• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Who else feels like it is becoming a buyers market again?
    The few gun shops I have been to lately are stocked up on firearms, their prices are still a little higher than Nov. of '12. I am seeing a lot of AR's not moving in the $1200 dollar range, if it were the middle of Jan they would have gone for a lot more.

Of course I'm just talking about guns here, not ammo, we all know that the ammo market is still a sellers market.
    But I think the lack of ammo, as well as the price of ammo and reloading components is a contributor to a soft gun market.

I'm sure a few people are not buying guns because they feel like they won't be able to get ammo for them. I know the lack of certain ammo, such as the 5.7 has kept me from buying anything chambered in that cal., even though I have wanted a PS90 and a FN pistol for a while now. But when the people that have 5.7 ammo want a dollar a round, I simply cannot afford that, so it keeps me from firearms chambered in 5.7.

Thoughts?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think so, it seems like firearms that are decently priced aren't moving all that well. I think the market is pretty well saturated as far as the casual buyers go.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have also noted the recent stock upgrade in most of LGS in my area. Pricing seems to have leveled off, and lots of ARs on the display areas. Naturally the $1200.00 pricing isn't cheap, buyers are again setting the pace.
    I recently made a couple of purchases, pricing was good, dealers were fair.

The ammo issue is a kink in the hobby, so clean and store away till this changes a little.
    Test fired a couple of mags, clean up, and get a holster ordered for carrying.
    Past experience has been a minimum 100 rds, and at least 50 rds of JHPs before carrying. My older CCWs are still my daily carrys, newer ones as a backup, or a home defense option till proven.

Seems shotguns are becoming priority for HD as well.
    Did some tactical upgrades on my NEF Pardner Pump(stock, sights, sling, side saddle, and laser/light) and am extremely pleased. Fine shooter as well. 00 buck, slugs, #4, all pattern well.
    Good luck finding your ammo, and keep shooting.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    In my neck of the woods it's a toss up. Some stores have guns and some have very few. I have been reading many reports of "future expected inventory" and it seems like many stores are restocking the firearm shelves just fine. Personally the biggest change I've seen is at gun shows....Prices are more "reasonable" now and back to normal rather $1200 for a surplus Ak...anyways, as far as ammo goes I think buyers have a little bit to do with it....If we as gun owners would not go in panic mode and buy buy buy when a shipment came in I think we would begin to see more ammo relief. Gotta give manufacturers time to get a surplus again. I wouldn't say we're out of the woods, but I think I can see a clearing up ahead.

mx866

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    I've noticed many more guns on the shelves in the last month. I'm guessing that most people that were worried now own one.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Lack of ammo is the big chokepoint right now; fewer people are buying new guns without a ready supply of ammo to feed them. The AR market has also softened considerably; our rack is almost full of rifles again, and we have been able to keep lowers and mags in stock.

Supply remains tight on many popular handgun and rifle makes/models, and they are selling quickly whenever we do get them in.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    I knew this insanity would come to a halt once people realized that, no, the world is not coming to an end.

I wonder how that guy who bought my M&P-15 Sport (MSRP about $700) for $1600 last December is enjoying it right now. At least I let him "steal" the Pmags for $25 each.

:):

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Private sales are starting ramp up now that all the panic hoarders have figured out that the ban is dead.

I don't think gun store prices will fall until later this year, but I expect some really good "sales" (pre-panic prices) between now and then.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Been doing a little asking around, 'cause you know, I'm like a regular Clarence Darrow that a way, and apparently the "flippers" are still haunting Wally Mart sporting goods departments. That said, I think they're about to hit the wall. Most LGS's have at least a little .22 and the other popular calibers, and most folks now have at least a basic supply, so they're not going to be willing to pay the higher panic prices anymore.
    I was going through things the other day, and I'm not as well stocked up on bulk .22 as I'd like to be, or .22 short or CBs for that matter, but I do have at least enough subsonic to get by for now.
    I think most guys and gals have at least a little bulk .22 for now.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Summer time is usually the slower times in terms of firearm sales. Items that are decently priced will always sell. As for the market softening, I say just a little bit.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Lack of ammo is the big chokepoint right now; fewer people are buying new guns without a ready supply of ammo to feed them. The AR market has also softened considerably; our rack is almost full of rifles again, and we have been able to keep lowers and mags in stock.

Supply remains tight on many popular handgun and rifle makes/models, and they are selling quickly whenever we do get them in.

exactly!!! ive been in the market for a new pistol for a while now but no point in buying it if i cant get ammo

GarandTeed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Definitely seeing firearm inventories increasing with corresponding pressure on pricing. It's gonna take a little longer for ammo inventories to grow, but as soon as people start seeing ammo on the shelves on a regular basis, the panic buying will stop almost overnight.

GarandTeed

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I knew this insanity would come to a halt once people realized that, no, the world is not coming to an end.

I wonder how that guy who bought my M&P-15 Sport (MSRP about $700) for $1600 last December is enjoying it right now. At least I let him "steal" the Pmags for $25 each.

:):

Way to help out others. Hope you are proud of that. I will be sure to jack the price way up if I ever need to sell a gun to you.

On second though, I would never sell you anything.

Top Bottom