• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I am glad this thread is not yet closed. I would like to weigh in on the subject.

I am sure you and your group are all fine upstanding citizens with the highest of ideals. However, your group will NEVER be called up by lawful authority in times of emergency. Your group has exactly the same legal status, and is out of the chain of command, as much as the Crips, Hells Angels, Black Panthers for self defense, and the Hidden Oaks Homeowners Association. (although my local Deputy knows that my HOA will always have his back. We are cool) But my HOA is not "well regulated".

These groups are all citizens militias. All formed by the individuals in them for their own reasons.

I admit, some are criminal enterprises, some are not. But they are home grown militias none the less. The group you belong to has no higher status in the eyes of the Governor and his Adjutant General than any of them. If the phones are down, how would the Governor get hold of you? Legal militias already have that set up. Because lawful authority considers emergency comms to be important. Because legal militias are part of the Emergency Preparedness plans. Because legal militias train to be part of that plan. And all the training is documented.

You may not know what I am talking about because you and your group are not in the loop. (Although, as ex-military, I suspect you know very well)

Research the Militia from the colonial times through the Civil war. Militia companies were not created solely by the self interest of those in the militia. At the very least, the commander of the militia unit was appointed by the Colonial, later the State, Governor. They trained, went on campaigns, and were available to the command of lawful authority. They were ready to report to their commander at a moments notice. They were not an unorganised rabble. They were "well regulated".

The Confederate Louisiana artillery unit that fought throughout the war certainly purchased their own cannon before the war, but they were formed and under the control of the Governor and the Adjutant General of Louisiana. There were dozens of militia cavalry and infantry units on both sides, deployed during the Civil War.

Have you ever heard of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders? A militia unit all the way through. They had credibility because of him. They were used because of him.

Again, I am sure you have high ideals but how do you know the training that you undergo is valuable in case of an emergency? How will you fit in? Its not all about camping in the woods and firearms proficiency......

Fortunately in Indiana there are opportunities to be of service to the citizens of Indiana should they be in need of your desire to serve your fellow citizens. There are oganizations established and under the control of lawful authority that can give you a bellyful of service to your community. All of them will equip you, train you, and make sure you are "in the loop". Don't hold your breath waiting to get paid though. Militias don't get paid.

You just have to be ready to go at a moments notice. To be willing to be a Minuteman.

And be proficient in the skills needed of you.

1. Your County's Sheriff's Reserve.

2. Your City Police Reserve.

3. The Indiana Guard Reserve.

4. The Civil Air Patrol.

I really do wish you well, but if your group was to come into my AO with your camos and rifles and your offer to help, you would not be welcome. My friends in my HOA would do our best to run you off or at least let you know that you are not needed.

Dean Drews
    Captain, CAP, IN 201, INWG/GLR

(My avatar is a image of one the aircraft provided with taxpayer dollars to CAP for our use in carrying out our assigned missions and training. What equipment has been provided to your group to carry out your mission?)

I'm going to agree 100% with 'sloughfoot'. After spending 8 years with a small K9 Search & Rescue unit, and knowing how hard is was to get local LEO/fire recognition and trust where they would call us out, I can NEVER see the government (local, state, whatever) calling out a volunteer militia unit. If it ever go to that point, you might see a general 'call to arms', but rest assured, the local government will be in charge. You would be much better off puting your efforts into a CERT or working with the local EMA. Just my :twocents:.... Greg/Grizhicks

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    PaulJF-Most of your questions are the same thing just worded differently, I hope this helps.

Actually, they weren't. The first set inquired as to your understanding of a well regulated militia in general and the second set of questions was about your group specifically.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Actually, they weren't. The first set inquired as to your understanding of a well regulated militia in general and the second set of questions was about your group specifically.
    And were you questions answered to your satisfaction? I can see Aaron's confusion, as I thought the same thing.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm going to agree 100% with 'sloughfoot'. After spending 8 years with a small K9 Search & Rescue unit, and knowing how hard is was to get local LEO/fire recognition and trust where they would call us out, I can NEVER see the government (local, state, whatever) calling out a volunteer militia unit. If it ever go to that point, you might see a general 'call to arms', but rest assured, the local government will be in charge. You would be much better off puting your efforts into a CERT or working with the local EMA. Just my :twocents:.... Greg/Grizhicks

Well, Greg, That's all well and good, but I wonder if any of those organizaions are going to be ready for the coming Zombie Wars? Have you seen WW Z? Its kind of scary!

