traffic and they headed north. He could only hope and pray that the terrorists didn’t use a nuke on La Palma. Or if they did, it would be later enough to give them time to get well away from the coast.

The traffic was heavy and rather erratic. Whenever Rolly looked into the cab through the back window of the truck he could tell that Betty and the man were talking. They weren’t listening to the radio. Rolly felt a little guilty about using the guy the way he was. Not telling him about the potential of the tsunami.

When they reached Cocoa, the man slid open the rear window panel and asked Rolly, “Where to, Guy?”

“Can you get us on Cox Road? Anywhere. We’ll walk the rest of the way.”

“Sure. I know where it is. It’s not even really out of my way.” The man slid the panel closed and picked up speed again.

A few minutes later he was helping Rolly unload game cart. Rolly reached into his pocket and pulled out another of the twenties he had.

“Naw, Guy,” said the man. “It was no problem. Had a nice talk with a pretty lady.” He smiled over at Betty.

Rolly’s conscience got the best of him. “I have to tell you… I don’t think you are aware of it, but the terrorists are threatening to blow La Palma and create a tsunami that will just about wipe out the peninsula. You should probably…”

The man waved his hand. You aren’t buying into that stuff, are you? Bunch of nonsense. That’s all the way across the Atlantic. Just a big scare.”

Betty’s look brightened.

“Okay,” Rolly replied. “But don’t say I didn’t warn you. Thanks for the ride.”

“Sure,” replied the man. He laughed as he got back into the truck. “Couple of wackos!”

Rolly shook his head and took the handle of the game cart and set off along the sidewalk. It took a while, but Rolly finally got to the place he remembered being here in Cocoa.

“They make guns here! Why are we stopping here?” Betty asked.

“Just a precaution,” Rolly said. “Don’t worry.” Rolly parked the cart and took out his cell phone. He flipped it open, and with a sigh of relief that it not only worked, but had a good signal, dialed the number on the door of the place.

“Yeah. Have you heard what’s happening?”

Rolly listened for a bit and then spoke again as Betty looked on curiously. “Yeah. Figured you did. What’s the chances of getting a rifle and a couple of pistols?”

Another short listen and Rolly said, “Cash or gold.”

Rolly’s final words on the cell phone were, “Right outside. I’ve got a loaded game cart.” He closed the phone and seconds later the door opened. A man held it wide and Rolly pushed the cart inside. Betty followed him in, but her nose was slightly in the air as if there was a bad smell inside.

“Stay right here with the cart,” Rolly told her. He was looking around. There were half a dozen people packing up boxes. “You bugging out?”

“Yeah. Have you heard about La Palma?”

“I know,” Rolly said. “I’m trying to get to the panhandle before it can get here, if it happens.”

“Oh, it’s going to happen,” said one of the men moving the heavy boxes through a door to the back part of the shop. “Even if we give them what they want, they’ll still pop the cork and blow it.”

“Probably right,” Rolly agreed. “What do you have I can keep handy but out of sight? I prefer .308, but I’ll take 7.62mm x 39mm or even .223.”

“Over here,” said the man. He stepped over to a desk and picked up a slim catalog. “5.56. Folding stock, sixteen inch barrel, can carry a couple of spare ten-rounders in the stock. Got plenty of twenties and thirties.”

“How much?” Rolly asked.

“Well, considering things… You have an ounce of gold on you?”

“I do. But I need a couple of handguns, too.”

“Here’s what we got,” the man said, turning to a page in the catalog.

Rolly took the catalog when the man handled it to him. He checked several pages. “Anything in .45 ACP?”

“Nope. 9mm and .40 S&W. Got .380 and .32, too. But if you were wanting .45 ACP you probably don’t want the small calibers.”

“I’ll want a hideout gun. The .32,” Rolly said, looking over the pistols. “I’ll take this .32… This 9mm. And this rifle. Three 10-rounders, and 10 30-rounders. Preferably loaded, with a case extra. Half a dozen magazines for the pistols.”

“You know what we’re about to do is highly illegal, I take it.”

“Yes, of course,” Rolly replied. “How much to not make it matter?”

“All up, three ounces of gold,” the man said immediately.

“Done,” Rolly said quickly. “Give me a second.” Rolly went outside before he reached into three different pockets to take out the shiny gold coins. He went back inside and handed the three one ounce Gold Eagles to the man.

Another man came through a door, carrying three boxes. Another was behind him, with a fourth box.

“One rifle, two pistols, magazines and ammunition for all. I suggest you be on your way and forget where you got these.”

“You bet,” Rolly said. He took the three gun boxes and went outside. The third man followed and handed Rolly the box with the magazines and ammunition before going back inside. Rolly heard the lock click when the door closed.

“You know I hate guns, Rolly!” Betty said as Rolly quickly opened the boxes and checked the guns. There was no one around, so Rolly took the time to load up all the magazines and then pack the rest of the ammunition on the game cart.

The rifle, folded in half, also went on the game cart, under some other things, but where it could be reached easily. The 9mm went behind the waistband of Rolly’s pants, with his shirt tails down over it. The little .32 he put in his right hip pocket, behind the folded bandana already there.

“We’re ready to go,” Rolly said.

A haughty look on her face, Betty said, “I’m going with you, but it is under protest. You don’t need a gun. The authorities will be here any minute now. If there even is any danger. I’m beginning to think that Artie was right. This is all crazy.”

“Artie, huh? Well he’s entitled to his opinion. Let’s eat something and then go.” With that, Rolly took out the chicken, the sides, and the water bottles. They found a shaded spot and sat down on the grass to eat. Rolly hurried Betty up as much as he could. In half an hour Rolly headed out of the parking lot and turned onto the sidewalk.

Rolly had taken out the wind up radio and was listening to the news as he and Betty walked, Rolly with the game cart rolling easily behind him. The news was much the same. The three threats had been carried out and hundreds of thousands of people were dying, with most of them from the poisoned water in St. Louis. As yet there was no word of any kind from La Palma.

