• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Where is a good place to buy reloading supplies in or around the Indy Area. I like Midway Usa's prices, but paying the hazmat fee on primers and powder seems like a waste of money.

I'd also like a place where I can actually go look at things, get my hands on the stuff and ask questions of knowledgeable people. I just don't know any places that have a large selection of reloading items and know about them.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Plainfield Shooting is okay, but he is getting a bit greedy on his components. Primers are there, but at about 34-37 per K. Unfortunately, Bob doesn't know a ton about handloading. Its a combination of asking us in INGO, using the manual and getting good components.

Profire Arms (shameless PLUG! :) ) intermittantly does Hazmat orders. Get in on one of those when he posts them. Support a small, local business! Bob @ Plainfield gets enough money! :D

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    yea but even at the prices you just said it's not the $50 or more I would pay with the hazmat fee.

As for a group order that sounds like a great deal. Does the Plainfield location carry Hornady reloading equipment?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    yea but even at the prices you just said it's not the $50 or more I would pay with the hazmat fee.

As for a group order that sounds like a great deal. Does the Plainfield location carry Hornady reloading equipment?

First part, yeah, buy in bulk. When one orders only 1K or a single pound of powder, the Hazmat kills it. Group buys rule in that regard.

Plainfield only carries Lee or Mec. He pretty much gets a hodgepodge of equipment, SOME RCBS though. Not a good source, plus his actual loading tools are a bit pricey compared to online (plus shipping!). I only go there to pick up misc powder/primers and case lube.

Graf and Sons, Midway and the others are great for equipment. I love Graf as they have an easy to use website, decent prices, great backorder system (no double shipping charges if something gets backordered and the rest of your order ships), AWESOME customer service and flat 4-5 dollar shipping (plus hazmat though if you have those items ordered).

Local dealers are more of like a CVS to me: I would NEVER shop weekly there, but will show up in boxers when I don't want to go all the way up to Walmart or Krogers for a liter of Diet Coke. :D

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Indy area seems rather empty of places to get hands on reloading supplys, But if you can make it to seymour, down the road on 65, there are a couple of great places, Acme on tipton st. Reloading supplies out the butt, no equipment but they will order what ever you want, Bob at Bite the Bullet on 31N, great guy to know many supplies and dillon reloading dealer:rockwoot:, bass masters on tipton st. has a good amount of supplies also, it's just one of the advantages of living outside a MAJOR city, yes rural live is good:)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was there Tues or Wed and didn't see much in the way of reloading components and equipment. Just odds and ends.

Well... I know they got a bunch of dies, powder, primers, etc and some Hornady presses in when they first opened up. They either had the stuff displayed somewhere that wasn't obvious, or they've sold a bunch of it in the last 2 weeks.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Well... I know they got a bunch of dies, powder, primers, etc and some Hornady presses in when they first opened up. They either had the stuff displayed somewhere that wasn't obvious,As soon as you walk in the front door, to the right behind the post on yoru left, or they've sold a bunch of it in the last 2 weeks.

When I was in Thursday there are a few Lee presses, Lee dies and some odds and ends for brass and such and other accesories.

Primers and Powder were in good supply but being new didn't know what type of powder I would have needed had I wanted to buy in the first place. Prices on the powder and primers seemed to be on par with some of the large internet sellers - the hazmat of course. There were willing to order anything I wanted though and she said that her normal shipments of those items were on Wednesdays and to let her know a week in advance.

One of the reasons I love shopping at Bradis, if they don't have it in they can get it in for in quickly for the most part.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The pricing on the powder at Bradis II was a little sporty, but I will admit, for a local dealer, their pricing on Winchester Primers is the best I have seen so far! (online is always cheaper, but still, NOT bad). The bullet selection is low, a bit sporty on pricing, but I never expect wonders from locals on bullets unless they are casting their own. :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The pricing on the powder at Bradis II was a little sporty, but I will admit, for a local dealer, their pricing on Winchester Primers is the best I have seen so far! (online is always cheaper, but still, NOT bad). The bullet selection is low, a bit sporty on pricing, but I never expect wonders from locals on bullets unless they are casting their own. :D

Is online primer pricing still lower if you add in hazmat and shipping fees?

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    ^^This.

Unless you do a large group buy with others I would say that for the shipping and Hazmat fee then paying just a tad more to be able to walk out the door 5 min from my house is better :):

The nice thing about Bradis II is that if we could actually start using them as our source for the Indy area they might bring the prices down. I can understand if they pay X for a set of primers to get the money back if it sits on the shelf for months, but if those items are going out the door faster then a small price reduction could factor into faster sales.

We also have the perfect source to help us drive that cause in Shooter!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Is online primer pricing still lower if you add in hazmat and shipping fees?

Yes, particularly when one buys in bulk (over 5K primers). I think folks overlook that when they are purchasing components. I buy 10K at a time online, with occasional purchases at local shops for ones I don't use much (such as large rifle magnums for .460 Weatherby). The amortized cost of online bulk or even group buys is VERY low compared to local dealers. The 29-30 bucks per K that Bradis has is pretty competitive to Plainfield's 34-38 per K and Ganders outrageous 40+ per K, but I get mine for 25-28 per K when I get into group buys and LARGE internet orders.

Everyone seems to want to get into reloading, but wont reload calibers like 9mm b/c the cost savings is neglible to factory loaded ammo, but then I find out how they are getting their components. :twocents: Buy a K locally, but don't complain when the amortized cost is "neglible" compared to factory. :dunno:

Yoder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Owen County
    The nice thing about Bradis II is that if we could actually start using them as our source for the Indy area they might bring the prices down.

I'd be happy to support Bradis II's reloading department if only they stocked a single item I can use. I have yet to walk into a shop in the area with inventory that appeared to have been picked out by anyone who handloads, or runs true to any particular type of loading, with the exception of the Indiana Gun Club and their focus on shotshells.

I handload for precision rifle only, so I'm biased in that direction. I'd buy micrometer seaters at a local shop if a local shop had any. I'd buy bushing sizer dies. I'd buy bushings for those dies and the many others I already have. I'd buy AMax and TSXs by the many thousands. Right exactly now I could use 20lbs each RE15 19 and 22. Maybe 5lbs of 17 to fool with as well. Lapua and RP brass I always need.

But I can't get anything of that sort anywhere within a reasonable drive.

Nor have I seen a local shop carrying inventory that appeared geared to tempt someone reloading rifle as a cost savings, or pistol for any reason. Not even a decent stock of consumables.

Until someone manages to put enough thought into this to meet even half of halfway I expect local reloading purchase opportunities to remain about where they are.

Top Bottom