• ...and so much more!
  • MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Terre Hot Indiana?

****in hillbilly.

Yeah, he grossly mispronounced Terrible Hot didn't he.
    Yeah, I caught that, too.

Dear James,

One redneck hillbilly to another, thought I might give ya tha lowdown on this here pronunciation thing. Terre Haute is pronounced "tear uh (lahk ya terr them targets up) followed by "hote", which rhymes with goat. Now, don't feel bad. Folks 'round these parts, knowin' yer from Tennessee an' awl, won't be itchin' fer a lynchin'.

When I was a youngin', I remember hearin' a politician recall one o' the worst moments of his life when he was campaignin' in Ripley county and said to the crowd, "So nice to be here in Versailles" (but he used the French pronunciation [ver s-eye]). The crowd immediately responded angrily "Ver-sales!". He said, "I stand corrected", and went on with his speech. Not sure if it screwed up his chances of gettin' votes there.

:):

FTA: Oh, and if ya stop for gas or whatnot on your way up here, it's "Lou-uh-vull", with the second syllable condensed or barely pronounced. (Made that mistake a long time ago after living "up north" [of Hwy 50 that is], but got corrected by a charming young lady from the area.)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom