• ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    [ame]http://youtu.be/lifYwUfHYqY[/ame]

Not saying this is the best video, just posting for anyone interested. I will say don't put tape over the port, especially if it's been rumbling around in a pack with "dirty" hands. All you're going to do is compromise the site and introduce phlebitis.

If you are wanting to secure it to the patient, no need for the tape when you have the tegaderm anyway (transparent sheet/window dressing). Also, write the date and time of insertion on the tegaderm so you don't have to remember.

It's also a good idea to start the farthest from the patient's core, so more on the periphery (hand/wrist) as compared to the inner elbow, but if you need to refill a bunch of fluids, a larger bore needle/catheter and the inner elbow will probably be ok.

I'm not a "trainer", but I have done this quite a bit on the job :)

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    just a word of warning. Watch a you tube video does not teach you nearly enough to properly start and IV. Also, I have been told by several DR's and other Medical professionals that the "good Samaritan" laws would not cover this and you would be putting yourself at potential legal risk by doing this if you are not properly trained and licensed.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    just a word of warning. Watch a you tube video does not teach you nearly enough to properly start and IV. Also, I have been told by several DR's and other Medical professionals that the "good Samaritan" laws would not cover this and you would be putting yourself at potential legal risk by doing this if you are not properly trained and licensed.

I have to agree. I'm not sure I'd trust anyone whose training and experience consisted of watching a YouTube video once. Too much potential for things to go very wrong.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Yeah... don't do this.

First, most fluids are Rx. I'm pretty sure the catheters are as well.
    You would not be covered under Good Samaritan laws.

I've never rolled up on someone with an IV started before I got there (by untrained/uncertified bystanders), but we'd probably pull it to be honest.

Hell, I know a lot of hospitals that pull OUR IVs that we just put in, since they weren't started in the aseptic environment.

In Indiana, EMT-B's can't even start IVs, do you really want to be putting your self into a situation where you are doing things that most first responders (the people, not the certification level) can't legally do?

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    There's a lot of value to these kinds of things to learn on a ballpark basis. I'm not going to use it tomorrow, but some of the basics tend to stick. If the world looks different in a few years, these little ballpark skills could actually come in handy. If someone still shows up when you call 911, just watch the videos and be happy you won't be called upon to perform these techniques. Stay in your lane unless you are the only one on the road.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Yeah... don't do this.

First, most fluids are Rx. I'm pretty sure the catheters are as well.
    You would not be covered under Good Samaritan laws.

I've never rolled up on someone with an IV started before I got there (by untrained/uncertified bystanders), but we'd probably pull it to be honest.

Hell, I know a lot of hospitals that pull OUR IVs that we just put in, since they weren't started in the aseptic environment.

In Indiana, EMT-B's can't even start IVs, do you really want to be putting your self into a situation where you are doing things that most first responders (the people, not the certification level) can't legally do?
    I've seen some of the medics start them, and can't really blame the hospital for wanting to pull em...especially when they have no hubs or anything :) LOL

docapos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    mooresville area
    For general disaster prep an IV has to many variables and not enough immediate benefits but in a SHTF situation to replace blood volume and rehydrate combined with drug manuals and keeping skills up they could be life savers. I also don't believe it's best to learn such skills from youtube, on the flip side though when i dropped my first IV with the military it was a see one, do one, teach one skill.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've started IV's and it can be a real ***ch. I don't recommend most people do it unless they undergo extensive emergency medical training.

Top Bottom