• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    During my last 2 range sessions with my Ruger LCR 357, I have experienced "crimp jump" (if that is the correct term). This only occurred with Remington Golden Saber 357 125 grain rounds. The 1st round fired normally, but the cylinder would then not turn, effectively locking up the revolver. As many of you know, this sometimes happens with very light revolvers that fire heavily recoiling calibers.

Even though this phenomenon is usually attributed to recoil issues, the Golden Saber is not a full-house magnum load. Oddly enough, I have found that full-house Speer Gold Dots in 125 & 158 weights cause no issues in my gun(except for pain in the palm).

I have read that this is an ammo problem, not a gun problem. That makes sense to me. My question is this: Is the Speer Gold Dot just that much more reliable/higher quality than the Golden Saber? I like the Speer products, but these are hot loads for a 17 ounce revolver. I don't want to download to a 38 Special. Are there any 357 loads that don't recoil quite as much as full-house loads that seem to work in lighter revolvers, with none of these crimp/jump issues?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yes, this is an ammunition issue.
    All revolver ammo must be roll crimped properly, but the part of the equation that's actually more important (and often overlooked) with ensuring no problems that you are having with that Golden Saber is neck tension, i.e. having the neck portion of the brass expanded just enough to allow the bullet to seat without damage.
    I would bet that Remington was over-expanding their brass, a clear manufacturing fault.
    I would contact Remington for a refund.
    Letting them know that you had problems would also probably get them to readjust their equipment.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Yes, this is an ammunition issue.
    All revolver ammo must be roll crimped properly, but the part of the equation that's actually more important (and often overlooked) with ensuring no problems that you are having with that Golden Saber is neck tension, i.e. having the neck portion of the brass expanded just enough to allow the bullet to seat without damage.
    I would bet that Remington was over-expanding their brass, a clear manufacturing fault.
    I would contact Remington for a refund.
    Letting them know that you had problems would also probably get them to readjust their equipment.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think you're right - it's probably best to contact Remington. Unfortunately, I have several boxes of this ammo and don't recall which one the problem rounds came from. Plus, they were running that rebate at the time I bought some of it, so I am not as concerned with a refund as I might normally be. I am a big fan of the Golden Saber overall, even though it is no longer a cutting-edge round. It's hard to find a premium 357 mid-velocity round.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    You might try re-crimping a few of them. If you don'tr reload, I'm sure that INGO members in the Evansville area will be glad to help. Increasing the crimp is not a big deal if you have the equipment.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One visible check you can make is to see if the crimp is actually in the cannelure grove. It's not a lot of help if it's above or below this and I've seen ammo with this flaw in the past.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One visible check you can make is to see if the crimp is actually in the cannelure grove. It's not a lot of help if it's above or below this and I've seen ammo with this flaw in the past.

Great point.
    A seating depth mistake alone can cause that one.

eurobeaner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Had the same problem when steel case in my gp100. Now I no longer run steel in it. I was noticing the cases were expanding so much they were very hard to get out. Had to hit the extractor on a table to get the cases out. Couple hundred rounds of brass later and have not had the issue again

Top Bottom