• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I was with a "friend" at a gun store a while back. Just to set this up, I have what you might call an inner circle of friends who believe in being prepared. Then I have an inner, inner circle of a few select brothers that we all know we can depend on each other no matter what.

That being said. This "friend" I am talking about I haven't known for very long, he is former military, very much into guns and also believes we may face some SHTF scenario in the near future. I have spent time with him at the range and just hanging out. Seemed like good guy.

So back to the gun store. He is eye balling a nice semi auto rifle in the $1500 range and decides to buy it. Later we start talking about food storage, well he doesn't have any. I say " you could buy a lot of food storage for $1500" Jokingly referring to his recent purchase.

He replies "What do I need food storage for?" then points his finger like a gun at me and says "give me all your food!" , "see how easy that is?"

hmmmmm

Then goes on to say, "I didn't have the money for the rifle, so I just put it on my credit card, we won't be making credit card payments when the SHTF anyway"

Maybe I'm over reacting, does anyone else have that attitude? To me it's not any better than being a looter. Then again, at what point would any of us steal or turn on others to survive?

Needless to say, I will not be inviting this guy into the inner or inner, inner circle. I'll still be friendly, but I'm keeping my distance....

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    More to the point, most survival forums frown on these discussions, especially when people start making broad pronouncements that they will steal whatever they need (I am NOT saying the OP said this, just that someone usually comes in and does so). These types of thread often get locked.

Yep, there are a lot of people with looter mentality. Some will steal what they want for a while and maybe hurt innocent people in the process. Many will end up being killed in the process when they mess with the wrong innocent people.

There is a line between salvage of property that will otherwise go to waste when an owner isn't present when there is a pressing need, and depriving someone else of something they need for immediate survival. That line may be fine at times and may be pretty clear at others.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    One of the things to remember is that in Indiana we have a very HIGH per capata percentage of Veterans, especially when compared to several other States. A large majority of the Veterans in Indiana lean toward the Combat Arms Professions also. So if someone really believes that they will be able to go around stealing the fleeces of the Sheep. Careful you might grab hold of one to pull on, just to find it had a Wolf under it...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Sound like someone my wife or son would be shooting in the back of the head while he was pointing his gun at me. Looting has it's risks...

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    His SHTF plan is one probably held by many overtly or covertly but it is one that will catch up to him. With no one else to rely on in his group, you can only rob so many people before you mess with the wrong one and you get steamrolled.

I would stop being friends with this guy. You cannot trust someone like this... if the SHTF, he would probably try to rob and kill you first.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    the guy sounds like a deadbeat. if it were me, i'd keep my distance from this guy. He obviously lacks character and his morals are nonexistant. the weaker brother said it correctly, "he'd probably try to rob and kill you first", knowing you've prepared.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    In my opinion, that plan isn't very well thought out. The guys without the guns will also, after just a few days, be the guys without the food. The guys WITH the guns, will shoot his a** for that.

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    I totally understand where you're coming from. For years friends and relatives have expressed either A) I'm coming to your house, or B) Why waste money on that when I can just kill someone and take it later? (Mind you, these are the same tards that refuse to buy firearms, cause "They're too expensive!")

Oh no! A PS3 and a new $60 game every week is much more important than watching your kids starve to death. They made their beds, they'll lie in them.

Kut

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was with a "friend" at a gun store a while back. Just to set this up, I have what you might call an inner circle of friends who believe in being prepared. Then I have an inner, inner circle of a few select brothers that we all know we can depend on each other no matter what.

That being said. This "friend" I am talking about I haven't known for very long, he is former military, very much into guns and also believes we may face some SHTF scenario in the near future. I have spent time with him at the range and just hanging out. Seemed like good guy.

So back to the gun store. He is eye balling a nice semi auto rifle in the $1500 range and decides to buy it. Later we start talking about food storage, well he doesn't have any. I say " you could buy a lot of food storage for $1500" Jokingly referring to his recent purchase.

He replies "What do I need food storage for?" then points his finger like a gun at me and says "give me all your food!" , "see how easy that is?"

hmmmmm

Then goes on to say, "I didn't have the money for the rifle, so I just put it on my credit card, we won't be making credit card payments when the SHTF anyway"

Maybe I'm over reacting, does anyone else have that attitude? To me it's not any better than being a looter. Then again, at what point would any of us steal or turn on others to survive?

Needless to say, I will not be inviting this guy into the inner or inner, inner circle. I'll still be friendly, but I'm keeping my distance....

I'd get to know him real well if I were you. He's making notes about you I guarantee it. I'd want to recognise him day or night and wouldn't even ask who it is if I saw him after dark in SHTF.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Everybody at one time or another will cross paths with someone with this mentality. It is a major reason why a lot of people have to have weapons to protect their family and attempt to help them survive. The number of deaths that resulted from looters and thieves killing homeowners in Katrina will never be known but it is the nature of the beast. If your "friend" knows you have any preps then you can bet that in a SHTF scenario he is coming your way eventually.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i wouldnt regularly associate with him, but i would'nt cut all ties. You wanna know where guys like that are, so they dont come near you if SHTF. I wouldnt tell him ANYTHING about your preps or guns. I wouldnt go to the range anymore with him either. i wouldnt let him anywhere close to your wife or kids (if you have any). He is financialy irresponsible too it sounds like. i dont buy what i dont have money for. thats the problem in America today is buying what people cant afford. If your friend gets into a hard place id watch out, he may try to rob you!!! WATCHOUT!!!
    Harming other people because you failed to be ready is not an option. The ONLY way i would take, is to keep my family alive after our supplis ran out (which will be a long time), and there was no other way, i mean NONE.

Gunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Mooresville
    There are already people who are stealing and killing for food and essentials. We can only imagine how many people like this there will be if the SHTF. This is why NOBODY will know about my food storage except for a select few. If a guy like this does show up at my door, well, for his sake, I hope he doesn't.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    One of the things to remember is that in Indiana we have a very HIGH per capata percentage of Veterans, especially when compared to several other States. A large majority of the Veterans in Indiana lean toward the Combat Arms Professions also. So if someone really believes that they will be able to go around stealing the fleeces of the Sheep. Careful you might grab hold of one to pull on, just to find it had a Wolf under it...

Think they might this unexpectedly? Would serve them right too.

J91Q4b1kGyK1u-RYlhrrKg9QxP0TrFsvGubka1hUOUwm4iyvkyGwFWjmMlXXyLdWdjbgU_yTv6GmV8Q207JdjZUmdW-VGtHplTc4I4oE6wIAITqGILmFWut5Pry_whlvQJrVV-VqtNchjmGXPD4R5HguixD-pp1dLyUZ7QZ098t_Hz5Zjni1LGKLL0B42Jt_vQIY9au0xi7xZA1gb7htJIafiET4In7O9m5UyfFi

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The ONLY way i would take, is to keep my family alive after our supplis ran out (which will be a long time)
    So it's time based, not morally wrong all together, I see.....

You're going to do the same thing as the thug, just a few weeks later, nice to know where you stand too.

Top Bottom