• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Let's see what the problem could be. Hmmm. Okay. Try wearing one size bigger underwear and that should solve your attitude problem.
    I don't know about anyone else but I always get cranky and have a bad attitude when my under britches are to tight. :xmad:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sounds like a shoot off to me :)

Tell you what. Shoot the IDPA classifier on video, I will borrow someones glock and do the same, and we will compare scores.

Deal?

What two different people shoot in a qualifier really has nothing to do with subjective opinions on differing triggers.

The Glock trigger is far from terrible. It is reliable and solid, perfectly adequate for a duty pistol for sure, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for competition.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    What two different people shoot in a qualifier really has nothing to do with subjective opinions on differing triggers.

The Glock trigger is far from terrible. It is reliable and solid, perfectly adequate for a duty pistol for sure, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for competition.

I'm not competitive shooter, so hopefully one of those guys can help: In USPSA Open division, could a shooter choose to shoot a Glock? Being generally ignorant to the competitive world, I'm of the belief that the Open division allows the competitor to choose from the widest array of pistol options... yes? Do you see a lot of Glocks in that division?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'm not competitive shooter, so hopefully one of those guys can help: In USPSA Open division, could a shooter choose to shoot a Glock? Being generally ignorant to the competitive world, I'm of the belief that the Open division allows the competitor to choose from the widest array of pistol options... yes? Do you see a lot of Glocks in that division?

Some people run Open glocks, but 2011s are the dominant platform. Open Glocks also have HEAVILY worked triggers to make them less-Glock like. Becuase it's a fact that Glock trigger suck. (But less than HK triggers)
    neener.gif

Open is for old dudes who can't see the sights anymore, anyway. :laugh:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The trigger on my 23 is plenty good enough to do 3" at 30 yards off sand bags. It's not a 1911 but if I had wanted that I would have kept the Kimber.

Can you get a drop-in conversion barrel for your favorite carry to get another caliber?

Does your carry have a firing pin block (not just a thumb safety or grip safety?)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Glock 23 is a good firearm.
    But I'd hesitate saying the perfect one.
    I'd think the perfect firearm would be the one that is with you when needed that can accomplish the task at hand.
    I do have to say, "WOW!" If you can ankle holster/carry a Glock 23 and it be completely concealed, you are obviously a much larger person than I.
    Ankle carry is pretty easy. My normal jeans/slack size is 38x32 but to carry I have 34" length, boot cut pants. My Galco Ankle Glove rides on top of my 6" boot. The gun doesn't really print because the extra length pants make both legs look a little frumpy. If you're looking for a pistol you can see it but as I've said in other posts the average citizen, in code white condition (Oh look at the pretty clouds and puppy dogs), wouldn't notice a hatchet embedded in your head.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't know about anyone else but I always get cranky and have a bad attitude when my under britches are to tight. :xmad:
    I tell Mrs. Ortega that women don't understand discomfort. "Ya think giving birth is hard, how about sitting in a car with a wedgie from Hell and a grip like channel locks on the ole bongo boys."

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The trigger on my 23 is plenty good enough to do 3" at 30 yards off sand bags. It's not a 1911 but if I had wanted that I would have kept the Kimber.

Can you get a drop-in conversion barrel for your favorite carry to get another caliber?

Does your carry have a firing pin block (not just a thumb safety or grip safety?)

Sand bags? How do you EDC those? Seems inconvenient.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

I know, but its an excuse to get out and shoot and I think it would be fun as heck :)

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

Yes, and Yes. And my carry is a 1911. Which do have firing pin blocks, drop in barrel conversions etc.

HOWEVER, drop in barrel conversions are silly.

There is very little that a 40 will do that a 9mm wont, that a 45 wont, that a .357 sig will...

other than making power for another division in sports, conversion barrels are only for people who think "The 9mm is not enough".

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yes, and Yes. And my carry is a 1911. Which do have firing pin blocks, drop in barrel conversions etc.

