• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BandageThat!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Clark County
    Is it true that the NRA is more or less responsible for the fact that we cannot own an automatic weapon made after 1986? What I have heard from various amounts of unsubstantiated table talk was this:

The NRA gave more or less approval to the '86 Act rather than vehemently fight against it because they believed it would have been declared unconstitutional at the Supreme Court?

I'm just curious about the NRA and their role when it passed. Like I said it's just unsubstantiated table talk.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    What is true and what we really know aren't necessarily the same thing. We believe the NRA bailed on us in 86 because they said the McClure Volkmer Act was worthwhile legislation (it is and was) and they didn't want to see it lost because of a fight over a silly add on ban of machineguns. They have never been much on the MG's and in many folks opinion seem to be more worried about skeet shooting and hunting than in the 2nd. On the other hand they may be the only game in town to keep us out of the poop in the near future.

Frank

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The NRA has no legislative powers. The laws are put into place by the legislative branch. They try to influence whatever they can and they have to try to figure out which battles they can win if they support them. Anyone who is married learns you can't win them all, you try your best to win what you can. Does everything always turn out right?

The NRA has 4 million dues paying members. Back in 1986 they had about 2 million. The NRA would have a lot more power if the other 100 million or so gun owners would step up and be counted. That also means each member being involved at the local, state and national level. That also means voting as a block against candidates that are willing to compromise the constitution.

In this country, even poor people readily drop $35 for a Harley Davidson or ball team shirts and a meal for 2 at Applebees costs more that that if you leave a tip, I cannot believe all the cheap gun owners. For everyone who is an active member I know 20 who will not become involved because:
    1) it's too much money (no it's not)
    2) they did something I didn't like (are you involved enough to talk to your field rep? They actually take your opinion seriously)
    3) They send too many ads to the house (so does Walmart and Lowes, so what)
    4) add your favorite excuse

Do you realize the power potential that would be wielded if 100 million gun owners decided to work together in a solid block?

Belly aching on the internet to each other will not accomplish any goals. If the NRA membership would even go to 50 million, and we worked together we would not be worrying about tyrany taking away our little black guns.

Join the NRA, join other groups, write letters to government leaders, attend meetings both club and government, donate to legal funds, teach hunter or firearm safety classes, get involved in organized competitions, build your local clubs, be a shining enough citizen that you have influence among the non gun enthusiasts in your community. While I personally have no problem with it, open carry of a big handgun on your hip and snarling at scared, confussed people just because you can does not really help the cause. We have to step up to the plate. Other groups like ethnic, cultural, homosexual, animal lovers, etc. are accomplishing a lot for their cause because they get involved and work together.

I belong to AND participate in every firearms positive activity I mentioned above and I have voted in every election (not just presidential) since 1976. I am sure there are others who do the same. I really want to encourage everyone who will read this to step up to the plate and fight like crazy.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

I belong to AND participate in every firearms positive activity I mentioned above and I have voted in every election (not just presidential) since 1976. I am sure there are others who do the same. I really want to encourage everyone who will read this to step up to the plate and fight like crazy.

What percentage of INGO members do you suppose are also members of a RKBA organization?

I'm guessing 30%... and that would be generous.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree with Leo. The NRA is NOT a branch of the government.
    Blame the politicians.
    Blame people who put them there, or "too busy to be bothered".

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The NRA has no legislative powers. The laws are put into place by the legislative branch. They try to influence whatever they can and they have to try to figure out which battles they can win if they support them. Anyone who is married learns you can't win them all, you try your best to win what you can. Does everything always turn out right?

Do you realize the power potential that would be wielded if 100 million gun owners decided to work together in a solid block?

Belly aching on the internet to each other will not accomplish any goals. If the NRA membership would even go to 50 million, and we worked together we would not be worrying about tyrany taking away our little black guns.

Join the NRA, join other groups, write letters to government leaders, attend meetings both club and government, donate to legal funds, teach hunter or firearm safety classes, get involved in organized competitions, build your local clubs, be a shining enough citizen that you have influence among the non gun enthusiasts in your community. While I personally have no problem with it, open carry of a big handgun on your hip and snarling at scared, confussed people just because you can does not really help the cause. We have to step up to the plate. Other groups like ethnic, cultural, homosexual, animal lovers, etc. are accomplishing a lot for their cause because they get involved and work together.

I really want to encourage everyone who will read this to step up to the plate and fight like crazy.

