• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I am on dialup and it is time for a change. The only thing I have available to me here in the sticks in satellite and ATT wireless broadband. The ATT will run me $60 per month which seems decent I guess. How about sat? any pros or cons to either of these services?

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I am on dialup and it is time for a change. The only thing I have available to me here in the sticks in satellite and ATT wireless broadband. The ATT will run me $60 per month which seems decent I guess. How about sat? any pros or cons to either of these services?
    Could you get a Sprint wireless card?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    SAT is horrific. Aside from the latency issues (round trip time to the satellite and back is something like 1000 milliseconds), the sat providers have a tendency to throttle you down to dial-up speeds if they decide you're using it too much. I'd definitely go for wireless instead if it's available.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Per Scutter, I have known people on satellite and all of them said it was a nightmare, not much better than dialup. No cable carrier in your area? checked for dsl availability?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    We have SBC DSL service here in our neighborhood. If you can't get Cable, go this route. At least it won't tie up your phone line. Speeds are very good and with a wireless router and a couple access points you can easily cover a few acres of flat land. Sprint or Verizon or whatever access used to be a lot slower than DSL speeds. I don't know what they are now, but I'd be leary if you don't get good reception where you live.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    DSL speeds are dependent entirely on the distance from your Central Office as well as the number of bridge taps on your line. The limit is 18k feet. If you're out in the country, the likelihood that you're less than 18k feet from your CO is remote. The closer you are to your CO (or in some cases, your fiber hut), the faster the DSL that's available.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Ive got a Verizon card and feel it's no better than a good dialup connection (I need to do a speed check) I used to have cable and dumped it because of reliability issues, I now have DSL and love it.. Faster than the cable I had, plays video just fine..

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Avoid Satellite internet if you can!

I live in northern Brown County. Other than dial-up, satellite service is all that is available. We have the satellite service.

The speed is mediocre and if you download more than 200 MB, they cut you down to sub-dialup speeds for 24 hours under their 'Fair Access Policy'. It's awful.

When it storms, service is out.

We pay around $65/month with about a $600 set-up cost. I would switch to DSL or cable or internet over power lines if any of those services were available.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I live in northern Brown County. Other than dial-up, satellite service is all that is available.

The speed is mediocre and if you download more than 200 MB, they cut you down to sub-dialup speeds for 24 hours under their 'Fair Access Policy'. It's awful.

When it storms, service is out.

We pay around $65/month with about a $600 set-up cost. I would switch to DSL or cable or internet over power lines if any of those services were available.

Good luck!
    I thought you had mentioned having Sat, I just wasn't sure.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    lovemywoods' sat internet SUCKS!!!

I'm currently with Comcast Cable and LOVE the speed. However, I've had a HORRENDOUS time with their customer service, so I'm about to make the jump. Where would people recommend I start looking? Is the ATT DSL the next best thing? JcJ what has been your experience?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Pami what services do you get, and for how much? Is Lars satisfied with the speed?

You can PM me the price.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    3mb/s download speed. 512kb/s upload speed.
    Television service. With a DVR that I can program via the internet. It can record 4 channels at the same time. Two of which could be HD, while the other two are standard def.

All in all, pretty sweet. They are supposed to add a feature allowing the DVR to playback on any of the receiver boxes. They are also supposed to add a feature similar to the Sling Media boxes. which allow you to watch your home TV via the internet from anywhere.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Is the ATT DSL the next best thing? JcJ what has been your experience?

Ive got the ATT mid tier iirc, ( I think 3 or more speeds are available)
    Never had an outage, never had a slowdown..Been on it about 9 months. We do lots of youtube, photo uploads and games, it handles everything as fast as I could ever need.. Sometimes 4 of us are online and it has yet to hiccup.
    If you have questions that aren't answered here I have a good buddy who sells satellite/dsl/phone packages, he will help with out trying to sell you anything .:thumbsup:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I provision and install AT&T DSL as part of my job fairly often. Many times AT&T is a major pain in the ass to deal with, but for the most part, I've found the service to be good.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I switched from Comcrap to AT&T in December and won't go back. It seemed like cable went out once a week, and customer service was a major pain. AT&T u-verse has been a dream in comparison. It was also cheaper for me to get the U-300 package and Internet pro than to keep cable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just come off ten years of satellite service usage. It has all the weaknesses pointed out. If it's your only alternative to dailup and you can justify the costs, it does allow you to use a lot more of the Internet. I would not recommend it if there was any other option.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've got a cable modem and love the speed. We have at least two computers going wirelessly at a time and speed has never been a problem. As far as reliability, we've never really had any problems.

My brother in law lives out in the sticks and they use AT&T now. They've had a few problems, including most recently after a lightning storm. But, it's a lot better than dial up.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    No DSL available here the only cell phone service we get here is ATT, and sometimes verizon if everything is just right. That is why I am looking at the ATT. I believe the set up fee is right at $150 then $60 per month and I am sure thay want you to sign a contract too. I hate contracts with cell providers! I'm going to stop in and see them this week to see what they have to offer.

Thanks for the heads up on Sat.

Top Bottom