• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    I found this on Facebook and thought it was interesting. I hope you all do too.

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
    In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. >From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
    In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total
    of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
    China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated
    Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
    Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
    You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
    Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
    Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!
    The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
    During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!
    If you value your freedom, please spread this antigun-control message to all of your friends.
    SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
    SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
    SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!
    DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.
    Spread the word everywhere you can that you are a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!

Last edited:

Tokter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!

No they don't! If you serve in the Swiss army, then you get issued a gun. Which you keep while in service, stored either at home or at an army warehouse if you don't want it at home. Once you're done with the service you have the option of buying your service gun.
    Since military service is mandatory and target shooting is a popular sport in Switzerland you end up with lots of guns in households. Fathers old service rifle, sons etc. But that does not mean they get issued to households....

SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
    Yes, because they only get issued to you while you're serving in the military. So of course they train you on it.

SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
    I don't know if that is true or not. But if it were, it would be wrong to conclude from that, that gun ownership is a deterrent for gun related crime.

Source: I'm from Switzerland.

I'm going back to being neutral now, just bothers me if Switzerland is used in this debate. It's not helping anybody's argument... :-)

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    No they don't! If you serve in the Swiss army, then you get issued a gun. Which you keep while in service, stored either at home or at an army warehouse if you don't want it at home. Once you're done with the service you have the option of buying your service gun.
    Since military service is mandatory and target shooting is a popular sport in Switzerland you end up with lots of guns in households. Fathers old service rifle, sons etc. But that does not mean they get issued to households....

Yes, because they only get issued to you while you're serving in the military. So of course they train you on it.

I don't know if that is true or not. But if it were, it would be wrong to conclude from that, that gun ownership is a deterrent for gun related crime.

I'm going back to being neutral now, just bothers me if Switzerland is used in this debate. It's not helping anybody's argument... :-)

Well, that settles that.

Vilage.Idiot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012

OK.......not to argue, but if military service is in fact mandatory then every household would have or have had a military member reside there and the military issues firearms to said military personnel...........then isn't that the same as what was posted here without splitting hairs.

I use the theory that an armed society is a polite society therefore that is exactly what I have concluded. In fact I am not sure exactly what else could be concluded from that information.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City

So... almost all households will have an assault rifle in them?

I believe you but im trying to understand. If military service is mandatory for males, and shooting is a popular sport there is a good chance there is a assault rifle there.

A criminal can know these things.
    #1 someone in this house knows how to use an assault rifle very well.
    #2 If there is a person of military age there a better chance they have brought their assault rifle home.
    #3 If they have already served their time there is a good chance they bought their gun and or have had an assault rifle passed through the years to them.

Sounds to me like breaking into one of those homes is a much worse idea then breaking into "Gary no guns" house here in America.

And to clarify they do have one of the lowest crime rates in the world, but to not skew data they also dont have a huge population. Thats like saying some little town in Montana has a low crime rate when there is 100 ppl that live there.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    In fact I am not sure exactly what else could be concluded from that information.

It could also be reasonably hypothesized that their culture is prone to supporting a "common good" based upon both the low levels of violence and the fact that they have not thrown out their conscription system (for males.)

BTW, according to Wikipedia (I know, not the best of sources) almost 20% of males are determined unfit for service (and female service in the military is voluntary.)

I would say the Swiss scenario should be largely ignored when considering US policy (as is the Japanese.) If for no other reason, the lack of evidence that their results are reproducible in other countries gives cause to question whether factors outside of the control (guns in households) are the primary cause for their violent crime statistics. In both examples, we have similar results with regards to violent crimes, but extreme variations in the control.

I am not saying the "an armed society is a polite society" theory is incorrect, just that using Switzerland to base that argument appears to be as faulty as the other side's use of Japan as a model society.

Last edited:

Tokter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Tnichols00 said:
    I believe you but im trying to understand. If military service is mandatory for males, and shooting is a popular sport there is a good chance there is a assault rifle there.

A criminal can know these things.
    #1 someone in this house knows how to use an assault rifle very well.
    #2 If there is a person of military age there a better chance they have brought their assault rifle home.
    #3 If they have already served their time there is a good chance they bought their gun and or have had an assault rifle passed through the years to them.

Yes, chances are high that there is a gun in the house. I don't know how to best describe it, but the culture is different.
    - There is no mindset of arming one self for protection. Nobody caries guns for self defense purposes. (You would need a permit and proof that you have a need for that, like a job in security).
    - Most rifles are stored in the basement or attic with the rest of your military gear not somewhere where you would have quick access to it.
    - The law does not allow you to shoot anyone entering your house. You can only shoot if you are in fear of your life and there is no other possibility of defense. The engagement has to be in proportion of the attack.

I am not saying the "an armed society is a polite society" theory is incorrect, just that using Switzerland to base that argument appears to be as faulty as the other side's use of Japan as a model society.

I agree with you. In my opinion the low crime rates come from:
    - Direct democracy, which has the average citizen more invested in the society.
    - Decent wages, even though technically there is no minimum wage in Switzerland. You have a good life doing a blue collar job. I.e. you can afford health care (which is private but mandatory), vacations etc.
    - Free and good education (I paid like $500 in fees per semester in college).
    - Good safety net and retirement planning. Nobody has to be homeless, social services will step in.
    - Good public transportation, you can go anywhere with it. Nobody is stuck somewhere without access to a car.

Top Bottom