• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Don't let the liberal media convince you that Indianapolis is "getting worse." Compared to other cities our size, we are very fortunate. Statistical anomalies of just one year compared to another do not suggest a problem. It is in the media's best-interest for you to believe that there is a "crisis."

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm shocked that there is a shortage of cops in Marion county. Everytime I'm out driving I see more cop cars than I can count. I don't even see that many cop cars in downtown Chicago.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    7-10-13 Fox 59 just announced two more shootings just ocurred on the Indy Eastside.

To me, these are signs that Indianapolis is not getting better.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    7-10-13 Fox 59 just announced two more shootings just ocurred on the Indy Eastside.

To me, these are signs that Indianapolis is not getting better.

it sure doesn't seem like it. we have to realize though this isn't an "unsafe" city, there is a lot of violence and shootings and gang and drug related activities. I have lived on the East Side for 14 years, I have seen it get worse, but I have also seen a lot of positive. Look at Irvington. One thing I can say for sure, I have never felt unsafe.
    My husband and I were downtown last night. I didn't feel unsafe, I didn't feel threatened. We walked the Mall. Same there, you don't associate with that type of activity, you usually won't be burdened with it.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm shocked that there is a shortage of cops in Marion county. Everytime I'm out driving I see more cop cars than I can count. I don't even see that many cop cars in downtown Chicago.
    You don't see many cop cars on the street in downtown Chicago, because they use foot patrols inside the Loop and squad cars for backup and major incidents.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    7-10-13 Fox 59 just announced two more shootings just ocurred on the Indy Eastside. To me, these are signs that Indianapolis is not getting better.
    I'll bet you any money that the two newest shootings will turn out to be retaliation for the shootings on Saturday and yesterday. And as long as the gangbangers feel a need to retaliate every time one of them gets beat up or shot, we'll continue to read about more shootings in the city. A particular part of the local culture has to change or to be brought under control; that doesn't speak for the rest of the city.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Don't let the liberal media convince you that Indianapolis is "getting worse." Compared to other cities our size, we are very fortunate. Statistical anomalies of just one year compared to another do not suggest a problem. It is in the media's best-interest for you to believe that there is a "crisis."

If anything, this shooting streak goes to show that you shouldn't rely on police to protect you. This is what I tell people when they ask me why I carry. Some are finally starting to get it.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    it sure doesn't seem like it. we have to realize though this isn't an "unsafe" city, there is a lot of violence and shootings and gang and drug related activities. I have lived on the East Side for 14 years, I have seen it get worse, but I have also seen a lot of positive. Look at Irvington. One thing I can say for sure, I have never felt unsafe.
    My husband and I were downtown last night. I didn't feel unsafe, I didn't feel threatened. We walked the Mall. Same there, you don't associate with that type of activity, you usually won't be burdened with it.

Exactly. The number of criminals and troublemakers is pretty consistent. All increased police presence would do would be to push it out of this neighborhood to another. They get stuck in or create ghettos that police don't like to go into (The Meadows anybody?) and when they get tired of hanging out there or get pressure by the police - they move around and many of the new places they get caught "wildin" in don't take it and it looks like there is more activity because there are more reports and visibility of it and is often times quashed. Remember the way the shut it down in Castleton a few months ago? The fact is, it's here - if you aren't looking for trouble, you probably won't find it.

Statistics are just that. They can be skewed and manipulated for whatever reason necessary. Murders and shootings are easy to track because the victims almost always are identified. All the other statistics - robbery, theft, assault, etc are dependent on whether they are reported or not. Sometimes the victims don't want to report. Sometimes the police don't want to take a report. You can never take statistics/numbers for anything more than one of many indicators.

You block one mouse hole, they will chew another.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Statistics are just that. They can be skewed and manipulated for whatever reason necessary. Murders and shootings are easy to track because the victims almost always are identified. All the other statistics - robbery, theft, assault, etc are dependent on whether they are reported or not. Sometimes the victims don't want to report. Sometimes the police don't want to take a report. You can never take statistics/numbers for anything more than one of many indicators.

I don't disagree with you about statistics but that doesn't change the fact that IMPD is grossly understaffed. It won't be long and people will be waiting for four hours for an officer to show up to take their crash report and two days for their burglary report. Every month we have more officers retiring and have had many officers with less then 10 years on moving on to greener pastures, that is normally extremely unusual.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What union? You mean the FOP? ;)

It's been mentioned. Everyone is well aware of the issue, this didn't sneak up on anyone. Other issues have taken priority apparently.

Top Bottom