Fortunately it wasn’t long before they picked up another ride, this time with someone headed for Orlando. The far side of Orlando, to Clermont, Florida, Rolly was pleased to hear. The further west they could go, and the faster they could get there, the more the risks dropped. But Rolly still wasn’t sure about just how far across the state the tsunami could travel.

Though he was tempted to try and travel all night, Rolly knew that Betty wasn’t up to it. He used his cell phone to locate an inn near Clermont, on Highway 50, and, much to his surprise, was able to make a reservation for the night. Jack Snyder even dropped them off there before he went to his final destination. Jack took the twenty dollars when Rolly offered it. And seemed to take the information to heart when Rolly told him of the dangers of a tsunami.

Rolly would just as soon camped out as stay at the inn, but it kept Betty quiet. It had been a long day for her and she was tired. And when she got tired, she got more cranky and argumentative than normal.

There were a couple of looks when Rolly rolled the game cart to the elevators, but the staff didn’t object, and they made it up to their adjoining rooms. Rolly parked the cart in his room and carried the small case that Betty had purchased to carry her new things in to her room.

He put the leftover chicken and sides in the room fridge, put his new bag on the bed and sat down. Checking his pockets carefully, and then his wallet, he took stock of his financial position. He’d maxed the debit cards for the day, earlier, and used about a fourth of the cash that he and Betty had between them. The room was paid for with a credit card.

Rolly still had some gold and silver coins, for those situations that might call for them, just as the gun and ammunitions purchases had. Deciding to try and cheer Betty up a little, Rolly decided to splurge on dinner. Knowing he was taking a huge risk stopping for the night and going out, Rolly decided it was worth it. Taking an illegally obtained and unlicensed gun with him wasn’t. At least now at the moment. He left them between the mattress and the box springs of the bed.

After a long shower and a change into the clean clothes he’d purchased, he knocked on the connecting door again. It seemed that Becky had decided on a shower and change of clothes, too. She looked much better than she had when they arrived.

“How about some dinner?” Rolly asked.

“Can we go to a real restaurant?” Becky asked, not sounding very hopeful.

“Yes. I’m thinking steak and lobster, myself.”

Becky brightened considerably. “We can get a lobster?”

Rolly nodded. A much happier Betty followed him to the elevators and they went downstairs. A quick call by the woman behind the check-in counter had a cab out front in the matter of only a few minutes.

Things seemed relatively calm, though there was much talk about the events of the day. But there was little sign of panic. Rolly did note the heavy northbound and westbound traffic. Some people were obviously taking the possibility of the tsunami seriously.

Rolly didn’t even protest when Betty lingered over desert and coffee. They were going to be here during the night. Might as well enjoy the easy time while it still was possible. But Rolly had Betty back to the motel by eleven. “Put in a wakeup call for five, Betty. We need to get going as early as possible.”

“Aw, Rolly! Five?”

“Yes. Five. Good-night.”

Betty frowned but Rolly was already closing the door, debating going back to tell Betty that if something happened during the night, he would be at her door to get her up and going no matter what the time was.

The last thing Rolly listened to before he fell asleep, was a radio news show. The death toll in St. Louis was still climbing, and there was still not much known about the situation in Ft. Leonard Wood, except that fallout was a danger east of the fort, and there were evacuation efforts to get people downwind going as quickly as they could.

Copyright 2010

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Rolly - Chapter 2

It was much the same the next morning. Rolly had the radio on as soon as he was awake after the wakeup call. Still nothing at La Palma. Rolly muttered a prayer that it would continue to be the same until they were closer to safety. He didn’t even begrudge Betty the time when it was six o’clock before she met him for breakfast in the lobby.

It took a cup of coffee and part of a second before she lost the look that would have had Rolly writhing on the floor if looks were weapons. He ate twice what he normally ate for breakfast and urged Betty to do the same. Though they still had the chicken, he wasn’t sure just how well it had held up the day before.

Hopefully they could get some distance behind them and still find a place open to pick up something for dinner, and lunch, too, if the chicken turned out to be inedible.

They were checked out a little before seven and walking along Highway 50 a little after. West bound traffic was much heavier than the night before, but it was over an hour before anyone stopped to give them a ride. But get one they did. But only to the west side of Clermont.

The next ride cost. And Rolly was careful to stay close to the game cart. He couldn’t afford another incident like the one with the cab. Rolly and Betty got out of the truck at the I-75 and US 98 interchange. They continued west on US 98, but not very far.

Traffic was getting bad and it was hot and humid. Rolly decided an early stop would be all right. There’s still been no announcement of La Palma. According to Rolly’s do-it-all telephone’s mapping app, Lockhartt Road was just ahead, and there was a heavily forested section on the westbound side of the highway, between two houses.

When they were at about the center of the wooded tract, Rolly waited until there was a short break in traffic and then hurriedly pulled the game cart off the road and side ditches and into the woods, Betty following him, complaining about not getting another ride.

She simply stood and watched Rolly unload the tent and set it up. When the sudden rain came, she dived inside and Rolly followed. It only rained for a few minutes. Betty was already insisting that Rolly find her a bathroom when the rain stopped.

“Come on,” Rolly said after getting out of the tent. He grabbed the e-tool and a camper’s pack of toilet tissue and headed deeper into the woods. Knowing what was coming, Betty lagged behind. Rolly had the cat hole dug by the time Betty came around the last tree and into sight.

“I hate this!” Betty said. But she seemed resigned to the situation and just looked at Rolly when he handed her the toilet tissue. Rolly sighed and went around a couple of trees, out of sight of the cat hole.

Betty slapped the small plastic roll of camper’s tissue into Rolly’s hand when she came past him. Rolly went and did his business and refilled the cat hole. Betty was just standing beside the tent when Rolly returned. “I’m hungry! We didn’t eat lunch.”

“I know. I’m sorry. But Betty, I’m trying to get us to a safe haven before those fanatics blow up the La Palma volcano and inundate the whole peninsula with a five hundred foot wall of water.” Rolly decided she needed to understand the situation. No more coddling and holding back the bad news from her.

