• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    I got this in a email. Thought I would share it.

Tomato juice was first served at a French Lick, Indiana, hotel in 1925.The first tomato juice factory was also in French Lick, IN.

The world's largest orchid species collection is found at Ball StateUniversity in Muncie , Indiana.

The first regulated speed limit (20 - 25 mph!) was initiated on IndianaRoads in 1921.

The steepest railroad grade in the world is in Madison, Indiana.

An average of 400 funnel clouds are sighted each year in Indiana.

The city of Gary, Indiana, was built on fill brought from the bottom of LakeMichigan through suction pipes.

There are only two Adams fireplaces in the United States.One is in the White House and the other in the Diner Home in Indiana.

Josie Orr, wife of former Indiana Governor Robert Orr, flew bombers andCargo planes during World War II..

The Indianapolis Methodist Hospital is the largest Hospital in the Midwest.

One of the first complete bathrooms in Indianapolis was in the home ofHoosier poet, James Whitcomb Riley.

The career of Dorothy Lamour (famous for the Bing Crosby-Bob Hope RoadMovies) was launched in Indianapolis.

Aviatrix Amelia Earhart was once a Professor at Purdue University.

Crown Hill Cemetery ( Indianapolis ) is the largest cemetery in the U.S.

The library in Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana, houses one of the Largest genealogy libraries in America.

Wabash, Indiana, was the first electrified city in the U.S.

Pendleton, Indiana, was the site of the first hanging of a white man forKilling Indians.

The Courthouse roof in Greensburg , Indiana, has a tree growing from it.

The world's first transistor radio was made in Indianapolis.

Clark Gable and wife Carole Lombard (born in Fort Wayne, IN) honeymooned AtLake Barbee near Warsaw, Indiana.

The American Beauty Rose was developed at Richmond, Indiana.

Elkhart, Indiana, is the band instrument capitol of the World.

Frank Sinatra first sang with the Tommy Dorsey band at the Lyric Theater InIndianapolis.

Purdue Alumnus, Earl Butz, served as the Secretary of Agriculture.

U.S. 231 is the longest highway in Indiana (231miles).

Johnny Appleseed is buried at Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The singing McGuire Sisters spent their childhood summers at the Church OfGod Campground in Anderson, Indiana.

The main station of the Underground Railroad was in Fountain County,Indiana.

There are 154 acres of sculpture gardens and trails at the Indianapolis Museum of Art.

La Porte County is the only county in America having 2 functioningCourthouses. (I think we can add Vanderburgh and Elkhart Counties in With that also.)

Nancy Hanks Lincoln is buried in Posey County, Indiana.

Crawfordsville , Indiana ( Montgomery County ) is the only site in the Worldwhere crinoids are found. (What is a Crinoid, you ask? A form of deep-watermarine life that looks something Like a starfish.)

Pendleton, Indiana, was the site of the 'Fall Creek Massacre'..A museum Housing 3500 artifacts of pioneer Heritage now exists on that site.

St. Meinrad Archabbey is located in Spencer County and is one of only 2Archabbeys in the U.S. And seven in the World. (Abbey Press is an operationof the archabbey.)

A Buzz Bomb (German - WWII), believed to be the only one on public Displayin the nation, can be found on the Putnam County Courthouse lawn inGreencastle.

Roberta Turpin Willett was born in Indiana.

James Dean was born and is buried in Farimount,Indiana.

The world's tallest woman lived in Indiana.

Red Skelton was born in Vincennes, Indiana.

Mae West and Claude Akins were from Bedford,Indiana.

The inventor of the television, Philo T. Farnsworth, lived in Fort Wayne,Indiana.

Forrest Tucker was from Pendleton, Indiana.

Bob Greise is from Evansville, Indiana and was quarterback at PurdueUniversity in West Lafayette, IN.

Toni Tenille (of The Captain and Tenille) is from Indiana.

Oprah Winfrey built her residence in N/W Indiana.Florence Henderson is from Indiana.

The much sought-after Hoosier Cabinets are an Indiana product.90% of the world's popcorn is grown in Indiana.The Jackson Five are from Gary, Indiana.

The birthplace of the automobile, the pneumatic rubber tire, The aluminum casting process, stainless steel and the first Push-button car radio was in Kokomo, Indiana.

Frank Borman, NASA Astronaut, born in Gary

Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom NASA Astronaut was born In Mitchell

And you thought there Was only corn in Indiana

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Thanks for the post. I love reading things like this.

I would like to add one though.

Indiana is home to the world's best online gun community.:rockwoot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    did you know that general ambrose burnside was from my home town (union county) he was known for 3 things

they nammed the side burn after him

invented the breach loading rifle (i think)

and being the worst general of all time:dunno:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    The world's largest orchid species collection is found at Ball StateUniversity in Muncie , Indiana.
    On my list of things to do this year. I LOVE photographing orchids!! <3

The city of Gary, Indiana, was built on fill brought from the bottom of LakeMichigan through suction pipes.
    Does that explain why it seems to be filled with so much scum, then? :whistle:

Pendleton, Indiana, was the site of the first hanging of a white man forKilling Indians.
    Pendleton, Indiana, was the site of the 'Fall Creek Massacre'..A museum Housing 3500 artifacts of pioneer Heritage now exists on that site.
    Photography by Pami: Wander Indiana » 2008.06 Falls Park in Pendleton
    pic-021.jpg

The world's tallest woman lived in Indiana.
    In Shelbyville, I believe. She just passed away in the last year.

And you thought there Was only corn in Indiana
    Nope... there's Morning Glories, too. :D
    corn01.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Not to whizz in your Wheaties, but the fact about Crown Hill Cemetery is incorrect. The following is from Crown Hill's webpage:
    Crown Hill Cemetery Page said:
    The beauty and uniqueness of Crown Hill Cemetery is evident to families who visit our beautiful grounds each year. Crown Hill Cemetery is located in Indianapolis, Indiana and is the third largest non-government cemetery in the country.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also... I can find Crinoids all over the state...and have!

But there are definitely WORLD CLASS specimins that have come from C-ville/Montgomery County.

And actually, crinoids don't look anything like Starfish, but they ARE "echinoderms", which means that they're related to starfish.

*recovering fossil nerd*

-J-

Also... I can find Crinoids all over the state...and have!

But there are definitely WORLD CLASS specimins that have come from C-ville/Montgomery County.

And actually, crinoids don't look anything like Starfish, but they ARE "echinoderms", which means that they're related to starfish.

*recovering fossil nerd*

-J-

Also known as 'Sea Lillies'. They are found everywhere that was once under water during the Mississippian period. The pieces that are usually found are small and round, and the inside resembles a star shape....and are actually segments from the stems of those underwater flowers/plants. I used to find/collect them when I lived in KY, where they are prominent and plentiful.

I called bulls**t when I read that part of the trivia, too. LoL.

Top Bottom