Is asking people about their carry weapon okay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I just go about my business when I OC and interact with anyone the way I normally would. I'm not looking for the attention but I do understand that it may pique someone else's curiosity so I guess that's part of the territory.

My general rule of thought when I choose to OC is to go about my normal everyday business but be prepared to deal with any interaction whether it be good or bad.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I don't mind at all, but so far I haven't had any positive OC interactions yet. My wife just got her LTCH so she's been OCing with me which has been awesome. I feel like we are "Mr. And MRS. Smith" from the movie. So many more puzzled looks. I don't really like being awkwardly stared at but it comes with the territory and it doesn't bother me TOO much. I do like educating people on 2A rights, I haven't found a topic I'm more passionate about. So in conclusion, ask away.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    First, I think if we deleted all of Rookies post asking for negative rep, he'd be down to about 200 or so posts.

Next, I think as long as your respectful, and it's appropriate, it's okay.
    Yelling at the top of your lungs, bad.
    Telling him what a fool he is for carrying 1911/Glock/S&W etc, bad.

That being said, there are some people who just don't like to talk to people.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If you do ask.... PLEASE BE DISCRETE!!!

Here is an account of something that happened to me....

I was out minding my own business the other day, just trying to blend you know, when out the blue some tool starts shooting the **** with me.

I was rocking my INGO hat but was trying to stay under the radar
    because I was CC my Glock .40 and someone might have made a grab for it when they found out I had a gun, the reason I NEVER OC.

Well, I'm here to tell you I told that guy what for and that he should mind his own F-ing business.

I mean he just announced to everyone in Evansville that I had a gun.
    What a jack ***. :xmad:

Just because I have my tacticool INGO hat on is not an excuse to blow my cover. So please think. Loose lips sink ships. :twocents:

:twocents:

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Yeah, i specifically said OC instead of CC for that reason. I wouldn't want to ask someone about their weapon if they were CCing (one of the Cs in CC being concealed lol)...

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    is the 2 minutes of being nice to someone not worth the self fulfillment knowing you taught them something? or do you prefer to be rude to everyone around you. that is very comparable to someone saying "nice car, that have the 6.0?" and you not responding.

My finding something rude does not require that I respond in kind.

I did not buy my gun, car, dog or what have you to suddenly become the ambassador of that particular item. I bought it because I like it. If I want to discuss it I will seek out others on something like an internet forum if I feel like discussing it.

Rude, nosy and uninformed people have have brought me to this point. I made the apparent mistake once of buying something I wanted. I must have had the same conversation with complete strangers at least 50 times the first few months I had it:
    Them: "Wow, that is cool. What is it?"
    Me: "A Dnepr MT-12"
    Them:"Huh? Who makes that?"
    Me: "Dnepr"
    Them: "I've never heard of that. Where did it come from?"
    Me:"Kiev"
    Them:"Huh? Where did you get it?"
    Me:"Baton Rouge"
    Them:"Why did you go there? How much did it cost? How fast does it go? Blah blah blah blah Was that the thing in Indiana Jones? Blah blah blah"
    Me: /sigh

That is not even including all the times where the 'experts' tried to explain to me what it was I actually had or why I shouldn't want to have it.
    No it is not a BMW clone.
    No it is not a re-badged Ural.
    No it is not a Chinese copy of a BMW.
    No we didn't fight the Soviets in WWII.
    No I am not a 'Commie' for owning this.
    No I do not want to someday sell it to buy a 'real bike' aka Harley.

It literally got to the point where I avoided riding it anymore just because I could not go anywhere without some yahoo trying to basically steal my free time in 10 minute chunks. For some reason complete strangers fully expected me to stop whatever it was I was doing to answer any and all questions they might have about it. People sucked the enjoyment right out of having it.

So now when I am quietly minding my own business I expect to be left alone.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My finding something rude does not require that I respond in kind.

I did not buy my gun, car, dog or what have you to suddenly become the ambassador of that particular item. I bought it because I like it. If I want to discuss it I will seek out others on something like an internet forum if I feel like discussing it.

Rude, nosy and uninformed people have have brought me to this point. I made the apparent mistake once of buying something I wanted. I must have had the same conversation with complete strangers at least 50 times the first few months I had it:
    Them: "Wow, that is cool. What is it?"
    Me: "A Dnepr MT-12"
    Them:"Huh? Who makes that?"
    Me: "Dnepr"
    Them: "I've never heard of that. Where did it come from?"
    Me:"Kiev"
    Them:"Huh? Where did you get it?"
    Me:"Baton Rouge"
    Them:"Why did you go there? How much did it cost? How fast does it go? Blah blah blah blah Was that the thing in Indiana Jones? Blah blah blah"
    Me: /sigh

That is not even including all the times where the 'experts' tried to explain to me what it was I actually had or why I shouldn't want to have it.
    No it is not a BMW clone.
    No it is not a re-badged Ural.
    No it is not a Chinese copy of a BMW.
    No we didn't fight the Soviets in WWII.
    No I am not a 'Commie' for owning this.
    No I do not want to someday sell it to buy a 'real bike' aka Harley.