“The highest point in Florida is only three hundred forty five feet above sea level,” Rolly told her. It is not inconceivable that a tsunami wave of even more than five hundred feet could cross the peninsula, taking us and everything else with it.”

Betty blanched. “You’re making that up!”

Rolly shook his head. “No, I’m not. Not why don’t you lie down and I’ll get us some supper started before the mosquitoes get too bad.” Rolly took a sleeping pad and sleeping bag from the cart and tossed them into the open door of the tent.

Reluctantly Betty followed. It wasn’t like she didn’t know what to do, she’d been forced to go camping before, when she was growing up. And always hated it. Slowly she rolled out the self-inflating sleep pad and pulled the sleeping bag from its stuff sack.

When the pad had risen to proper thickness she closed the valves and arranged the sleeping bag on top of it. She stretched out on top of the bag.

Rolly went about preparing the Mountain House Pro-pac freeze-dried individual entrées and rehydrated some freeze-dried strawberries, as well, for dessert. He was more than a little surprised that he had to call twice to wake Betty up when everything was ready. When Betty came out of the tent, Rolly sprayed the interior with bug repellent and closed the screen of the door. It wouldn’t be long before the mosquitoes were out in force.

Rolly had the two heavy duty totes from the game cart in which were packed many of the supplies he’d purchased set up as seats. When Betty sat down he handed her one of the entrée pouches and a spoon. He set a bottle of water beside her and then sat down to eat his own supper.

Another rainstorm blew through as Rolly cleaned up after their meal. He joined Betty inside the tent, and like her, stretched out on top of the sleeping bag fully clothed.

Despite the circumstances, both slept soundly through the night. The shower just at dark had cooled things down enough to be comfortable. The same couldn’t be said the next morning. The heat was back, as was the humidity, and it was very uncomfortable.

A surly Betty used the cat hole and then ate the breakfast that Rolly prepared with hardly a word. She was still silent when Rolly gripped the game cart handle and headed toward the highway through the trees.

“I simply don’t believe this is happening,” Betty said as they turned right and headed west once again. “There is some kind of mistake,” she continued. “If there was something real FEMA and the National Guard would be out doing something.”

No sooner had she spoken when a convoy of Florida National Guard trucks went flying by to the east.

“Oh, no! No! No! No! It can’t be real!” exclaimed Betty.

Rolly had the wind up radio on. He’d been listening to a local news show, but quickly stopped and switched to the Weather Band and found the local station. It wasn’t good news.

“… must begin immediate evacuation. All persons in this region should go north and west. Please assist anyone unable to evacuate on their own.

“I repeat. There is a high probability of a large tsunami striking the eastern coast of Florida within a few hours. All persons on the Florida Peninsula must begin immediate evacuation…”

Betty suddenly sat down on the side of the road and began crying. “We’re doomed! We’ll never make it!”

“Get up, Betty. We will make it. We’ve got several hours before the tsunami can get here. And I might be wrong about it coming this far west.” Rolly reached down and gripped his sister’s right hand firmly and tugged. “But we have to keep moving. You heard the announcement. Head west and north. That is exactly what we are doing. And we have a head start on the majority of people. If we can just get a ride…”

Betty was standing up, but when Rolly began to walk at a fast pace, pulling the game cart, Betty was barely shuffling forward. “Come on, Betty!” Rolly said, his voice rising slightly for the first time.

Sniffling, Betty picked up her pace. When they heard a vehicle approaching from behind, Betty quickly turned, stepped onto the roadway and had her thumb out. She had to jump out of the way when the vehicle shot past, nearly hitting her in the process.

“Geez! Betty! Don’t do that! Are you crazy? People are going to be going nuts. If someone stops, fine. But we have to keep going.”

Betty was white as a sheet and crowded up near Rolly, away from the road, barely on the shoulder.

It was a while before vehicles started whizzing past, headed west, almost all of them at high speed, with many loaded down with personal possessions.

When they reached the Spring Lake Highway intersection someone in a pickup with space in the bed stopped and offered the pair a ride. The hair on Rolly’s neck stood up suddenly as the man driving the truck looked at Betty.

“Just you, Darlin’” Suddenly the man had a pistol pointed at Rolly. “And your stuff.”

Rolly didn’t hesitate. He dropped the handle of the game cart, lunged to his left to put the rear window post between him and the muzzle of the gun as he reached back and pulled the 9mm from behind his waistband in the small of his back.

A bullet whizzed past his head, but he had the pistol up and triggered five shots. The rear window collapsed into pieces and the man screamed. Then Betty screamed as the dying man fired one more shot, this one at her.

Vehicles continued to go past at high speed, all ignoring what was happening at the intersection. Rolly moved to Betty. She had a gash on her left arm. She looked up with dazed eyes at Rolly. “I’ve been shot. I’m going to die.”

Rolly thought she was going to faint, but his sister surprised him. She didn’t. But she did sag a bit and Rolly grabbed her. As vehicles continued to go past, Rolly got her sitting on the shoulder of the road and took out the first-aid kit that had been one of his first purchases.

He cut the sleeve of her blouse away and cleaned the wound. That brought a short scream of pain from Betty, but again she held on to consciousness. A few minutes later Rolly had the wound bandaged. “Just sit here until I come to get you, Betty,” Rolly said softly.

Rolly ran around the truck, which, fortunately, was well off the pavement. He dragged the dead man out of the cab and over to the shoulder. Rolly hurried back to the cab. There was a duffle bag on the passenger seat and Rolly opened it. There were some clothes in it, in addition to a few other things. The clothing was what Rolly was looking for.

He cleaned the surprisingly small amount of blood from the seat and steering wheel. When it was clean enough to suit him, Rolly dragged the duffle bag over, and tossed it into the bed of the truck. Still no one had stopped.

With the tailgate down, Rolly managed to load the game cart by pushing down on the handle to lift the front of the game cart high enough to rest on the edge of the tailgate. It was almost too much for him, but Rolly managed to slide the game cart and lift at the same time and get the cart into the pickup truck bed. He closed the tailgate, ran over to Betty and helped her get up.

