• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So Yeager is filming a multi-part series on an upcoming bugout hike. I thought the regulars of this subforum would enjoy the ride along.

His method is interesting, and different from what I've heard others talk about. I get that this is less like "camping" and more like getting to a known point on foot. Just for grins I looked up the Mapquest "on foot" directions from my place to lovemywoods'. I was a bit surprised at how long it was estimating it would take. I imagine such a trek would be very sobering.

Anyway, here they are for your viewing pleasure. Watch for a few sprinkled 4-letter words.

[video=youtube;o4XuEz_yNF0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XuEz_yNF0[/video]

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I had to comment on this. I am not a Yeager hater or fan. Wish him well. But when I see him teaching people to "Bug Out" with military looking packs, Camo clothing, etc. I CRINGE. You are drawing too much attention to yourself. During an event which necessitates you leave your abode, what will draw more attention - a guy in Camo with an OD pack on foot or a guy wearing a Filson Birdhunters coat, Carharts and a wool drivihg cap? Someone who looks like they stepped out Carharrt or Orvis Catalog is a lot less interesting to LEOs, Military, Thieves and marauders and less threatening to everyone else.

I'll also repeat my mantra of "light is right". If you are moving to a location with supplies, you need very little with you, but you need to be alert, fresh and be able to move quickly and quietly. If you are leaving your abode and preps with no place to go, things have gotten REALLY bad and you need to be fast and light even more.

This is a BOB just to get from point A to B, huh? How many lights did he have with him? I think I counted 4. If this is an R& D trip then OK, but IMHO there's way too much stuff for a bugout for a few days.

I do not mean to throw rocks, but think this through and be realistic about your conditioning and what YOU need for YOUR situation. YMMV.

Best,
    Dan

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I had to comment on this. I am not a Yeager hater or fan. Wish him well. But when I see him teaching people to "Bug Out" with military looking packs, Camo clothing, etc. I CRINGE. You are drawing too much attention to yourself. During an event which necessitates you leave your abode, what will draw more attention - a guy in Camo with an OD pack on foot or a guy wearing a Filson Birdhunters coat, Carharts and a wool drivihg cap? Someone who looks like they stepped out Carharrt or Orvis Catalog is a lot less interesting to LEOs, Military, Thieves and marauders and less threatening to everyone else.

I'll also repeat my mantra of "light is right". If you are moving to a location with supplies, you need very little with you, but you need to be alert, fresh and be able to move quickly and quietly. If you are leaving your abode and preps with no place to go, things have gotten REALLY bad and you need to be fast and light even more.

This is a BOB just to get from point A to B, huh? How many lights did he have with him? I think I counted 4. If this is an R& D trip then OK, but IMHO there's way too much stuff for a bugout for a few days.

I do not mean to throw rocks, but think this through and be realistic about your conditioning and what YOU need for YOUR situation. YMMV.

Best,
    Dan

I believe he mentioned several of those lights are in the for evaluation purposes.

Having enough to get from Point A to Point B is a good state but then you get into the argument of "enough", and what about redundancies? "two is one, one is none" mentality.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Stubz - Redundancies are recommended, of course. So in this situation I may have a light on my pistol and a headlamp also. A turbo lighter and firesteel. Not 4 or 5 of the same. I have a lot more redundancy in my storage than my Go Bag, of course.

"Enough" is a hard thing to pin down, and different for each situation. But being able to stay mobile, undeterred and alive will always trump having more stuff with. And without knowing what may be coming, the less encumbered you are the better chance you have of staying so and arriving at your destination intact.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    It appears Yeager is combining multiple goals for his trip. He not only wants to test his basic "go bag" setup, but he also wants to test and review his 5-or-so different lights, is carrying heavy firearms (I guess simulating SHTF scenario), and carrying camera equipment for more videos. The lights and camera equipment explain the small duffel bag he will be carrying. The extra weight will be a definite test for him.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

Best,
    Dan

have to disagree with your assessment of wearing a military style pack. Presumably the S has H the F. I highly doubt ones choice of backpack is going to draw more unwanted attention than anyone else. I would be more concerned with projecting an image of wealth and/or weakness.

Now, in an E&E setting when the rest of the folks are going about their daily business , I think blending in would be good but then carhart may not be the best choice depending where you live. I think Mr. Yeager made some great points especially relating to customizing your bag to geographical region and expected use.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    One thing I find amusing, is that he welcome feedback, but then makes fun of some of the ideas. I know it it James after all. I like him overall, but about 5-10% of what he says I do not agree with. That said, I do not have half the skills that he has and trains.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    He focusing on a realistic approach.

To be honest much of his advice is quite sound and safe. Carrying a house on your back while sprinting under fire for 10 miles is impossible for 99% of the population. Work smarter, not harder is his advice.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    One thing I find amusing, is that he welcome feedback, but then makes fun of some of the ideas. I know it it James after all. I like him overall, but about 5-10% of what he says I do not agree with. That said, I do not have half the skills that he has and trains.

I thought it was amusing too. But I was laughing with him. Who doesn't get irritated when people comment of your post without listening to/reading it first. Come on people it's James Yeager you gotta expect him to give you crap for that stuff.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How is he clueless?...

He seems insulted by those suggesting he might need focus beyond his specific mission.
    NO, he is not making camp.
    NO, he is not building a fire.
    NO, he does not need shelter.

Don't get me wrong, I like his specific mission of point A to B. This is a welcome difference from the strict "bushcraft" (the new "tactical"?) make fire, build shelter crowd. I just think Yeager being Yeager is too stubborn to think his mission could change with a roadblock, turned ankle or point B destination on fire when he arrives.

We'll see, he's the smart guy makin' money doing this. While carrying a pile of (freebee?) flashlights and other name brand accessories to test.:rolleyes:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Some good food for thought. I dis-agree with some of his suggestions but then again I'm only a retired .mil guy.
    I believe he is just trying to say this is HIS take on the "bag" issue. He believes that this will fit HIS situation. Most of the things seem pretty well thought out.
    IMO, MY bag may be slightly different as I need to travel from inner city to suburbia if I need to get home on foot from work and MY skill set is different than HIS. Let the mission drive the train.

Bob

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I like seeing videos like this from Yeager. It is always good to see what other people are trying and possibly picking up something that you might have overlooked or a different way of doing things. We can practice all we want in our house with our gear but until you actually have the weight on your back and a few miles down the road it is just theory. The best is reading the guys posts who know they are taking three long guns and a thousand rounds of mixed ammo. Those are the guys who are clueless and the ones you should follow so you can pick up their gear they drop when reality hits:D I'm barely a novice at the bug out idea and need to get some serious road work so that I can be ready in case something unfortunate happens.

Top Bottom