It literally got to the point where I avoided riding it anymore just because I could not go anywhere without some yahoo trying to basically steal my free time in 10 minute chunks. For some reason complete strangers fully expected me to stop whatever it was I was doing to answer any and all questions they might have about it. People sucked the enjoyment right out of having it.

So now when I am quietly minding my own business I expect to be left alone.

You could just scowl at them

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    I woulnd't mind at all if someone asked about my weapon while I was OC'ing. You never know - the 3 minutes you take out of your busy day to talk to someone who is genuinely curious about carrying firearms could swing one more fence-sitting vote and opinion our way.

We all need to carry the torch of promoting carry as a GOOD thing. I, for one, would be pretty put off if I was on the fence about 2A and had a negative experience from a socially challenged person...

I'm not saying to invite them to dinner, but at least reward their curiosity with an informed answer. Unless, of course, it's an anti-gunner. In that case, tell them to pound sand.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I CC my boobs.

me too

I don't think it's wrong to ask though if it is an OC situation

So when are you guys having an OC day ????

:popcorn:

*runs away before either of the ladies shoots him. Or lets a Monkey out.

Oh and to stay on topic with the post, I OC a Glock so I don't have any problems with people asking about it. It's ugly, they thinks it's gonna kaboom and if I talk about it, it might shoot them...

Last edited:

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    How can we expect people to be ambassadors for 2A if they won't even plunk down the $35 to be an NRA member. :popcorn:

While I am a member of the NRA, I don't consider it a qualifier in order to be a proponent of 2A. I think it's a good organization that fights some of the large scale fights that an individual or small group could not. An ambassador can be effective on a personal level - one on one.

No different than someone buying a car, but not joining "AAA". You can still offer positive, respectful feedback to curious individuals without joining a club.

:twocents:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    So when are you guys having an OC day ????

:popcorn:

*runs away before either of the ladies shoots him. Or lets a Monkey out.

Oh and to stay on topic with the post, I OC a Glock so I don't have any problems with people asking about it. It's ugly, they thinks it's gonna kaboom and if I talk about it, it might shoot them...

:laugh:

every morning about 8ish when I take a shower.. that's it :dunno:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I was out minding my own business the other day, just trying to blend you know, when out the blue some tool starts shooting the **** with me.

I was rocking my INGO hat but was trying to stay under the radar
    because I was CC my Glock .40 and someone might have made a grab for it when they found out I had a gun, the reason I NEVER OC.

Well, I'm here to tell you I told that guy what for and that he should mind his own F-ing business.

I mean he just announced to everyone in Evansville that I had a gun.
    What a jack ***. :xmad:

Just because I have my tacticool INGO hat on is not an excuse to blow my cover. So please think. Loose lips sink ships. :twocents:

For all of those who weren't around then: This was part of two epic threads from waaayy back in 2009. If you have some time to waste, you might want to browse them for the humor.

Original thread: Was I Wrong?

Printcraft's response: Please be Discrete...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    is the 2 minutes of being nice to someone not worth the self fulfillment knowing you taught them something? or do you prefer to be rude to everyone around you. that is very comparable to someone saying "nice car, that have the 6.0?" and you not responding.

How is it rude to not want to be bothered by people you don't know while you're running errands? If you're setting out to educate, fine, answer every question that comes up. If I'm running into a store because I need toilet paper, a case of beer, and some flaming hot Cheetos, I don't feel the need to answer questions about my day or the weather...why would I want to go around educating people?

I CC my boobs.

As for the topic, though... It's not a far stretch to imagine that people shopping in a gun store might be carrying. If you study them long enough, you can make the concealed carry method they chose.
    Even if they aren't printing, subtle hints give it away. (The repetitive tug on a shirt tail that's not hung up on anything... or the way new-ankle-carriers walk... etc.)

People like CXI wouldn't like me...because at work, I always ask. :D
    "Hey, whatcha carrying there in [name location]?"
    Always get a :eek: ...then a :n00b: ...then a :D which usually leads to a proud description of whatever it is. (To which I normally reply "nice choice"...cuz nobody wants to think they have an ugly baby. :): )

I see walking into a gun shop as something completely different. You're not walking into a place full of people ignorant to firearms (depending on the shop). If it is in a gun shop, gun show, sporting goods section of a store that carries quite a few firearms, I'd be more apt to answer since the people should have some idea of what I'm talking about. If I'm out running errands, I'm not trying to spend all day at Walmart so if I can get out quicker, I'll be much happier.

Top Bottom