• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Italian beef is my 2nd favorite sandwich just behind the breaded pork tenderloin.

Today, I was at the Cannoli Queen in Greenwood and had a delicious Italian beef sandwich there. Also had my first cannoli and both were very good. It's a family run business and everyone was very nice. I know they're closed Sunday/Monday and found out the hard way Tuesday they are closed occasionally for catering. If you were ever going to go out of your way, check their Facebook page or call first to be sure. I'll be sure to go back for more.

That said, any other good Italian beef sandwiches in the Indy area?

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    A couple on the north side, 96th St by the Menards and Culvers, with another one just south of 86th and Michigan. Their names escape me.

Not bad, but they usually offer some Hoosierized version of it with cheese that offends my Chicago sensibilities. Beats driving to Cook County on a regular basis, however.

p.s. Some Walmarts carry "Papa Murphy's" Italian beef in 1 and 5 lb. containers. Again, not the bomb, but if you throw in some garlic, let it simmer, and have peppers handy, it will work.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    King Gyro's on the southside (East Street north of Southern Plaza) has a pretty good one, and cheap. Not anywhere near as good as Portillos, but will work in a pinch.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    King Gyro's on the southside (East Street north of Southern Plaza) has a pretty good one, and cheap. Not anywhere near as good as Portillos, but will work in a pinch.

+1 on Portillos. I like Buona Beef, too. My sister says she's not a fan, however.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Italian beef is my 2nd favorite sandwich just behind the breaded pork tenderloin.

Today, I was at the Cannoli Queen in Greenwood and had a delicious Italian beef sandwich there. Also had my first cannoli and both were very good. It's a family run business and everyone was very nice. I know they're closed Sunday/Monday and found out the hard way Tuesday they are closed occasionally for catering. If you were ever going to go out of your way, check their Facebook page or call first to be sure. I'll be sure to go back for more.

That said, any other good Italian beef sandwiches in the Indy area?

BTW, you should get negative rep for bringing up Italian beef at midnight! :D

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    BTW, you should get negative rep for bringing up Italian beef at midnight! :D
    :+1: I am stuck at work and I am now starving for an Italian beef sandwich. ****. Italian food is some of my favorite. But only when its legit. Olive garden just doesnt cut it. AND THIS PLACE YOU SPEAK OF MAKES FRESH PIZZELLES! I LOVE Italian waffle cookies. This place is on my list of to do's. Probably tommorrow before work. Is it expensive? Average cost of a meal?

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    :+1: I am stuck at work and I am now starving for an Italian beef sandwich. ****. Italian food is some of my favorite. But only when its legit. Olive garden just doesnt cut it. AND THIS PLACE YOU SPEAK OF MAKES FRESH PIZZELLES! I LOVE Italian waffle cookies. This place is on my list of to do's. Probably tommorrow before work. Is it expensive? Average cost of a meal?
    I think the sandwich combos were $7.95 or $8.95 which was the sandwich and fries. The fries were crinkle cut and then shaken with shredded parm (I think?) and then a side of marinara sauce.

It ain't cheap, but a business operating just 11-2p and 5-8p(9p on Fri/Sat) just 5 days a week has to be doing something right to be open for 2 years now. I'm tempted to go back again myself for dinner with the whole family tonight and check out the entrees.

I spoke with the "Queen" yesterday and they don't offer their entire bakery of cookies/breads/cupcakes every day, so keep that in mind. It's probably best to always call prior if you have your heart set on something. I'm definitely picking up a tiramisu cake in the near future from them.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    p.s. Some Walmarts carry "Papa Murphy's" Italian beef in 1 and 5 lb. containers. Again, not the bomb, but if you throw in some garlic, let it simmer, and have peppers handy, it will work.

I did that once...not going to make that mistake again. I felt like it was the White Castle quality of Italian beef.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Maybe five or six years ago, there was a place in Broad Ripple, on the main drag, that was the best in Indy. Don't think the Hoosiers could handle it and he lasted maybe a year. He was an older guy and came from "the old neighborhood".

The week he closed, I went in for a last hurrah and he gave me a large jar of giardiniera.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Not sure if you guys have slow cookers, but I make my own Italian beef all the time, it is really easy. All you need beef roast, any will work but i usually use a rump roast, a jar of banana peppers some Italian dressing mix, put it all in the crockpot on low for 8-10 hours and it's ready. I love coming home from work and opening the door to that smell.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    There used to be a place in Brownsburg called Sweet Home Chicago that had good Italian Beef. But it closed 2 or 3 years ago now.

I have heard good things about Fat Dan's, in Broadripple, but I haven't been there myself yet. Hopefully it's not like so many other places in Indiana that put "Italian Beef Sandwich" on the menu, and then when it gets to your table, it's nothing like this:

italianbeef.jpg

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Not sure if you guys have slow cookers, but I make my own Italian beef all the time, it is really easy. All you need beef roast, any will work but i usually use a rump roast, a jar of banana peppers some Italian dressing mix, put it all in the crockpot on low for 8-10 hours and it's ready. I love coming home from work and opening the door to that smell.

I've done that a few times... always tastes awesome! Top it with provolone and serve on a nice roll.

Original Homemade Italian Beef Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    South of Chicago Pizza and Beef
    619 Virginia Ave
    Indianapolis, IN 46203

You can thank me later.

One note, I am not used to having provolone on my beefs and they add it normally. You can get it without if you prefer but I find it a pretty good addition even if it is not "authentic"

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    South of Chicago Pizza and Beef
    619 Virginia Ave
    Indianapolis, IN 46203

You can thank me later.

One note, I am not used to having provolone on my beefs and they add it normally. You can get it without if you prefer but I find it a pretty good addition even if it is not "authentic"

I think I just decided to pass on chicken wings from the oven and will go here for lunch instead. I'm stoked about the pizza buffet.

And then I'll take a sandwich home with me. :D

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    hole in the wall near 31st and Princeton in Bridgeport in Chicago is where we used to go after returning from the masssive Lake county gun shows

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

I just had leftovers of a similar recipe for lunch. :D
    Mine uses a 12 oz jar of pepperoncini peppers, plus 1/2 the juice, Italian dressing mix, beer or beef broth. I used beef broth.

Top Bottom