HOWEVER, drop in barrel conversions are silly.

There is very little that a 40 will do that a 9mm wont, that a 45 wont, that a .357 sig will...

other than making power for another division in sports, conversion barrels are only for people who think "The 9mm is not enough".
    Thanks for your opinion. :yesway: So you are suggesting that the .40s&w is a useless cartridge and should be dropped in favor of the .357 sig? or drop both and just keep the .9mm and .45 calibers?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is he serious about a .40 and a 9mm being near equal. Really.

Getting numb with the dumb. Have a lot of beer to drink so might as well get started.

I have done a few"Drop in conversions" and it aint so. There is always some fittment to be done.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks for your opinion. :yesway: So you are suggesting that the .40s&w is a useless cartridge and should be dropped in favor of the .357 sig? or drop both and just keep the .9mm and .45 calibers?

Of course not, that's just silly. Who needs 9mm?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Is he serious about a .40 and a 9mm being near equal. Really.

Getting numb with the dumb. Have a lot of beer to drink so might as well get started.

I have done a few"Drop in conversions" and it aint so. There is always some fittment to be done.
    Not with my guns. I went with Storm Lake and got a g23x9mm and a g27x9. Both dropped right in and fired just fine.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

Not at all. I just think it makes close to zero sense to have multiple calibers of handguns to do the same job.

Or a 40 cal handgun that you want to drop to 9mm.

The 9mm, 40 cal, .357 sig and .45 are SO CLOSE to the same from a "killing people" standpoint, in my opinion it is silly to choose multiple calibers to do "THE SAME JOB".

Find a caliber that does the job, and shoot it.

Conversion barrels, in my opinion, are useless fluff.

The 9mm will kill someone just as dead as the 40, the .357, and the 45.

So why go thru the expense, cost, and practice to switch around?

Now, making major in uspsa or whatever I can understand, but when all the rounds are designed to penetrate to the same depth, expand to the same diameter, and do the same thing......

what is the point in switching again?

If you shoot .40, shoot .40.

If you shoot 9, shoot 9.

If you shoot 45, shoot 45.

Now, if they made a conversion kit to change a 9mm to a 44 magnum, or something that could be used in a whole new application <ie, hunting-legal or something> thats fine.

But multiple anti-bad guy rounds out of the same gun?

Negative.

Useless gun-fluff.

Pick one and shoot it, they all do the same job.

Here is a link to a good chart.

Same ammo brand, type, bullet etc.

Notice anything? Their performance is about as close to identical as to be meaningless.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/WinchesterRangerAmmo.gif

So switching a gun from the "man killing 40" down to a 9mm, up to a .357... what real difference does it make?

Other than just for the heck of it. Which .... is easy to justify and difficult to argue against.

ANYHOW, I have said my "Caliber Standardization" peice.

Dom1104... OUT.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Let's see. Had a 19, 23, 27 and 26. Bought conversion barrels for the 23 and 27. Sold the 19 and will sell the 26. Netted $500 on the 19 (had add-on bright sights) and will sell the 26 for $500. Conversion barrels cost $135 each ($270) and will have netted $730 on whole deal. Sounds like a good deal to me since I have "a few" 9mm rounds and they are cheaper for practice than the .40. As I get older my old hands may have trouble with the recoil on the .40 and I'll switch to the 9mm barrels.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not with my guns. I went with Storm Lake and got a g23x9mm and a g27x9. Both dropped right in and fired just fine.

Sorry about that. I was referring to a 1911 drop in barrel. I have done 3 Glock drop in deals for friends and myself and it was easy peasy. That is because the Glock is made only by....wait for it.....Glock. That allows all the spec. to run in line from the factory. There are so many freaking company's putting out 1911's that spec is all over the place. Closest I have come to a true drop in was a Clark compensated piece and it only required a bit of time here and there as my patience allowed but turned out swell.

Top Bottom