Rolly get his sister into the passenger seat of the pickup, with some difficulty. She didn’t want to enter where a man had been killed. Finally Rolly said, “I’m leaving in one minute. If you aren’t in the truck by then I’m leaving you here. I’m not dying because of you.”

It startled Betty enough to get her in the truck. Rolly put the truck in gear and finally caught a short break in the heavy traffic. He merged and picked up speed before he looked at the fuel gauge. He sighed in relief. There was almost a full tank. He noticed a switch on the dash and flipped it. The second tank the truck had was also full. It would be enough to get them home. If time and traffic allowed.

Rolly kept the speed up, much faster than he was really comfortable with, but that was the speed that most of the traffic was going. Even at that, there were cars that shot past anytime there was an opening in the other lane.

Rolly stayed on US 98/Cortez Boulevard almost to Brooksville. But when the Boulevard split off south of the city, Rolly took it and continued west, south of the city. Though it would have been a shorter route and northward to boot, Rolly chose to avoid the city.

He stayed on Cortez all the way to the 589 Suncoast Parkway toll road. Traffic was tremendous. Bumper to bumper, but at high speed. It was a long uninterrupted run. When they reached the end of the Parkway, just before it intersected US 98 again, people were ignoring the toll booths. The stop gates had been run through and lay on the pavement in mute acceptance of the situation. There were no signs of the attendants.

Grateful that the truck was four wheel drive, Rolly went around several sets of wrecked cars and trucks blocking the lanes between the toll road and US 98/Ponce De Leon Boulevard. Traffic was even heavier on US 98 than the toll road. Rolly didn’t see how it was possible. And no one was allowing the merging vehicles any space.

Gritting his teeth, Rolly saw a slight gap in the traffic coming and floored the truck. He forced the merge, with more than one person laying on their horns in protest. He caught the collision a few cars back in his rearview mirror when the car behind him coming from the toll road tried the same thing.

Rolly concentrated on not getting into an accident himself as he traveled northwest. It was a similar situation where 98 met US 19. Rolly started to merge several times, with horns honking behind him constantly, but backed off when the openings closed up.

After almost five minutes of trying, Rolly managed to bull his way onto the northbound lanes of US 19/US 98. Again it was bumper to bumper at high speed. There were wrecked vehicles of all types pushed off the pavement out of the way of the travel lanes.

Rolly wasn’t too surprised to see people beginning to use the south bound lanes to travel north, with southbound vehicles brutally run off the pavement to make way for the panicked travelers headed north.

He had the radio in the truck turned on and listened to the announcement that La Palma had been nuked and the feared tsunami was on the way. Rolly stayed on 19/98 and was going more westerly now. Though he didn’t relax much, he did relax some. Then, when the road angled more northerly, they were still adding distance from the Atlantic. But traffic became a real nightmare.

Rolly stayed on 19 when 98 headed north and 19 went west with US 27. Traffic began to thin when 19 split off and went north while US 27 continued west. They were almost home when Rolly turned off US 27 and went south on 259/Wauhkeenah Highway. But they came to a screeching halt when run off the road by someone passing a slower car headed north.

Managing to control the truck enough to avoid major injury, Rolly and Betty were both shook up when the airbags slammed them back against the seats when they deployed. Rolly said a prayer of thanks that the game cart handle missed him when it came through the missing rear glass. It was a near thing.

Rolly got out first, having to climb through the door window after he knocked out the remaining glass after it shattered in the crash. He ran around and managed to get Betty’s door open and her out of the truck. “You okay?”

“I don’t know,” Betty said weakly. “I guess so.” She seemed to be taking stock mentally and nodded after a few seconds. “Yeah. I guess I’m okay. What do we do now?

“We hoof it again. The game cart came through all right it looks like, despite having been knocked around some in the bed. Come on. I’m sure we’re safe from the tsunami now, but I’m worried about potential responses to it.”

“What do you mean?” Betty asked, groaning slightly as she made her way up to the road.

“I think we’re on the brink of nuclear war. That device in Ft. Leonard Wood was no homemade bomb, from the effects the news was reporting initially. I suspect the same at La Palma, though of course I have no proof.

“If the US retaliates when they analyze the data from the two explosions and find out it was China, Russia, or even Iran or North Korea, things could get dicey.”

“No. Not nuclear war! Not on top of this!” cried Betty.

“I don’t know,” Rolly said, trying to reassure his sister. “But I’m not taking a chance. I want to get home and get into the shelter.”

Rolly managed get the game cart out of the bed of the truck with no more damage to it or himself. A few minutes later they were walking south, headed for their home north of Thomas City.

Rolly was relieved to see Jan Calhoune come to a quick stop after she went past them, southbound. She parked on the shoulder and got out of the truck. “Guess you cancelled the cruise. You guys all right? That your truck back there?” she asked.

“It’s been horrible!” Betty said, going into Jan’s arms without invitation.

Rolly looked helplessly at Jan. He and Jan kind of had a thing going, despite Jan’s slight dislike of Betty.

“Let’s get you home,” Jan said, disengaging herself from Betty. “What’s that thing?” she asked Rolly when he rolled the game cart up to the back of the pickup.

“Game cart. Read about it in a story on the internet and decided to use one on the trip home. It’s been a big help.”

“Oh, yeah. Should have recognized it as such.”

With Jan’s help, Rolly got the cart loaded. Jan closed the tailgate and told Betty and Rolly, “Let’s get you home. I’m headed there myself. I’ve got a bad feeling about all this stuff going on.”

“Me, too,” Rolly said. He helped Betty up into the cab of the truck. He had to boost her up as the four wheel drive truck had a six inch lift and wore thirty-five inch tires.

The three were silent as Jan drove the rest of the way to Rolly’s place. She helped him unload the game cart and headed back to the truck.

“Look,” Rolly quickly said, going over to stand by the truck after she got in. “If the worst happens, you have a place here. You know that.”

“I know, Rolly. Thanks. But I’ve been improving my situation some. You know that.”

“But your shelter isn’t much.”

“I know. I know. And we’re not that far from Tallahassee.” Jan had a faraway look on her face for a moment. “If… I don’t know. Don’t be surprised if you see me on your doorstep if things go bad.”

