• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, can the government tell you not to grow a plant (opium poppies) on your own property, and use the drug prepared therefrom (opium, or heroin or morphine if you have more processing expertise/capability)?

Or are there just not enough people who want to do that to make it a cause célèbre? Because either the government does have the power to tell you not to do something it deems injurious to the general welfare, or it does not - it isn't on a case by case basis conducted as a popularity contest

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sure, but I was giving my personal opinion of it. In my opinion I don’t find any virtue in being intoxicated. That’s why I don’t drink or use drugs. I don’t like being intoxicated. I don’t have any problem with people doing either or finding their own personal virtue in it. I know people like to party and just let go. That’s fine for them. Just don’t do it in a way that puts me in risk of dire harm.

I agree with the bulk of your point, and I agree with your reasoning for holding this view. Well said.

I'm going to take very minor issue with the bolded statement...

...Marijuana is an effective intoxicant. This is its virtue...and, as intoxicants go, it is relatively harmless for its responsible adult users when compared to other more socially acceptable intoxicants. I'd call that a secondary virtue.

Some human beings value intoxication...so much so that they'll engage in incredibly risky behavior to satisfy that desire. Some intoxicants, like opium and its derivitaves, carry heavy risks from their very use...but its hard to honeslty catagorize pot with them.

I think pot should be treated the same as alcohol. Let adults consume - if they choose to. Prohibit provably detremental elements of public intoxication...like driving, or caring for the safety of others...and of public consumption. No one should be subjected to clouds of other people's used drugs.

I will take issue with your argument;

virtues of MJ could be argued as; anti-inflamation qualities, pain relief, nausea relief, reports of anti-depression and anti-anxiety properties. I do not believe the “it cures cancer” line, however I would be open to further information if/when study comes out about it, the problem with actual accredited study is, MJ is improperly scheduled in the criminal code, so proper study is nigh impossible.

and yes, I am aware that CBD extracts purport to have many of the same benefits as MJ. however in cases where CBD has a positive outcome, even the slightest amount of THC has been known to cause greater results; i.e; in the case of pain relief/anti-inflammation CBD itself has some relief capabilities, but even a little THC is supposed to greatly enhance those effects. Think Tylenol with Codeine, just without the high risk of addiction and further spread of opiates.

to write it off completely as just an intoxicant is missing the forest for the trees; many of the applications where we use opiates currently could be either supplanted or augmented by THC based medicine.

Paul and jamil, please note that you are not allowed to criticize the [STRIKE]modern laetrile[/STRIKE] wonder weed. It's natural! It should probably be sold at Whole Foods

No one wants to just get high, everyone has a more erudite and moral purpose in mind. It's like climate science, society must be re-ordered in order to protect the innocent; and to disagree is to be a weedscience denier

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Anyone’s reason for wanting access to MJ is none of your ****ing business nor is it anyone in Washington DC’s or downtown Indianapolis. I’m sorry you can’t get past your over inflated sense of self importance.

Is there any part of other people’s lives you don’t feel entitled to control?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Anyone’s reason for wanting access to MJ is none of your ****ing business nor is it anyone in Washington DC’s or downtown Indianapolis. I’m sorry you can’t get past your over inflated sense of self importance.

Is there any part of other people’s lives you don’t feel entitled to control?

Amen!

If someone wants to use marijuana, snort cocaine, inject heroin, or drink battery acid, it should be their decision. As long as their decisions aren't affecting others, why should I care?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    So, can the government tell you not to grow a plant (opium poppies) on your own property, and use the drug prepared therefrom (opium, or heroin or morphine if you have more processing expertise/capability)?

Or are there just not enough people who want to do that to make it a cause célèbre? Because either the government does have the power to tell you not to do something it deems injurious to the general welfare, or it does not - it isn't on a case by case basis conducted as a popularity contest

BugI - good points!

I'm thinking you've changed my mind on "personal opiates". I've always viewed MJ as something like tobacco plus alcohol, so why all the legal hoopla?

But **** all the hard drugs....

I still think using opium/heroin/etc is dumb **** as all get out and that SELLING it should be every bit as illegal as it currently is... maybe even more so. Especially fentanyl.

But, if someone wants to grow their own poppies for their own, personal consumption on their own personal property... my libertarian streak says "None my business!"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Even better, let's have a national referendum on it on the same ballot as the 2020 presidential election which should have high turnout from all points on the political spectrum

Loser SsTFU

You seem to be putting forth the neener argument: it’s illegal now, there are more of us than there are of you, so neener neener neener.

How long do you think that’ll hold? Each generation has a higher portion of people who think it should be legalized. Yer on borrowed time. You want to make it such an us/them thing? You’ll soon be the them. I give it maybe 5 to 10 years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Morality? By whose moral compass are we to follow? Seems to me the less governing we have the more chaos we experience. Take a good look around..... oh, maybe people do not see it because they got their buzz on?

Bring it to a national (or state) vote.... I’ll vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, but I don’t see the point. Public opinion has turned against you. Indiana might be able to keep it illegal for a few years.

FT_19.12.12_MarijuanaUpdate.png

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hmmm, let’s see now. I guess I’d have to say thousands of times over the course of almost 20 years. Strangely I made it through with zero complaints or lawsuits filed against me. Maybe I squandered the opportunity to control others rather than protecting their freedoms. Sorry to disappoint.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This is going to be great!

I can't wait for them to bring back Meth Labs. I have my False Teeth all picked out. :yesway:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How long do you think that’ll hold?

Hopefully, until after I'm dead

A lot of the chatter is about how the law hasn't worked, people ignore it yada yada. The argument seems to be if enough people ignore the law, it should be legalized (don't try this with 'rendering unto Caesar', boys and girls). So how many is 'enough'? How about a simple majority of those who can be bothered to vote

Otherwise, if it is less than a majority why should we change? Because [STRIKE]climate change is killing the planet[/STRIKE] freedom?

I thought we got over the 'Why do you hate freedom?' trope when it was being used to denigrate those who opposed the Patriot Act

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is going to be great!

I can't wait for them to bring back Meth Labs. I have my False Teeth all picked out. :yesway:

Did i miss where meth labs disappeared?
    Garage meth labs are a product of prohibition and only exist because of prohibition. Also amphetamines don't rot your teeth.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Garage meth labs are a product of prohibition and only exist because of prohibition. Also amphetamines don't rot your teeth.

But battery acid and anhydrous ammonia will.

Back in the days of "Black Beauties" and "White Cross", nobody's teeth were falling out. Didn't see a lot of tweakers with scabs all over their faces either, come to think of it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

I'll let my dentist know that drain cleaner, battery acid, and hydrochloric acid doesn't rot your teeth. :yesway:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But battery acid and anhydrous ammonia will.

Back in the days of "Black Beauties" and "White Cross", nobody's teeth were falling out. Didn't see a lot of tweakers with scabs all over their faces either, come to think of it.
    Hell, back in the day "methamphetamine" was a legit pharmaceutical. Those of you of a certain age may remember having to watch a film called "Go Ask Alice" in school. I seem to remember a scene about a guy that had jumped out a window or something (while doing "meth") and upon hearing the news, one of his friends says something to the effect of "Johnny can't handle meth!"

Man... I think I'm having a flashback... :):

Top Bottom