• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    He seems insulted by those suggesting he might need focus beyond his specific mission.
    NO, he is not making camp.
    NO, he is not building a fire.
    NO, he does not need shelter.

Don't get me wrong, I like his specific mission of point A to B. This is a welcome difference from the strict "bushcraft" (the new "tactical"?) make fire, build shelter crowd. I just think Yeager being Yeager is too stubborn to think his mission could change with a roadblock, turned ankle or point B destination on fire when he arrives.

We'll see, he's the smart guy makin' money doing this. While carrying a pile of (freebee?) flashlights and other name brand accessories to test.:rolleyes:

IIRC Yeager stated his first trip would be 20 miles. If he maintains a speed of 1.5 - 2 mph he should be able to make the trip in 10 - 13.5 hours. Granted I don't know how rough the terrain is but I'm assuming he'd be looking at 15 hours max. There really shouldn't a need for a fire/camp in that distance. In his 2nd video he did show a tarp and stated it could be used for shelter if needed.

Now if he was to doing the 2nd trip of 50 miles, I believe he's going to need to make a small camp with a fire at sometime, especially if he stops for a break/couple hours of sleep in the cold/rain.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Bug out bags and get home bags and their contents ALWAYS have to be based on individuals and THEIR expected/planned activities, goals, and capabilities. For instance, my BOB/GHB always has to take into account that it may have to be shared with my wife, who may or may not be in the vehicle with me when using the emergency supplies becomes necessary. Since my wife won't exercise regularly and whose idea of "roughing it" is when the motel doesn't have a closet in which to hang clothes, I can plan on the fact that we won't be traveling fast/far and that our need for food/shelter/etc will be greater than you younger folks who can still march 20 miles a day. So my needs and, more importantly, my expectations and plans will have to take those factors into account. Add in the fact that we like to travel when we can, and frequently visit the Chicago area, or travel down to Kentucky, and you can see that my situation may just be a little different than those of you who have their families close at hand and who seldom travel 20 miles from home. My solutions won't necessarily work for you, and my pontifications about the need for "urban camo" or "cross country camo" won't necessarily apply to your situation.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    This is exactly why I took my gear hiking a while back. You find out what you need and what you don't. Some people may find their packs aren't very good at all.

20 miles a day on foot on a road is no problem, but add 40lbs to your back and rough terrain and you are lucky to do 6. I'd encourage more people to do this. Leave the comments of what he did right or wrong out of it. Anyone who tries this will learn quickly what they need to take with them.

I did this and it completely changed my though on bug out gear. Now I am more prepared and my pack is highly mobile and can sustain me for about a week on the move. I'd encourage anyone who wants to bug out to build a pack like a hiker would. Ask anyone who's hiked the AT, those people know how to move fast and live out of a back pack.

Besides, if you are bugging out, there should be a lazy-boy and a T-Bone dinner waiting for you when you get there.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I really need to get out and do this, but I have no intentions on bugging out, especially on foot.

I've really slimmed down my GHB though. It's not a whole lot more than food, water, and a couple other items at this point.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I think it's been an interesting series of videos by Yeager. He mentions that he thinks his max weight should be about 20lbs. That's surprising for someone that appears to be in pretty good shape. His mindset is also to be moving as fast as possible for as long as possible. Maybe I missed it but I'm waiting for him to talk about why they chose this route, this location, etc. He did mention that they're very familiar with these woods.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    His method is interesting, and different from what I've heard others talk about. I get that this is less like "camping" and more like getting to a known point on foot.[/video]
    I have not watched his videos, no need to do that but that would be called E&E.

The other day I was 2 miles in on a hunt and I had a problem arise. If it got worse I would have to stay in place for half a day minimum, it was 30 degrees, wet and windy. Add to that I had just been in a creek for a few minutes up to mid thigh with boots that were only mid calf and the wind chill was under 20. The minimum gear I carry even on a hunt like this is basic gear you would use to get from point A to point B and ride out bad weather or at least have a chance to do it. I am not knocking this guy but there is a lot of info on E&E out there courtesy of our US Govt and a lot of guys who know these skills. If you have no clue where to look, buy the USAF survival book, Maybe the SAS book and 12 ways in, 6 ways out. I own them all and more.

This applies to any location from urban to wilderness. I first learned it as a kid in California living in LA, then shortly after that in ND and MN. I highly suggest you try night hikes in your area so you know who is out there on night shift and how things look as well. Your routes will change with the time of day, activity and terrain.

As for my problem the other day, I was able to solve it by hand but if I needed tools, I had them. My dog was caught in a drowning trap in a creek with a leg hold trap. Also, had she been hurt too bad to walk I would have had to wait with her until people came to get me, I always let people know where I am hunting because I hunt alone, or I would have had to drag her out. If I left her alone, other predators would find her before I ever made it back. Although she only weighs 60 lbs, her plus my shotgun and kit adds up and the terrain is ungodly difficult in places. How much does your kid weigh? So yes, keep your gear light, multipurpose and focused, don't assume absolutes and know your gear. Less is more if you know how to use all the crap you carry. I did not plan for a trap. I am ready for porcupines which she had just avoided, only a minute later to step in a trap wired to a log.

I am thankful that even young I was trained on how to deal with water in winter, drag people out of bad situations, land nav day and night, shelter in place, move undetected AND I would never rely on my phone as my compass and GPS, which don't work well in this area anyway.

To add to this, we hunted back to the truck for another 1.5 hours and I did not even need to take off my boots to dump water or change socks. If you dress right and know your time tables /ETA's you can motor on even wet in winter.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I really need to get out and do this, but I have no intentions on bugging out, especially on foot.

I've really slimmed down my GHB though. It's not a whole lot more than food, water, and a couple other items at this point.
    Get out, Get in, Get home. It is all the same. A few years back they had a highway closed in Indiana due to bad winter weather. Some of my coworkers who had the same commute first spent 6-7 hours on the road, then ended up sleeping at homes of others nearby, they never made it home. I left work later than most of them and I was home in 2 hours, for what was normally a 1 hour drive and I was never once stuck among the sheep.

Sure I was driving, that is always phase one. Then I left the highway, got out my gear and used logic to land nav around the typical govt mentality. If for some reason I had to go on foot it would be that same gear and route. Same gear I hunt with, camp with, fish with, boat with, drive with, walk with. If you have the skills, you could care less about the acronym others are using. I always call it my gear. How I set up, organize and use my gear is based on my skills and preferences.

If I sound preachy I apologize but you guys can do this if you want to.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Is he making camp? Is he making fire? No, I am not a hater, I just think it is funny.

Yeah he did say he would only be building a camp for demonstration purposes. Looks like plans changed with the way he was talking about his gear beating him up on the hike. For the amount of weight he had, distance he's gone, and time it took, the whole thing sounded way more difficult than it should've been. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I enjoy watching Yeager's stuff, as I'm not a hater either. I just like to watch a variety of opinions and then form my own for what I believe works best for me and mine. Anyway, I did find it funny that right after he was done talking about stowing your gear away before grub and relaxation, he cuts to an image of his shemagh spread out with junk all over it! I'm sure it was for demonstration/explanation for the video, but still I chuckled. I liked the idea of the folding window shade though!

Top Bottom