Just like hunters, shooters and gun enthusiast's are their own worst enemy. I taught hunter's ed, coordinated the hunter ed program for entire counties while I lived in VA, taught personal protection, etc. etc.. I am all for rights and 2A, but we shoot ourselves in the foot and ultimately cause more harm by some of our actions just like other groups who force their "right" on the general public.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    The NRA is the only real game in town for gun owners as of now :( Gun owners of America? is not really a force. I personally cut my ties with and scolded all who would listen at the NRA when I felt they made very poor choices backing democrats like The Baron here in Indiana and (god help us all) Harry Reid. I now fear we will see old Harry stab gun owners in the back but we will see. I may have to throw some money at the NRA again but I will be very purse lipped and will voice my opinions strongly. I recommend we all do the same, make the NRA represent all gun owners not just Elmer Fudd.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    NRA & others

There are those who think the NRA is without value because they haven't lobbied for us to be able to walk down the street with a Tommy Gun and a rocket launcher slung over our backs. However, they are the best game in town and are smart enough to pick their battles. I've been an NRA member for a while and, in the aftermath of the latest shooting, I joined GOA and I'm in the process of joining ISRPA. There are things I don't like about the latter two but I'm joining anyway. We, as individuals, have no voice at all. Millions of people, speaking as one, have been and will be heard! While I am advocating joining GOA & ISRPA, the NRA is hands down the best thing we have going for us. Apparently a lot of people agree as Fox News reported on 12/22 the NRA was averaging 8000 new members a day since the shooting.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    There are those who think the NRA is without value because they haven't lobbied for us to be able to walk down the street with a Tommy Gun and a rocket launcher slung over our backs. However, they are the best game in town and are smart enough to pick their battles.

I hear the "machine gun and rocket launcher" argument, or some variation, from a lot of NRA supporters who want to justify their decision to "pick their battles." Usually, it's also related to a "no legitimate sporting purpose" argument. Any time I see that phrase bubbling to the surface, I expect the NRA to abandon Evil Black Rifles, or "high capacity" magazines again, as long as high dollar shotguns and bolt action rifles are left alone.

The NRA rarely supports any weapon which would actually fall under second amendment protection, since the second amendment has NOTHING to do with "legitimate sporting purposes."

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I personally cut my ties with and scolded all who would listen at the NRA when I felt they made very poor choices backing democrats like The Baron here in Indiana and (god help us all) Harry Reid.

I certainly respect your opinion and your choice to support whomever you want and deny support to those you feel do not support your points of view.

However - it's important to the rest of the readers to know and understand that the NRA is a SINGLE-ISSUE LOBBYING ORGANIZATION. Their sole purpose is RKBA issues. If a group of democrats decided to dance in a pile of discarded products of conception while proclaiming an affirmative RKBA stance, the NRA would likely support them. They're NOT a conservative organization, they're not a libertarian organization, they're not a Christian organization and they're certainly not a liberal organization. They are an organization who supports RKBA issues. Period.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    However - it's important to the rest of the readers to know and understand that the NRA is a SINGLE-ISSUE LOBBYING ORGANIZATION. Their sole purpose is RKBA issues. If a group of democrats decided to dance in a pile of discarded products of conception while proclaiming an affirmative RKBA stance, the NRA would likely support them. They're NOT a conservative organization, they're not a libertarian organization, they're not a Christian organization and they're certainly not a liberal organization. They are an organization who supports RKBA issues. Period.

Not entirely true - they are a SPORTSMAN-issue organization. They are primarily concerned with hunting firearms and organized shooting competition.

brentlh

Marksman
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    May 11, 2012
    Muncie

The NRA has 4 million dues paying members. Back in 1986 they had about 2 million. The NRA would have a lot more power if the other 100 million or so gun owners would step up and be counted. That also means each member being involved at the local, state and national level. That also means voting as a block against candidates that are willing to compromise the constitution.

In this country, even poor people readily drop $35 for a Harley Davidson or ball team shirts and a meal for 2 at Applebees costs more that that if you leave a tip, I cannot believe all the cheap gun owners. For everyone who is an active member I know 20 who will not become involved because:
    1) it's too much money (no it's not)
    2) they did something I didn't like (are you involved enough to talk to your field rep? They actually take your opinion seriously)
    3) They send too many ads to the house (so does Walmart and Lowes, so what)
    4) add your favorite excuse

You make valid points and since I was thinking about it anyway, I joined. :patriot:

Top Bottom