“That’s all I wanted to hear,” Rolly said.

“I’ve got to go. I need to get some things done, in case the worst does happen.”

“Okay. Same here,” Rolly replied. Reluctantly he watched Jan drive away. With a sigh he turned and grabbed the handle of the game cart. Betty was already in the house, in her bedroom when Rolly went to his room after putting the game cart in the basement through the outside entrance.

She still hadn’t come out when Rolly finished his long shower and went to the kitchen to fix them a meal. He had the TV on and watched as the media covered the pandemonium of the evacuation process.

There was at least one long range aircraft tracking the tsunami. There really wasn’t anything to see, except the expanse of water. The wave had yet to form. The tsunami was just a wave of energy in the deep water.

The hours passed, and the evacuation came to a near standstill as roads were blocked by collisions and abandoned vehicles. It wasn’t just the peninsula of Florida being evacuated. All up and down the east coast was being evacuated to a distance of twenty-five miles from the coasts. When the tsunami hit the continental shelf, it suddenly became apparent what was happening. A wall of water formed, climbing higher and higher.

There were several aircraft and helicopters waiting to get video of the approach of the wave as the jet that was the only thing that could keep up with the wave reported its progress.

Unfortunately, several of those in the slower aircraft badly misjudged the situation. They wanted good video of the tsunami as it passed under them. Only, at four to five hundred feet above the surface, they were way too low for the event. When the pilots realized their mistake as the wave got close, they tried, to a person, to gain altitude. But the wave, traveling at slightly over five-hundred miles an hour, now towering over seven-hundred feet above the normal sea level overtook them. They disappeared into the face of the wave.

Those further back saw the event and many managed to climb high enough to avoid the same fate, but it was a near thing in many places.

Still travelling at over five-hundred miles an hour, and at a radar indicated height of seven-hundred-ninety-eight feet, the tsunami wave hit the beaches of the entire east coast of the Americas.

The newscasters, every one of them, fell silent when the Florida began to disappear under the wall of water. The various tower and building mounted cameras showed the destruction, before they, too, were swept away by the tsunami.

As the wave traveled across the state, it literally scoured away everything down to bedrock. The front of the wave turned into a mass of destroyed buildings, vehicles, animal carcasses, and human remains.

Down to only a hundred feet high, travelling at only one hundred fifty miles an hour, the tsunami dumped much of what had once been the Florida peninsula into the Gulf of Mexico, leaving huge areas of floating debris, even as the rest sank to the depths of the Gulf.

But it was only the beginning. Three hours later the second tsunami wave hit the barren rock of Florida’s east coast. This wave, though slightly slower, was even taller than the first, though there was nothing in its path that could measure it.

Rolly began to worry that he might be in the disaster zone as the water of the second wave continued to go west on the eastern side of the panhandle. But the water finally came to a stop just west of US 221 highway, only a few miles from Rolly’s place. A long, huge pile of debris covered the ground from the Gulf up into Georgia where the wave finally stopped.

The five successive waves were each much smaller and merely washed over what was already destroyed.

The news from the north was almost as bad. The twenty-five mile evacuation zone proved to be not nearly enough in some places where the contours of the coast caused the wave to become higher and travel much further inland than forecast.

Everything manmade on the entire eastern seaboard of the US was essentially gone. New York and Washington D. C. only topped the list.

Betty had come into the living room once, but hurried out at the sight on the TV of the destruction she and Rolly had barely escaped. Rolly watched until he fell asleep in the recliner after one in the morning.

He woke about five and prepared a pot of coffee. The coverage of the event was still on-going. Rescue attempts, and they were mostly just that, attempts, were not going well.

Betty finally got up, but avoided the TV. She prepared breakfast and called Rolly into the kitchen to eat. When he turned on the TV in the kitchen Betty took her plate and went to her room to eat.

It was ten o’clock Eastern Time when the former Vic-President, newly sworn in President, having left D.C. on a different plane than the President when the first attacks had occurred, spoke to the nation. Or started to. Rolly lost the satellite signal and the screen went to white noise. It took a few seconds for Rolly to realize that not only had the TV gone white, but the room had gone dark. The lights were out.

Rolly took out his cell phone from his pocket. It came on but there were no bars indicating any signal. “HEMP,” he whispered to himself. Then he whispered Jan’s name. But he couldn’t do anything about her at the moment. Right now he needed to secure the place and get it ready for a nuclear attack. He wondered if he’d made a big mistake choosing to live where he did. In an all out attack, Tallahassee would be a target.

“Rolly! The lights are out! Do something!” Betty called from the open door of her bedroom.

“I know,” Rolly replied, standing at the bottom of the stairs to the second floor bedrooms. “I want you to gather some things to keep you for a while and go down into the shelter.”

“I’m not going into that thing again! You know I hate being closed up!”

“I’m not going to argue it with you, Betty. Things are just too out of control right now. If the worst happens, you’ll live if you go down there. You won’t if you don’t. Just make up your mind. We’re on the verge of a nuclear war…”

“I’d rather die than live after a nuclear war!” Betty yelled. She slammed the door to her bedroom. Though he didn’t hear it, Rolly suspected she had locked the bedroom door. It was just the way she was.

Putting her out of his mind for the moment, Rolly set about securing the house for potential fallout and worse. He had the antenna towers cranked down and folded over. Everything outside was brought inside the garage or one of the outbuildings.

Taking a last look around the house to make sure he hadn’t missed anything, he was on the west side of the house when Betty called down to him from her open bedroom window.

“It’s hot up here, Rolly! Can’t you do som…” Her words ended in a scream as the world exploded into whiteness. Rolly felt his shirt catch fire and begin to burn as heat permeated his body.

He dove to the ground and rolled over and over in the grass. When he was sure the shirt had stopped burning and as the light started to come back to a natural state, he sat up and stripped off the remains of the shirt.

Rolly couldn’t keep the groan from escaping. It felt like his back was still on fire. He turned to look when he heard rubber tires sliding on rubber. It was Jan. She hopped down out of the cab of the truck and ran toward him.

