Instead of running out to buy a new gun...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Like many others, I'm feeling distraught about what might happen in the next 4 years, the UN treaty, and executive orders. I though long and hard about buying a new weapon, one that would be likely to get banned. Maybe an AR or an import item.

Instead, based on the discussions here at INGO, I've made a different decision I hope will be more valuable: I upgraded my GOA to a lifetime membership. Maybe a few others will join me. Similar money, hopefully greater effect.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I was thinking the same thing. I am already an NRA Endowment Life Member but was thinking of joining GOA or SAF as well.

Buying another gun serves me now...but I want to protect my 9 years ability to own one in the years to come.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I agree wholeheartadly.
    Instead of spending masses of money on munitions, use some of it in a way that we can hold our own against the anti-Constitution element.
    Weapons maintenance and training should be high priorities too in case we need to take the anti 2A FSA to the big dance.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I looked at the GOA website based on your post. Help me understand how they are different from the NRA?

I'm looking for information, just interested. I might be willing to join, but need to understand a little bit more. Share the "pitch" and why your a member of GOA.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I'm convinced that GOA are nuts, but SAF gets an annual donation from my family. They are pursuing an effective strategy to reclaim gun rights rather than relying on lobbying, and I feel compelled to support that.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I looked at the GOA website based on your post. Help me understand how they are different from the NRA?

I'm looking for information, just interested. I might be willing to join, but need to understand a little bit more. Share the "pitch" and why your a member of GOA.

They each seem (to me) to approach the defence of the 2nd amendment a little differently. (this is my personal assessment...I am sure others will have a different view)

NRA - Largest by far...but because they have so many members they they have to appeal to varying views (sliding scale) and are more middle of road. Pick their battles and will compromise for the bigger win. I am a Life Member.

GOA - hard core no compromise (this is a good and bad thing IMO). Anything that even remotely touches the 2nd amendment is bad and they will go at it. Some see them as radical because of this approach. Still not sure how I feel about them so not sure about joining yet

SAF - sort of splits the difference between the 2 above. More outwardly spoken about 2nd amendment rights but much smaller than both so don't have the reach to fight everything (they do more interviews, public awareness to drive 2nd amendment activities) - I am thinking of joinging them

Others please weigh in.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    They are pursuing an effective strategy to reclaim gun rights rather than relying on lobbying, and I feel compelled to support that.

Nothing wrong with your approach, however I want to point out that lobbying is a part of the government system and it does work. The entire reason the ACA went to the Supreme Court was because of the lawsuit brought by the NFIB, which is a small/independent business lobbying group. They were the lead plaintiff in the case - the state lawsuit was a secondary tag-along plaintiff.

"Lobbying" entails a lot of things, and it's not all taking senators out to exotic retreats and boondoggles, and not all "lobbying" groups do that (or have the funds to do that). It includes the ability to hire people who know the system in congress, who know the staffers to can bring things to those with the voting power, and in the courts, who can bring these types of lawsuits together and can navigate the red tape of actually getting them heard.

Again, this doesn't mean you are wrong with your personal decision. I just want to point out the lobbying isn't all bad, and it's an important part of the system. It's a way for the opinion of the people to be delivered to those who represent us, because sometimes they have a tendency to stop listening once elected.

Indy Str8-Shot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Already an NRA member and have been thinking about going to a lifetime membership there and probably should have done it a long time ago. I will also now check out GOA and SAF and consider joining them as well, because as stated here already, gun owners are going to need all the help we can get for at least the next 4 years. Can someone post a link to the SAF?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've made a different decision I hope will be more valuable: I upgraded my GOA to a lifetime membership.

Here's yet another alternative idea-- invest in yourself and learn how to shoot the guns you already have by taking some training courses. :yesway:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Here's yet another alternative idea-- invest in yourself and learn how to shoot the guns you already have by taking some training courses. :yesway:

Also teach others to shoot. It is harder to blindly hate something that you actually have experienced, and it is an addicting hobby. You may get someone interested who will also donate to a 2A organization, and they might get someone they know interested.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I would second Esrice's suggestion... Train, train, train and if your proficient train anyways...

Plus if your proficient then it would be beneficial for the American Gun ownership in general if you would get out and introduce people to shooting, teach the parents and kids around you how to experience a safe and proper shooting experience. Promote firearms ownership and push others to get trained and to go out and enjoy our 2A rights.. The more people that enjoy and participate in the firearms ownership the less backing the anti's will have.... Then yes pushing the 2A organizations membership is also a good way too but more of us versus them is a bit more decisive...

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Also teach others to shoot. It is harder to blindly hate something that you actually have experienced, and it is an addicting hobby. You may get someone interested who will also donate to a 2A organization, and they might get someone they know interested.

I'm suspicious of your proposal here. It sounds like a pyramid scheme. You recruit then your recruit recruits and so on.

Sounds like a good theory. And it also falls under the O's plan of spreading/sharing the wealth.

Top Bottom