• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The button on the spine is listed as a "flipper", which means you are still pushing the blade with your own force before the spring takes over-- therefore it looks legal.

I'm with Tyler that you could probably find a much higher quality knife, even in that price range. Look at Kershaw or CRKT as alternatives.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.

From Knife description

"The blade is deployed by either the thumb stud (spring assist) or you can push the button on the spine of the knife and it opens automatically."

Nope Not Legal in Indiana

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I guess it depends on if that button is simply pushing the blade, or if it is actually releasing it.

The Thumb Studs are A.OK. And the "button" in question in the back could be alright if it was just a push.

But The fact that the action of the knife is assisted by a spring qualifies it as a "propelled" and makes it a no-no.

based off of the item description "The blade is deployed by either the thumb stud (spring assist) or you can push the button on the spine of the knife and it opens automatically" Its not worth the risk.

And for the bucks there are just better knives out there. Shoot For 30 dollars you could get a real nice Buck or Gerber.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    But The fact that the action of the knife is assisted by a spring qualifies it as a "propelled" and makes it a no-no.

I will have to disagree.

This is why "spring-assisted" knives, like a Kershaw "SpeedSafe" knife, are legal here in Indiana. The spring does not "propel" the blade, rather it "assists" it after you have manually started the opening process.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I will have to disagree.

This is why "spring-assisted" knives, like a Kershaw "SpeedSafe" knife, are legal here in Indiana. The spring does not "propel" the blade, rather it "assists" it after you have manually started the opening process.

huh, learn something new every day. I looked it up again an y'all are completely right.

I would be leery of that button on the back. However the site only lists it as spring assist.
    The site kinda seems a little sketchy tho.

fair enough. But I wouldn't want to carry one. Seems like a easy way to get stabbed in the leg.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    are there any assisted knives in particular you guys would recommend in the $30-50 range? i would just be using it to open boxes at work and maybe as a SD weapon.

is one CRKT as good as another? forgive my ignorance.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I will have to disagree.

That was always my understanding as well. As long as your finger begins the motion of the blade then it is legal. I know my Kershaw Leek sure doesn't seem to need much of a start from me though ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    huh, learn something new every day. I looked it up again an y'all are completely right.

Don't sweat it. Learning is what INGO is about. :ingo:

But I wouldn't want to carry one. Seems like a easy way to get stabbed in the leg.

I don't know about this particular model, but I've carried a Sog assisted opener in the past. The neat thing about the spring, is that it works both ways. Not only does it "assist" in blade deployment, but it also helps keep tension on the blade while its folded, keeping you from having a knife ND. :D

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I think you will be happier with a higher quality knife.

plus a MILLION.

and don't think for a SECOND that Smith and Wesson actually MAKE that knife. cause they don't.

if you need a knife, you need a good knife. not a marketing ploy. your question, "their knives aren't as good as their guns?" is the EXACT reason they put the SnW name on them. name recognition. sell more product without GIVING more to the customer.

Top Bottom