Her eyes were on something else, however, when she came up to Rolly. Rolly turned to look and saw his sister, lying on the ground, her face turned toward him at an unnatural angle. Her eyes were pools of liquid in a red, burned face. Her clothes were smoldering.

Forgetting about his own problems, Rolly rose to his feet and tried to go over to Betty. But Jan had his arm.

“There’s nothing you can do, Rolly. She’s dead. Let’s get you inside so I can tend to your burns.”

“The flash… she fell from the second story… She was screaming…” Rolly was muttering, his eyes still on his sister until Jan had him around the corner. “Too close to Tallahassee…”

The air blast wave knocked them both down, when it hit, and showered gravel from the driveway all over them when it reversed in a fraction of a second. Jan managed to get Rolly back onto his feet after she got herself up.

Rolly groaned again, but seemed to come around when he went into the darkness of the house, now shuttered. “Her room! It could be on fire! The shutters were open!” There was no worry about the rest of the brick façade of the house.

Rolly headed for the stairs, but Jan was to them before he was. She grabbed one of the fire extinguishers she knew was in the upstairs hall closest and tried the door to Betty’s room. It was still locked. And it was hot to the touch.

But suddenly house fire alarm sounded shrilly. Jan looked upward, but the sprinklers that Betty so hated seeing on the ceiling hadn’t kicked on in the hallway. But from the sounds inside Betty’s room the water was spraying.

Rolly had finally made it up the stairs and was at the door. He fumbled a set of keys from the scorched pants. With trembling hands he unlocked the door. He and Jan both stepped to one side as Rolly opened the door. There was some smoke, now rapidly clearing out the window opening, the spray from the two sprinkler heads in the room having suppressed the fire before it could get out of hand.

“I’ll go turn off the sprinkler line to this room,” Rolly said softly, turning away. The splash of water that hit him in the back felt good on his burned skin.

“I want you to go down to the shelter and wait for me. I’ll turn off the sprinkler, bring my things in, and then tend to your back.” Jan was tugging his arm again.

“But Betty… I need to bury Betty…”

“Not right now. There is going to be heavy fallout here in a few minutes. Go downstairs to the basement. I’ll be there shortly.”

Jan ran down the stairs and into the garage. Rolly had shown her the sprinkler installation when he’d built the house a few years before. Everything was neatly labeled. She closed the valve that turned off the water going to the sprinklers in Betty’s room, but left the others on.

Worried about Rolly more than she would admit, even to herself, Jan hurried down into the basement and then through the short hallway that connected the basement with the disaster shelter build behind the house.

Rolly was in the process of trying to untie his boots so he could get his pants the rest of the way off his legs. Though not burned like his back, the backs of his legs were red from the heat his skin had absorbed from the thermal pulse of the detonation.

He was in obvious pain, and Jan went to one knee to untie his boots for him and get them off. She slipped the socks off his feet and then tugged the pants the rest of the way down his legs and off. She could tell it hurt from his rigid posture and grimace on his face.

“Turn around. Let me look at your back,” Jan insisted.

Rolly did so and stood mutely as Jan did a thorough exam of the burns on his back. She told him what she was finding. “Mostly first degree, Rolly. They won’t be too much trouble. No third degree that I can discern. But you have a couple of second degree burns. The blisters are intact though. I think it will be all right to get you into a cool bath to take the heat out. Come on. I’ll fill the tub.”

“A shower…” Rolly protested. He hated baths.

“Will only hurt. That shower head pounding down on those burns will not be good for you. A wet cloth is better than nothing, but you’d be better off in a cool bath. Now, come on.”

Still with some reluctance, Rolly did so. He left his shorts on as Jan filled the tub, carefully adjusting the temperature. She didn’t want it cold. It could put Rolly into shock. Just cool was what she wanted.

She had to help Rolly get into the tub, shorts and all. He eased back into the water, groaning at first, but then sighing. The water was taking much of the sting from the burns already.

“I’m going to go get some bandages ready. You just lie there and let the heat dissipate. I’ll add some cooler water when I come back.”

Afraid to leave him for more than a minute or two, in case shock set in, Jan ran to one of the closets in the main room of the shelter and grabbed a clean sheet. She grabbed the large first aid kit and set it on a table, ready for use. Then she ran back into the bathroom.

Rolly’s eyes were looking a little glazed when Jan got a close look at them when she added cold water to the water already warming up from the heat in Rolly’s body.

“Talk to me, Rolly,” Jan said, swirling the water with one hand to mix it.

His eyes focused on her after a few moments and some of the glazed looked faded.

“About what?”

“Anything. How’d you get back here? I was sure you were gonners when they announced the La Palma eruption.

“It wasn’t easy, let me tell you,” Rolly said, beginning to regain some animation in his face. “Betty…” Rolly bit his lip for a moment. “Betty… Betty was Betty. When we were forced to land at Melbourne, I immediately started back this way. But first I got some supplies. And the game cart. And we walked. Got a couple of rides. Then…” Rolly blanched and fell silent.

Jan decided he was too close to shock to leave him in the water any longer. “Okay. Time’s up. Let me help you up. Don’t strain.”

Rolly stood up, with Jan’s help. He reached for a towel, but Jan already had it and was softly patting the water from the front of his body.

“I’m still wet,” Rolly protested when Jan set aside the towel.

“You can drop your shorts in the bedroom. I don’t want anything touching your back and backs of your legs that isn’t absolutely clean.”

Silent again, Rolly followed Jan into the main bedroom in the shelter. She turned her back after telling him, “Get in the bed, on your stomach and cover your rear. Do not try to cover your back or your legs.”

Rolly wanted to protest, but a glimmer of reason cut through the shock. What Jan was doing was the right thing.

He did as she asked and then said, “You can turn around.”

With the first aid kit at hand, Jan took the clean sheet she’d picked up and draped it over Rolly’s back, shifting the sheet covering him out of the way so the new sheet could cover him from shoulders to ankles.

She used first-aid tape to secure it into position.

