Intact bullet found in lumber after cut. What is it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I've found quite a few lead bullets in lumber over the years but they've always been misshapen from the impact. In fact, just a couple weeks ago I was planing some ash and found one so I left it embedded since it will be in the underside of a table top. I've never seen a bullet that kept it's shape like that.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It's located right next to a knot in the wood, I wonder if junior was playing with daddy's reloads one day and shoved the bullet into a knot hole and the tree grew in around it? That's oak so there should have been some deformation upon impact. Be curious to know how old the tree was and you can't get any indication of it's previous size from the raw lumber being cut.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looks like a heavy bullet from something in the 340-375 range. Pretty stout copper jacket, might have hit the tree many years ago, then the tree continued to grow around it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have been watching Leo's video since the beginning. He is truly a craftsman. I thought it looked like a 30 cal. Jacketed for sure. That load of wood came from Georgia If I remember correctly.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    The real stroke of luck is that he just happened to saw through the bullet end to end and ended up with a nice cross section. The odds of that are really low. I might have tried to stabilize it in place with some epoxy and leave it showing as a design feature.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I have been watching Leo's video since the beginning. He is truly a craftsman. I thought it looked like a 30 cal. Jacketed for sure. That load of wood came from Georgia If I remember correctly.

Yeah it's an amazing project. I just wonder how much of that boat is going to be original wood when he is done. ;)

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Yeah it's an amazing project. I just wonder how much of that boat is going to be original wood when he is done. ;)
    None of the timber that I know of.
    I never heard how he recently cut his finger and who's generous enough to allow the Tally Ho rebuilding mess in their backyard?
    Those are the two things I wonder about.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

In one of his videos he mentioned he figured maybe 10 to 15 percent. Due to his work and previous repairs. I can't wait to see it hit the water.

My first thoughts were WFT, how is he ever going to make this thing float. It did not take long for me to figure out how brilliant of a shipwright he truly is. A real craftsman.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've found quite a few lead bullets in lumber over the years but they've always been misshapen from the impact. In fact, just a couple weeks ago I was planing some ash and found one so I left it embedded since it will be in the underside of a table top. I've never seen a bullet that kept it's shape like that.

You be surprised at how often jacketed bullets keep their shape, especially through flesh.

Top Bottom