• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Please forgive me if this is elsewhere but I looked around and didn't see an existing thread:

Vanderburgh County man who gave chase following home invasion charged in fatal wreck » Evansville Courier & Press

This is the story about the guy that gave chase after he was robbed and held at gun point. I think he sealed his own fate when he firmly rammed his own foot down his throat:

"The crash report prepared by sheriff investigators includes an initial statement that Beumer followed the suspects in his truck with the intention of ramming Hogan's car and trying to kill the men who robbed him."

When this story broke a while back everyone was relieved that it APPEARED Beumer would NOT be charged....I was glad too but I thought it was pretty odd when everything I've ever read about self-defense says that chasing perps is almost ALWAYS a decidedly BAD IDEA and usually ILLEGAL.

Sucks for this guy but a HUGE lesson for everyone I guess.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I had heard that in the confusion of the holdup, he thought they'd taken his daughter. Does anyone know whether that's factual?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    This really shouldn't be illegal, IMO.

Right. We should return to Wild West law and vigilanty-ism. He was no longer in danger. He should have let the police handle it. One thing to follow and give info to the police, another to chase someone down with the intention to kill them.

If it was an accident he is at least guilty of involuntary manslaughter?

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Why wouldn't the others be charged with murder also? Their buddy dies while committing an armed felony? I do see (don't necessarily agree) charging the homeowner, but why not also charge the thieves?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If I remember correctly the perps lost control of their vehicle went off one side of the road and then the other and back across the road at which time Ira ran into them.

Just because the thieves have not been charged yet does not mean they will not be later.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Please forgive me if this is elsewhere but I looked around and didn't see an existing thread:

Vanderburgh County man who gave chase following home invasion charged in fatal wreck » Evansville Courier & Press

This is the story about the guy that gave chase after he was robbed and held at gun point. I think he sealed his own fate when he firmly rammed his own foot down his throat:

"The crash report prepared by sheriff investigators includes an initial statement that Beumer followed the suspects in his truck with the intention of ramming Hogan's car and trying to kill the men who robbed him."

When this story broke a while back everyone was relieved that it APPEARED Beumer would NOT be charged....I was glad too but I thought it was pretty odd when everything I've ever read about self-defense says that chasing perps is almost ALWAYS a decidedly BAD IDEA and usually ILLEGAL.

Sucks for this guy but a HUGE lesson for everyone I guess.
    Yeah, I can't believe the guy gave the sheriff's deputies that statement. I doubt he'll be convicted of murder but they'll probably slap him with the aggravated assault count.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Perpetrators killed during the commission of a violent felony ought to be "bought and paid for" and their killers should be publicly praised for their community service.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    All together now, "I want to speak to my attorney".

If this guy does time, it will be because he talked to the police, not because he killed a piece of trash.

If he had not spoken to the police, his attorney could have argued that Mr Beumer was so worried for the plight of the young men who's circumstances had driven them to a life of crime that he was trying to catch up to them in an effort to offer assistance in enrolling in one of several federal programs aimed at training disadvantaged youth for the job market.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I gotta go with this one^^^^ It would sure send a message to the thugs of the world.

The problem is that there are plenty of thugs working on both sides of the law--they wouldn't want to shift the balance in our favor--either group of them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Right. We should return to Wild West law and vigilanty-ism. He was no longer in danger. He should have let the police handle it. One thing to follow and give info to the police, another to chase someone down with the intention to kill them.

If it was an accident he is at least guilty of involuntary manslaughter?

Justice is not vigilantism.

And criminal courts are not justice.

I support justice all the way.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    All together now, "I want to speak to my attorney".

If this guy does time, it will be because he talked to the police, not because he killed a piece of trash.

If he had not spoken to the police, his attorney could have argued that Mr Beumer was so worried for the plight of the young men who's circumstances had driven them to a life of crime that he was trying to catch up to them in an effort to offer assistance in enrolling in one of several federal programs aimed at training disadvantaged youth for the job market.

Perhaps a more believeable statement would be, "I was trying to get their license plate number to turn in to the police."

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Sucks for him... but I'm not surprised. Actually I was surprised when I heard the story that there was no mention of him getting arrested for his actions.

Top Bottom