• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtdet01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Glock 23 not best pistol ever. Ugly. .40 is not best caliber...

Only thing good may be that it can be converted to a 9mm :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yep it would be. Because you arent really practicing. If .40 is your caliber, practice with the 40.

If 9 is, practice with the 9.

Otherwise, its just for fun / ****s and giggles.

My advice to anyone, is the best advice I ever got.

"Pick a caliber, pick a platform, and shoot the living hell out of it. Dont screw around."

Now, this is all if based on if your goal is to become scary proficient with a gun / caliber.

If your goal is just to mess around and have fun, like I stated earlier, none of this applies.

But watering down your time with your chosen gun / caliber, is counter productive to proficiency.

In my opinion.

But I have seen this play out as true with dozens of shooters.

The average shooter cant spend enough time / money on the range to truly max out his potential as a shooter in a lifetime.

You just cant.

So watering down that already limited time with different guns, and then FURTHER watering it down with different caliber barrels in the same gun with sights regulated to the original caliber?

Its just farting around on the range in my opinion.

I personally, dont have enough time and money to fart around on the range.

Hope that helps clarify my opinion. It REALLY helped me to have an old shooter tell me this when I got swamped in a bunch of guns and calibers.
    Trust me...I get plenty of range time with .40 to be proficient enough to TCB. If I'm using a .9mm conversion barrel in my G23 I am using the same platform with the same identical grip and trigger than if I were shooting a separate G19.

The way I stay consistant is not switching to different firearms with different grips and controls and different triggers. I wouldn't shoot .40s&w out of my G23 then turn around and shoot .9mm with a CZ, hence the value of a conversion barrel. I use the exact same firearm with the same exact grip and trigger for both calibers.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Trust me...I get plenty of range time with .40 to be proficient enough to TCB. If I'm using a .9mm conversion barrel in my G23 I am using the same platform with the same identical grip and trigger than if I were shooting a G19.

The way I stay consistant is not switching to different firearms with different grips and controls and different triggers. I wouldn't shoot .40s&w out of my G23 then turn around and shoot .9mm with a CZ, hence the value of a conversion barrel. I use the exact same firearm for both calibers.
    If the "average" civilian combat distance is 5-10' and the "average" number of rounds exchanged is 3-5 then my 9mm conversion barrel is hitting to almost the same point as the .40 barrel. At 30 yards there is a little different point of impact. So a sight adjustment isn't necessary to switch barrels.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If the "average" civilian combat distance is 5-10' and the "average" number of rounds exchanged is 3-5 then my 9mm conversion barrel is hitting to almost the same point as the .40 barrel. At 30 yards there is a little different point of impact. So a sight adjustment isn't necessary to switch barrels.

Same sandbags? :D

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Exactly. I never adjust my sights for different caliber conversions on my G23. The sight thing isn't relevant because at combat distances I am gonna be using the same sight picture for .40s&w as I would for .9mm.

I believe the height elevation on a stock Glock G23 sight and a G19 are the same.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Trust me...I get plenty of range time with .40 to be proficient enough to TCB. If I'm using a .9mm conversion barrel in my G23 I am using the same platform with the same identical grip and trigger than if I were shooting a separate G19.

The way I stay consistant is not switching to different firearms with different grips and controls and different triggers. I wouldn't shoot .40s&w out of my G23 then turn around and shoot .9mm with a CZ, hence the value of a conversion barrel. I use the exact same firearm with the same exact grip and trigger for both calibers.

Which is great. But why shoot the 9mm at all? The cost of the 9mm barrel and sufficient mags would take a huge chunk out of a Dillon SDB to load buckets of .40 for cheap...

And 40 brass is plentifull and free. And the bonus of .40 brass is it is all high quality stuff, not cheap foreign 9mm crap brass.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Exactly. I never adjust my sights for different caliber conversions on my G23. The sight thing isn't relevant because at combat distances I am gonna be using the same sight picture for .40s&w as I would for .9mm.

I believe the height elevation on a stock Glock G23 sight and a G19 are the same.
    I've done a lot of shooting with my G30, which I really love. If I'm ever in a pinch I'd rather have it than any other piece. BUT, the 23 is only slightly less "powerful" and it shoots a tighter overall group from 5-30 yards. The G30 starts moving a little up and to the right and at 30 yds is about 6" towards 2 O'clock. The 23 is just a little toward that direction. This is all with 230gr Gold Dots in the 30 and 180gr GDs in the 23.

The tightest at muzzle to 20 yards is the G27. It loves Federal 180gr HSTs and will do a cloverleaf at 7 yds and just a little looser at 10. At 20 it is still very tight but at 30 it is very scattered. That could be because of the short sight radius and my old eyes. (Federal states that the HST does 1,010fps out of a 4" barrel but I'm getting and actual 1,005fps out of the baby 27.)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Which is great. But why shoot the 9mm at all? The cost of the 9mm barrel and sufficient mags would take a huge chunk out of a Dillon SDB to load buckets of .40 for cheap...

And 40 brass is plentifull and free. And the bonus of .40 brass is it is all high quality stuff, not cheap foreign 9mm crap brass.
    BUT, when the full effect of our gun/ammo banning "friends" in DC takes hold the same guys who run illegals and drugs up from Meheco now will be carrying 9mm for the black market. Better have a 9. I don't know if the cartels will offer a variety of 9,40,45,357 or not. Me paranoid? No way.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    BUT, when the full effect of our gun/ammo banning "friends" in DC takes hold the same guys who run illegals and drugs up from Meheco now will be carrying 9mm for the black market. Better have a 9. I don't know if the cartels will offer a variety of 9,40,45,357 or not. Me paranoid? No way.

Ok. well THAT I cant argue. :)

You win. :)

SHTF scenarios trump all.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I guess the point that I'm failing to get across is that I prefer to shoot the .40s&w caliber and ocassionally like to run .9mm so I don't see the point in buying a separate firearm in .9mm and that's why a conversion barrel for the same exact firearm that I shoot .40 cal. in that I am familiar with is the perfect option for someone like me.

lumahuff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    I like the Glock 23, and Glocks in general. I've had a 19, a 26, and a 36, so I've never owned a 40 cal Glock. I've shot them, particularly the 27. I like the idea of the Glock 23 as the ultimate pistol, however, Like you said, it's a pretty nice size, big enough to get your hands on it, but small enough to conceal. You forgot to mention that it can be easily converted to .357 sig as well.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm not much on the .40 round because I have plenty of 9mm's and 45's but I am digging my Gen 4 G23 I picked up last week. Don't know if I will keep it forever but it shoots real nice!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    +1

I think this whole "auto loader" phase is on its way out. Any day now gun owners are going to realize that the revolver (specifically the .357 magnum, Smith and Wesson model 66) is the pinnacle of handgun design.

You have got to be kidding. Revolvers are way too complex, with those fancy revolving parts and all. Too much to go wrong when you need it. What any real self defense expert recommends is a single shot black powder pistol with a flint that works just like it is supposed to. Of course, shot placement is paramount. Reacquiring a target can be tough, since they tend to move around a lot in the 10 minutes you just spent reloading.

But, you can tell who knows there stuff in self defense pistol craft by looking for the guy with the black powder pistol that has the red dot sight mounted. If you think the guy with one gun is dangerous, you really have to watch for the guy with one ball!

Top Bottom