“No ointments or lotions or anything for a while,” Jan said and stood up straight. “I’m going to go fix some Emergen-C to get some electrolytes back into your system. You just lay quietly. And try to get some sleep.

Jan was gone only a few minutes. She had a razor sharp memory and the one inspection tour of the place was enough for her to remember where everything was stored. It took only a few moments to add the packets of Emergen-C to a glass of cool water, find a straw, and get back to the bedroom.

Jan held the glass down low, and Rolly was able to take a long drink of the liquid through the straw by simply turning and lowering his head slightly. After that first long drink he relaxed in the bed slightly.

But Jan saw him tense up again. She barely heard his speak. “I killed a guy… We took his truck…”

It caught Jan by surprise, but only for a moment. She loved this man, and knew him. He wouldn’t have just killed someone to take the truck. “What happened?” she asked gently.

Slowly, almost a word at a time, Rolly explained what had happened. How the man had shot at him, intent on taking Betty and the supplies and leaving Rolly behind, dead.

“It’s okay,” Rolly,” Jan said. “You only did what needed to be done.”

There were tears in his eyes when he looked over at Jan again.

“I don’t know… What if I forced the situation…”

“Here. Take another long drink. Then you can rest and we’ll talk about… the other things… later.”

It was a relief, in several ways, when Rolly managed to fall asleep a few minutes later. When he was fast asleep, Jan quickly checked the remote reading radiation meter, turned it on and waited a bit before taking a reading. She was surprised when there was none showing.

Taking a portable survey meter with her from the electronics cabinet, Jan hurried out to her truck, pulled it around to the back of the house, out of sight, and then carried in the things she’d brought with her.

There was still no fallout. Jan thought about trying to do something with Betty’s body, but couldn’t figure out what that would be exactly. She did throw a tarp from the garage over the body, and tuck the edges in, hoping no animals would get to it before she or Rolly decided what to do.

Rolly was still asleep when she went back into the shelter, so Jan made herself comfortable, keeping an eye on the fallout meter while she read up on burns in one of Rolly’s many medical texts. At eight that evening Rolly was still asleep. Jan prepared herself a light dinner and went to the other bedroom in the shelter and went to bed.

Copyright 2010

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Rolly - Chapter 3

Rolly’s groans woke her up the next morning. She’d left the bedroom doors open so she could hear him if he had difficulty in the night. She quickly got up and went into the main room of the shelter.

“How you feel this morning?” she asked, a bit cautiously.

Rolly, wearing only his shorts and the sheet taped to his back spun around quickly. He’d been getting water from the shelter refrigerator. “Better, I guess,” he replied. “I should get dressed…”

“Not until I take a look at your back. Turn around.”

Rolly did so without protest. “Feels stiff and dry. And I have a terrible thirst.”

“I’m not surprised. I think the heat is all gone,” Jan replied. I’ll put some WaterJell on the burns now. It’ll help keep them moist and sterile. Let me get the first aid kit.”

“Don’t waste the WaterJell,” Rolly replied. “We might need it later for something more serious. Just check it over and I’ll go get dressed to protect it.”

“You sure you don’t want to soak a bit in the tub to rehydrate? And I’ll mix up some more Emergen-C electrolyte drink.”

“Yeah. Okay. But I want to check the radiation meter first.”

“There wasn’t any reading when I check last night before I went to bed,” Jan told Rolly.

“We should have had some…” Rolly said, checking the remote reading meter. “But nothing. I wonder if there is something wrong with the outdoor probe. Unless…”

Rolly looked thoughtful.

“What are you thinking, Rolly?” Jan asked.

“A couple of things don’t add up. It just occurred to me that there wasn’t a ground shock wave. Only the atmospheric one. And the light… We should be far enough away that Betty wouldn’t have seen the blast or received any thermal radiation. I think the device was an air burst, and well this side of Tallahassee. I’d put money on the fact that that one malfunctioned and went not only off target, but detonated before it was supposed to.”

“You think… Whoever it was… Missed?”

“That’s what I’m thinking,” Rolly replied with a nod. “There’s been quite a bit of conjecture just how well some of the guidance systems and warheads would work in an EMP rich environment. Maybe we can get more information from somewhere. I’ll hook up an antenna to the shortwave and see if anyone is on the air.”

“First I check your back,” Jan said firmly.

Rolly turned around and let Jan un-tape the sheet. She tossed it out of the way and looked over his back in detail. It was a dull red, but the blisters of second degree burns were still intact. If Rolly just kept it clean and covered, it should be all right. She told him so and he headed for his bedroom to dress.

“Something very loose, Rolly,” Jan called to him. He hadn’t closed the door completely.

“Okay. I know.”

Jan was in the process of getting breakfast going, to have something to concentrate on instead of the groans that Rolly was emitting as he dressed. She looked over when he came out of the bedroom. He had on a loose white T-shirt and a pair of cut-off jeans.

“You think that’s enough protection on your legs?” Jan asked.

“Yeah. They’re fine. Less than even a sunburn. It’s my back I’m worried about.”

“I really think it will be okay, Rolly. As long as we take care of it.”

“I know. But anything like this could be a big problem now. I’m going to go out and look around. Take the survey meter and double check on the radiation.”

“Well… Be careful…” Jan said, her voice lifting slightly as Rolly went into the connecting hallway to the basement.

She was on pins and needles until Rolly came back in. She was just ready to go out looking for him when he stepped inside. His look was more sad than grim.

“No radiation,” he told Jan. “And… And thanks for covering Betty. I’ll go out after breakfast and dig a grave.”

Jan simply nodded and watched Rolly sit down heavily in a chair at the table. He grunted when he leaned back in the chair, and straightened up. “Going to have to watch that,” Rolly muttered.

He looked over at Jan when she carried a plate filled with scrambled eggs, sausage, cheese, and two pieces of toast to the table for him. Rolly ate, but not much. When he was clearly finished Jan took his plate and utensils and carried them over to the small kitchen counter. Where once she would probably have dumped the food, this was a new time. She carefully put the food in a storage container and put it in the refrigerator.

