• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let's see. Had a 19, 23, 27 and 26. Bought conversion barrels for the 23 and 27. Sold the 19 and will sell the 26. Netted $500 on the 19 (had add-on bright sights) and will sell the 26 for $500. Conversion barrels cost $135 each ($270) and will have netted $730 on whole deal. Sounds like a good deal to me since I have "a few" 9mm rounds and they are cheaper for practice than the .40. As I get older my old hands may have trouble with the recoil on the .40 and I'll switch to the 9mm barrels.

The .40 does have some bark but what the hey, man up.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Alright then, there being no further discussion we will vote on the 23 being the best pistol ever. By voice vote all in favor say "aye." /AYE. All opposed say "Nay." NAY. In accordance with the reasoning of the chair at the Democratic convention the "Ayes" have it. Motion passed.:n00b:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Next order of business. The question: Are 1911s junk and is the .45 Auto round just a fad?
    I think they are both a fad and won't really catch on. Let's talk about the .327 federal magnum caliber.

I've heard they can do everything the .9mm does. :popcorn:

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    It wasn't for me. My G23 (gen 3 I think) is one of the only handguns I've ever gotten rid of (I think I also sold off a Browning buckmark once). Performed OK, but just felt awkward to hold and kinda harsh to shoot. Never cared for it. Now, my G19 (gen 4) is another story, and I couldn't be happer with it.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Next order of business. The question: Are 1911s junk and is the .45 Auto round just a fad?

I think they are both a fad and won't really catch on. Let's talk about the .327 federal magnum caliber.

I've heard they can do everything the .9mm does. :popcorn:

+1

I think this whole "auto loader" phase is on its way out. Any day now gun owners are going to realize that the revolver (specifically the .357 magnum, Smith and Wesson model 66) is the pinnacle of handgun design.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    If you go 70's large bellbottoms you could carry 2 1911s on each ankle. Platform shoes could hold a lot of ammo too.

Not going to trade my SR40C for a glock anytime soon.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Had mine out at Pops yesterday, I try and do 50 rds a week or every other week. 9mm and .45 occasionaly, but .40 is my bullet and Glock is my gunmaker.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Not at all. I just think it makes close to zero sense to have multiple calibers of handguns to do the same job.

Or a 40 cal handgun that you want to drop to 9mm.

The 9mm, 40 cal, .357 sig and .45 are SO CLOSE to the same from a "killing people" standpoint, in my opinion it is silly to choose multiple calibers to do "THE SAME JOB".

Find a caliber that does the job, and shoot it.

Conversion barrels, in my opinion, are useless fluff.

The 9mm will kill someone just as dead as the 40, the .357, and the 45.

So why go thru the expense, cost, and practice to switch around?

Now, making major in uspsa or whatever I can understand, but when all the rounds are designed to penetrate to the same depth, expand to the same diameter, and do the same thing......

what is the point in switching again?

If you shoot .40, shoot .40.

If you shoot 9, shoot 9.

If you shoot 45, shoot 45.

Now, if they made a conversion kit to change a 9mm to a 44 magnum, or something that could be used in a whole new application <ie, hunting-legal or something> thats fine.

But multiple anti-bad guy rounds out of the same gun?

Negative.

Useless gun-fluff.

Pick one and shoot it, they all do the same job.

Here is a link to a good chart.

Same ammo brand, type, bullet etc.

Notice anything? Their performance is about as close to identical as to be meaningless.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/WinchesterRangerAmmo.gif

So switching a gun from the "man killing 40" down to a 9mm, up to a .357... what real difference does it make?

Other than just for the heck of it. Which .... is easy to justify and difficult to argue against.

ANYHOW, I have said my "Caliber Standardization" peice.

Dom1104... OUT.
    Well if .9mm is more than adequate to do the job then wouldn't it be equally silly according to your logic to have any calibers above that? Just do away with .357 sig, .40s&w and .45acp. since they don't do anything that a .9mm couldn't handle.

I personally like the .40s&w round and I also like to shoot some .9mm too but I don't feel the need to have two separate firearms just because I ocassionally like to shoot .9mm so for me the perfect solution is a conversion barrel. I don't think it's "silly" "fluff" at all.

I see it more as a cost effective solution to fill my needs.

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Well if .9mm is more than adequate to do the job then wouldn't it be equally silly according to your logic to have any calibers above that?

I personally like the .40s&w round and I also like to shoot some .9mm too but I don't feel the need to have two separate firearms so for me the perfect solution is a conversion barrel. I don't think it's "silly" "fluff" at all.

I see it more as a cost effective solution to fill my needs.

Yep it would be. Because you arent really practicing. If .40 is your caliber, practice with the 40.

If 9 is, practice with the 9.

Otherwise, its just for fun / ****s and giggles.

My advice to anyone, is the best advice I ever got.

"Pick a caliber, pick a platform, and shoot the living hell out of it. Dont screw around."

Now, this is all if based on if your goal is to become scary proficient with a gun / caliber.

If your goal is just to mess around and have fun, like I stated earlier, none of this applies.

But watering down your time with your chosen gun / caliber, is counter productive to proficiency.

In my opinion.

But I have seen this play out as true with dozens of shooters.

The average shooter cant spend enough time / money on the range to truly max out his potential as a shooter in a lifetime.

You just cant.

So watering down that already limited time with different guns, and then FURTHER watering it down with different caliber barrels in the same gun with sights regulated to the original caliber?

Its just farting around on the range in my opinion.

I personally, dont have enough time and money to fart around on the range.

Hope that helps clarify my opinion. It REALLY helped me to have an old shooter tell me this when I got swamped in a bunch of guns and calibers.

Top Bottom