• Total voters

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    My income is enough. During my divorce years, I took as much unpaid time off as they would allow me. How many houses should I have to buy her and her lawyers? **** lawyers! With all due respectful to Kirk and Hough of course.............. :)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I dont make much (especially if I figured an hourly rate), but I spend my money wisely. I drive a 10 yr old vehicle, that I dont intend to replace for another 10 years, and I'm fine with that. I spend most of my money to save me money in the future. You dont have to make a fortune to live comfortably, you just cant spend the money you make on stuff that really doesnt matter.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I dont make much (especially if I figured an hourly rate), but I spend my money wisely. I drive a 10 yr old vehicle, that I dont intend to replace for another 10 years, and I'm fine with that. I spend most of my money to save me money in the future. You dont have to make a fortune to live comfortably, you just cant spend the money you make on stuff that really doesnt matter.

I keep vehicles about 15 years. And when someone keeps complaining they're broke, I bring up them buying cars every 5 years.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I'm on the lower end of that second bracket. I don't make much.... but I don't work much either. I'm definitely a "work to live" type guy.

10 years ago after separating from the Air Force I worked my tail off in a factory. 60+ hours a week to get money. Lots of money. Then I realized, I wasn't really doing anything with that money and I darned sure wasn't doing anything with my life. My wife was never happy no matter how much money I made or how many trips we went on or how big her diamonds were. A few years of that, and I decided to scale it back some. Wife was still unhappy, I was still not doing squat, and I decided to scale it back a bit more. Now, I work 35 hours a week or so at a job I enjoy and I spend my time doing whatever the hell I want. The amount of money I earn has had almost no impact on my happiness.

I also decided I'm not going to give the federal, state and local governments enough money for them to operate all their programs. I will do my personal best to live as poor as possible so I'm taxed as little as possible. I used to be like some of the folks on this thread who scoffed at the "slackers" who get more money back than they pay. Now I applaud them for duping the government and all the rest of the people who work too much. That's probably not a popular opinion but I don't meet a whole lot of old people who say, "Gosh, I spent way too much time with my family and friends and far too little time at work." I have, however, met many old people who said, "I sure pissed my life away working so we could have this big house and this extra car." The American Dream is a scam. We're slaves to the idea of being rich. Far too few of us are pursuing happiness.

Getting away from that (possibly) off topic diatribe and back to the OP's monetary survey, I believe we see folks of all income levels purchasing guns/ammo at a disproportionate rate to their income. For instance, smart money is going to bank 3-6% a year through their company match 401k if available. Meanwhile, Joe Hoosier who makes $50,000 a year is tossing that free money out in favor of another Glock and a case of ammo. "That's my retirement."

His $100,000+ company manager is banking that smart money but he's also told his wife he's putting his foot down and not taking a second trip to Disney this year. He's going to buy another case of ammo and a new Glock too because that's what Joe Hoosier did and Joe Hoosier makes half what he does. "If Joe and his wife can find the money for prepping, well dammit, so can we."

In short, all of us are buying as much guns and ammo as our disposable income (and wives who don't know) will allow. Big money ballas might buy bigger and more expensive toys and that might be a smaller percentage of their income, but they're spending all they can get away with, just like Joe Hoosier. And me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    ....Getting away from that (possibly) off topic diatribe and back to the OP's monetary survey, I believe we see folks of all income levels purchasing guns/ammo at a disproportionate rate to their income. For instance, smart money is going to bank 3-6% a year through their company match 401k if available. Meanwhile, Joe Hoosier who makes $50,000 a year is tossing that free money out in favor of another Glock and a case of ammo. "That's my retirement."

His $100,000+ company manager is banking that smart money but he's also told his wife he's putting his foot down and not taking a second trip to Disney this year. He's going to buy another case of ammo and a new Glock too because that's what Joe Hoosier did and Joe Hoosier makes half what he does. "If Joe and his wife can find the money for prepping, well dammit, so can we."

In short, all of us are buying as much guns and ammo as our disposable income (and wives who don't know) will allow. Big money ballas might buy bigger and more expensive toys and that might be a smaller percentage of their income, but they're spending all they can get away with, just like Joe Hoosier. And me.

$50,000 in Krueggerrands and a 1911. It was good enough for Tony Soprano

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I ate peanut butter sandwiches almost every day during my elementary school days. I'm good for the rest of my life.

Top Bottom