“I’m not up to digging the grave just yet,” Rolly said after watching Jan at the domestic task. “I want to see if there is anyone on the air.” He got up and took the few steps needed to get him to the communications desk and cabinet.

Though he’d lowered the primary towers with the main antennas, there was one long wire antenna still up, but disconnected and grounded. He disconnected it from the ground and clipped the end to the wind up radio he bought on the trip. It wasn’t the best, but he wasn’t going to risk one of his quality radios. Not yet, anyway.

A few turns of the crank and Rolly turned the radio on. He checked the broadcast AM and FM bands. Nothing. Next the shortwave bands. Still nothing. The weather band was silent like the others, with just white noise static when he turned up the volume.

He’d left the Amateur Radio bands till last, hoping that at least a few had survived and would be on the air. Again nothing. He turned to look at Jan. She was sitting near, listening. “You heard?”

“Yes. That isn’t a good sign, is it? Tallahassee isn’t an isolated event.”

Rolly shook his head. “I don’t think so. We may never know exactly what happened. I only have suspicions and speculation.”

“Those being?” asked Jan.

“Whether one of them was responsible for the terrorist attacks or not, I think either China or Russia took advantage of the damage the tsunami did and launched an all out attack on us to finish us off. We won’t know for a while if our side retaliated. I think we probably did. All out thermonuclear warfare.

“And Russia and China, no matter which one started it, if indeed one of them did, I figure the one that launched on us was launched on by the other, out of fear they would be included in the attack. Or just because. I don’t know. Could be any number of scenarios.”

“What do we do now?” Jan asked.

“I bury my poor dead sister. She’d said when we got back she hoped she died in the first blast if war came. Somewhat prophetic.” Rolly blinked back tears as he stood up. “I’ll be back in a little while,” he told Jan.

“I’m coming with you, Rolly. You aren’t going through this by yourself.”

“But I…”

“No buts. I’m coming. Let’s get it done before something else happens.”

Rolly nodded and headed for the basement.

Rolly’s Kubota tractor with backhoe attachment made short work of digging the grave out at the edge of the trees that surrounded Rolly’s property. It was her favorite place to sit and read, or play her flute.

Jan took Rolly’s right hand in her left as they stood looking down at the pile of dirt that covered Betty. Rolly sobbed and Jan brought him into her arms to hold for a long time. Betty hadn’t been Jan’s favorite person, but she was Rolly’s sister and he loved her.

It was getting dark when Jan finally pulled gently away and led Rolly back to the house. She checked his back and then let him go to bed, his face drawn with grief. Jan sighed and sat down at the communications desk. She reconnected the antenna, and then, like Rolly, began to run the various communications bands the radio boasted.

And again, like Rolly, she heard nothing but static caused by the ionization of the atmosphere from the effects of the hundreds of nuclear weapons that had been used in the short timeframe of the war.

During the next several days Jan began to worry about Rolly. He was listless and depressed. Not his usual self at all. She was afraid he’d ask her to leave. Not out of fear for herself, but for him. He could easily slip over the edge and simply stop eating and drinking. If she wasn’t preparing the meals and almost making him eat them, Jan was fairly sure he wouldn’t be eating now.

But Rolly, in his bedroom on the sixth day after the nukes, ran out to join Jan when the radio squealed as she tuned across an Amateur Radio frequency. Carefully Jan tuned back and forth until she had the frequency as clear as she could get it. Both she and Rolly listened quietly to a conversation.

It wasn’t a particularly pleasant conversation as one operator gave death totals to another and the information acknowledged. But to Jan and Rolly it was as if a light switch had been turned on. Especially for Rolly. There were other people out there. Other survivors.

Jan saw the mantle of despair leave Rolly’s shoulders as he quickly took one of his Amateur radios out of the faraday box he kept all the important electronics in and began to hook it up. “Here,” he suddenly said. “You finish hooking up. I’m going to go raise one of the towers.”

He literally ran out of the shelter. Jan, smiling for the first time in days, quickly connected the radio to the twelve volt power grid that Rolly had installed and then took an antenna lead off the grounding block and attached it to the transceiver. She had the signal tuned in again when Rolly came back into the shelter, panting slightly from the exertion and heat outside.

Rolly sat down in the chair before the desk, keyed the microphone of the radio and spoke. He gave his call sign and a request to break into the conversation. The other two operators quickly agreed and Rolly began to give what few details he knew. Mostly just that he and Jan had survived and hadn’t seen anyone else.

When he mentioned they had not received any fallout the other two were amazed. “I think it was an off target midair burst,” he told them. I think it was probably close enough to Tallahassee to get most of the population by neutron radiation. But I don’t know about physical damage, or if there are any survivors.”

The one that seemed to be in charge asked Rolly, “Any chance of a recon trip to find out more?”

“You bet. We have an operating vehicle. We can go take a look around. Same time tomorrow?” Rolly asked.

“Same time. And that’s all for now on my end.” Both operators signed off.

Rolly did the same. He turned excited eyes to Jan. “We have a lot to do! There is some organization left!”

“I heard,” Jan replied, rather amused at the newfound vigor in Rolly. Then she was caught by surprise when he suddenly stood, caught her up and whirled around twice with her in his arms. Then his lips were on hers. But not for long enough.

When he suddenly broke the kiss, she went forward and started another one. He pulled away again. Looking down at the floor, he said, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that.”

“Yes, you should have,” Jan replied firmly. “A long time ago. Now, let’s go. You’re right. We have a lot to do. And I intend for that to include repopulating the nation. Come the right day, a ring, and a proposal. Just so you’ll know.”

Rolly’s eyes were wide. “You really mean that?”

“You think I’m kidding around?”

“No! No! Of course not… I… Uh… I’ll rectify the situation at the first opportunity.”

“Good. Now let’s go.”

Rolly figured he was grinning like a fool as he followed his soon to be wife out of the shelter and into a new world that needed rebuilding.

End ********

Copyright 2010
    Jerry D Young

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    As much as I love these stories, it makes my head hurt how unprepared I am for disaster. Literally, my head hurts real bad right now. :)

Still, as usual, GREAT story.

Top Bottom