• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I will start of by saying that a lot of my friends and people from school will come to me for defense of gun related questions since i was always the gun nut in school. that being said 2 people one completely new to guns the other only hunts with guns came to me with the same question, "if someone breaks into my house and has a gun, knife, rpg, chainsaw, or whatever should i shoot them. And to be honest at first i thought they were joking and then i realized they weren't. I told them bad guys dont carry guns or weapons because its their right they carry them because they plan on using them in an unlawful manner. One of them ,the one who hunts, understood the other one still says that they will wait until the BG attempts to use the weapon against them:n00b: then she went on to call me paranoid for thinking that way. Maybe I just dont see things the way others do.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    IMHO, someone that breaks in my house with a gun, knife, rpg, or chainsaw, they're not there for tea and cookies.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am of the understanding that at one point or another you may have to articulate why you were afraid for your life or grave bodily injury (assuming you used deadly force). Maybe the one friend that said they'd wait until the BG tried to use the weapon truly wouldn't be afraid of their life until s/he did attempt to use that weapon. Personally, I think they're naive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Push in my door/window and leave in a bag. The big zip up kind you see on CSI and such shows.

As stated, if they come in un-announced/invited it will not end well for someone. Make the intruder that someone.

Just makes sense. I can not get my head wrapped around the "I will wait" mind set. WTH is that. There have been maybe 6 felony's committed already.....they have bad intentions.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I believe most legal definitions in this country permit the thought that if a break in occurs with the home owner present, intent to harm may be assumed. BANG! That being said, Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground does seem to codify this a bit.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Psychological project comes in many forms. Most common is for folks to attribute their own BAD thoughts to someone else. (eg: I can't trust myself with a gun, so I can't trust anyone else either).

It comes in the other flavor as well: folks that are so naive and "nice" that they can't fathom that others are not nice people as well (just misunderstood). With any luck, she will make it through life never experiencing the dark side of human nature. Otherwise, she makes the most excellent prey.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yes, them breaking into an occupied home is reason enough to assume they intend to harm you and reason to fear for your life. You don't have to wait to verify whether they are armed.

That being said you cannot shoot them once the threat is eliminated. That may include them running away, being shot down and not moving etc. You are also required to provide aid to them if injured. Usually calling an ambulance satisfies that requirement.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Yes, them breaking into an occupied home is reason enough to assume they intend to harm you and reason to fear for your life. You don't have to wait to verify whether they are armed.

That being said you cannot shoot them once the threat is eliminated. That may include them running away, being shot down and not moving etc. You are also required to provide aid to them if injured. Usually calling an ambulance satisfies that requirement.

Cell phone reception is real bad at my house. Making a call can be quite a challenge.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Calling 911 is considered providing aid. I wouldn't touch a down bad guy unless he was cuffed. Laying down tends to bring BP back up and sometimes puts people back in the fight.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the intruder is jacked up to the moon on drugs/booze he/she will be fearless and hard if not impossible to bring down physically. If you do get one of the crazed zombies down....they need to be kept down. Use your imagination.

timsdl72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    West Lafayette
    If the intruder is jacked up to the moon on drugs/booze he/she will be fearless and hard if not impossible to bring down physically. If you do get one of the crazed zombies down....they need to be kept down. Use your imagination.

Prefer to use my hollow points. They expand much more reliably than my imagination!

Top Bottom