• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I'll second a Spyderco. I currently carry around a Spyderco Police C07 (all stainless steel, serrated), and I had an Endura (lost it in the woods :tantrum: ). Spyderco knives are tough and some of the larger knives can be opened with a flick of the wrist. I also have a Kershaw Leek (assisted opener) that has served me well for almost 8 years.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    ok i own the spec ops knife that is spring assisted. the botton on top is to lock the blade , that way it doesnt come open in you pocket. It requires you to push the thumb stud to open the knife.

JackhammerScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Georgia
    Smith & Wesson Small SWAT MAGIC Spring Assist Knife (Silver PLN) SWAT - Blade HQ

says its spring assisted, but i am assuming its illegal because of the button on the spine....

Yep, here in GA it is. It has to be opened to the 30% mark before the assist can kick in. That is the only criteria. Blade length and open carry are the main issues. I carry a 6" 1095 Swedish grind no name that i love on my hip. Never had a problem til I went to court. I just put it on all the time and forgot to leave it at home. They made me put it back in my car.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    This may have been said as i didnt feel like reading through but wasnt it posted here a while ago about some uppity politicians saying spring assisted opening knives were illegal? granted I do not agree or think their justification is correct but IIRC some stores pulled them from the shelves

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I am aware of the laws of push button knives in IN. I do wonder why they are for sale everywhere at every gunshow and flea market, however. I have never heard of anyone in my area being arrested for one unless it was in conjunction with another arrest and the knife charge was thrown in as so many other charges usually are. I know police that have told me if I have nothing to worry about as long as I have a LTCH but I know this is misinformation. So what gives? Dumb law to begin with.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I will not reward a cop's fishing expedition by carrying something illegal.

Unless it becomes illegal to carry bacon-flavored toothpicks.

When bacon-flavored toothpicks are illegal, only criminals will carry bacon-flavored toothpicks. lolwhut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    I feel that I must echo previous posters and their warnings agains S&W knives.

The knife of which you speak is a cheap Chinese liscenced product. They exact name of the true manufacturor escapes me at the moment, but they are not known for quality.

Far too many quality American made knives are availible, widely, to sell yourself short. The knife comunity standards are Kershaw, Benchmade, and Spyderco, and a few others.

You can purchase a quality piece of American cuttlery for $40 up to infinity, but the $60-$120 range is the most furtile for quality use knives. Look closely at: Kershaw leek ($40-$90 dependant on blade steel), Kershaw Spec Bump , and Benchmade Stryker for quality assisted openers at a fair price.

It may seem like a lot now, but if S&W folders are the level of knife your used to you will quickly see the difference, and the returns, in quality.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The S&W knives with the "magic" assist are classified as a assisted opening knife because the toggle is part of the tang (which is considered part of the blade). The fact that you are actually touching the blade to open it makes it an assisted opening knife ...an auto you never have to touch the blade to open it... you push a button or some type of mechanical release (scale or bolster release as an example) to fire the blade.

S&W knives are not associated with S&W firearms.....Taylor Cutlery owns the rights to the Smith & Wesson name in the cutlery business.

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My opinion, but since the button is not a part of the blade, like the flipper on a Kershaw, a cop that wanted to say it was illegal could get away with doing so. It's going to depend on if he considers the spine of the handle a part of the handle. If that button is attached to the handle in any way, I bet it is considered a button in the handle and therefore illegal. We really need to change these stupid laws.

Last edited:

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    IMHO the whole "automatic" knife law is one of the dumbest laws. I can open my knife just as fast as the auto ones. Another case where the goverment got involved whitch is never good.

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    IMHO the whole "automatic" knife law is one of the dumbest laws. I can open my knife just as fast as the auto ones. Another case where the goverment got involved whitch is never good.

I couldn't agree more. People need to start questioning these politicians about their stupid knife laws before we end up with some stupid UK style knife laws that prohibit a sharp tip and one handed opening knives.

As far as I know, automatic knives are legal for police use. Well what does that tell ya? That they might be useful for self defense or as a quickly deployed cutting tool in time of emergency?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As far as I know, automatic knives are legal for police use. Well what does that tell ya? That they might be useful for self defense or as a quickly deployed cutting tool in time of emergency?

FYI, there is no provision in the Indiana Code for LEO, EMT, Military, etc etc etc to have/use automatically opening knives.

And yes, the whole law is dumb to begin with.

But I'd take Bradsknives description of this particular knife as gospel. The guy's in business, in Indiana, selling knives.

-J-

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I couldn't agree more. People need to start questioning these politicians about their stupid knife laws before we end up with some stupid UK style knife laws that prohibit a sharp tip and one handed opening knives.

Not in Indiana...auto knives are not legal for LEO/EMT.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Fixed blades are still opened faster....that being said why are the full auto blades illegal? Not debating that they are, just saying. I had wondered about the assist blades. Good info.

Top Bottom