• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a friend going through cancer treatment at IU hospital downtown indy I'd like to drop by and visit. He's doing pretty good but it's only a 50/50 shot he makes it.
    I have to go to the VA this morning and I thought I'd stop in.
    VA is a gun NO NO place but wondered if IU hospital was.
    Anyone in the know for sure?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got a friend going through cancer treatment at IU hospital downtown indy I'd like to drop by and visit. He's doing pretty good but it's only a 50/50 shot he makes it.
    I have to go to the VA this morning and I thought I'd stop in.
    VA is a gun NO NO place but wondered if IU hospital was.
    Anyone in the know for sure?

IIRC, the IU health stuff here in Bedford are GFZ's...I would bet they all are. It seems to be standard policy for most all hospitals.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Just dont be seen. my wife went through 4+ months of weekly Chemo in that hospital and I carried everywhere there in that hospital

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    You should also realize that all the hospitals are connected to the IUPUI Campus. If someone sees you with a gun, there will be widespread panic and you will surely be on the 6 o'clock news being perp walked through campus just to prove a point........Just my 2 cents.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Just dont be seen. Been to the cancer center several times as a patient (luckilly not cancer, just happens one of my docs is there). I wasnt seen and it wasnt a problem.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    For my own curiosity, which of the Indy area hospitals have a "secure" area for the treatment of those who are currently incarcerated; and what (if any) impact does such an area have on our legal ability to carry there?

Anecdotally, when my appendix blew up on the convention floor at this year's NRA convention and I went to the hospital up in Fishers to have it yanked out, the ER nurse who assisted me prior to the doc showing up hid my gear while I was on the table and kept it for me until I checked myself out. She said security would call the police if they had seen it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just got back. BIG and obvious sign prohibiting guns. Kinda figure it's a "Don't ask, Don't tell" thing.
    No security or pat downs. No problems. I have never been on the news. Guess I still won't make the 6 O'clock. I was on the Mickey Mouse show when I was a little tyke. Probably as close as I'll get.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    when I went to Methodist hospital in Merriville for a slip and fall accident they took my Keltec in stride and didn't blink an eye. I showed my LTC to security on the way out five hours later and they handed over the gun as neat as I could want.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There is a jail in Eskenazi. No guns in VA.

Wish there was a clearer definition in signage for GFZs... One that differentiates a private property owner's wishes/rule vs rule of law. Kinda like Ohio... "no guns please" on the door and you know its a polite request, but an official sign of a certain size specifically referencing the law that makes it a GFZ by LAW is required for places like the VA, Eskenazi, etc. Oh, and penalties for places that dont apply or are subject to preemption to keep them from falsely claiming they are covered by the law when they arent.

(not that I frequent private property GFZs if I can help it.)

It'll never happen though.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Wish there was a clearer definition in signage for GFZs... One that differentiates a private property owner's wishes/rule vs rule of law.

It's actually quite easy. Learn the few places where carrying a gun is illegal in Indiana. If it isn't one of those places, it isn't illegal. If you don't want to be asked to leave, don't let your gun be seen.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    [QUOTE. I was on the Mickey Mouse show when I was a little tyke.[/QUOTE]

:hijack: :postpics:

You can't throw that out and just leave it. Let's see a pic of this. Still got the ears? You could do a then & now comparison.:):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's actually quite easy. Learn the few places where carrying a gun is illegal in Indiana. If it isn't one of those places, it isn't illegal. If you don't want to be asked to leave, don't let your gun be seen.

The point is more for for the average concealed carrier that takes signs at face value, not realizing that a municipality for instance that they assume their sign carries the weight of law (preemption) or a site that they assume they will just get trespassed and then get in hot water because it actually IS law (eskanazi).

or like someone who doesn't realize a private property is off limits because there is an unknown daycare/preschool on the property (children's museum).

A differentiation between a no guns RULE and a no guns LAW sign would be nice.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    [QUOTE. I was on the Mickey Mouse show when I was a little tyke.

:hijack: :postpics:

You can't throw that out and just leave it. Let's see a pic of this. Still got the ears? You could do a then & now comparison.:):[/QUOTE]
    You sound old enough to know and remember the show. I forgot about the ears cap. I am clueless to where it went or what happened to it. I was 8 yrs old. It's coming back. LOL!

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    IU in Greenwood on 135 just north of county line, has a no guns allowed sign, and always on weekends has a sheriffs transport van parked there, he works security is my guess, maybe they are affraid of a pharmacy robbery. I still carry , all they can do is ask you to leave.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Not in Indy, but I was seen in the ER at Parkview in Fort Wayne a few months back while carrying and they were 100% professional about it. It was a situation where there wasn't a good alternative to informing them, the tech I told was really cool. They sent in a security guy who asked if I had someone coming that could secure it in a vehicle, I didn't, so he took it and checked it in for me. I'm pretty sure they made sure I was legally carrying while I was being seen but they never made it obvious. On the way out I picked it up at the security office nicely packed in a plastic bag. Unloaded with a zip tie through the barrel, the mag was loaded and my chamber round was in a small envelope. Very positive experience.

Top Bottom