Naandme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2014
    Muncie
    Hello first I would like to introduce myself and say that besides being a member of the Indiana Sons Of Liberty I am a avid outdoors man and gun owner that enjoys shooting, hunting, fishing and most anything that let's me be outdoors. I like bench rest shooting, clay pigeon and trap, tactical handgun, and long range rifle. I work at Chrysler in kokomo and live in Delaware co. I am a Pipefitter and enjoy my work. I joined this site because I enjoy the freedom to shoot. I am a NRA member and I look at gun ownership as a right that deserves protecting. I am not here to recruit any one in the ISL but also as Aaron will try to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability. I do urge all to join the NRA and am looking forward to learning and sharing of knowledge. Thanks

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Hello first I would like to introduce myself and say that besides being a member of the Indiana Sons Of Liberty I am a avid outdoors man and gun owner that enjoys shooting, hunting, fishing and most anything that let's me be outdoors. I like bench rest shooting, clay pigeon and trap, tactical handgun, and long range rifle. I work at Chrysler in kokomo and live in Delaware co. I am a Pipefitter and enjoy my work. I joined this site because I enjoy the freedom to shoot. I am a NRA member and I look at gun ownership as a right that deserves protecting. I am not here to recruit any one in the ISL but also as Aaron will try to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability. I do urge all to join the NRA and am looking forward to learning and sharing of knowledge. Thanks

Welcome to INGIO. Glad you're here. There is a thread for introductions right here: Introductions and Greetings

The FAQ section will be your friend, also.

Again, welcome aboard!

Naandme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2014
    Muncie
    I have looked over this thread and feel a lot if not all of your questions was answered about the ISL I am willing to answer any other ones or am sure Aaron will. What I am not willing to do is answer rude or immature comments, which seem to be a theme from some of the members, it's called respect if you don't like milita's or not interested that is fine but please try to be respectful. I am not here to recruit and I will not post any comments or threads about the ISL. if you have a question I will answer it though to the best of my ability and if I don't know I will tell you I don't know and try to find the answer. I am here because I enjoy firearms and shooting and learning. Thanks and I posted a introduction about myself also.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm still waiting to hear from some of these mystery privates and corporals.

UDBQzT9.jpg

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I have looked over this thread and feel a lot if not all of your questions was answered about the ISL I am willing to answer any other ones or am sure Aaron will. What I am not willing to do is answer rude or immature comments, which seem to be a theme from some of the members, it's called respect if you don't like milita's or not interested that is fine but please try to be respectful. I am not here to recruit and I will not post any comments or threads about the ISL. if you have a question I will answer it though to the best of my ability and if I don't know I will tell you I don't know and try to find the answer. I am here because I enjoy firearms and shooting and learning. Thanks and I posted a introduction about myself also.

Will the Governor call your "militia" in times of emergency? Will any local or State authority recognize your "militia" as an asset in times of emergency? Are your officers appointed by the Governor or State Legislature, or self appointed?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Don't pay any attention to the "Non Believers" posting on here.
    It takes a real Patriot to train and prepare for upcoming events in this world. There will always be skeptics around calling us "Chicken Little", until the sky actually falls and then they want to be our friend. :xmad:

** I did have one pertinent question for the Liberty if you don't mind answering -

Can I be a General? :patriot:

I always wanted to be a General. How about "General Little"....oh wait...."The Little General"......or is that one taken already? :(

Please....I'll let you use my truck....:):

Hunter87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Will the Governor call your "militia" in times of emergency? Will any local or State authority recognize your "militia" as an asset in times of emergency? Are your officers appointed by the Governor or State Legislature, or self appointed?

Highly doubt this. But....if a riot were to break out in the vicinity of your home, are you going to wait on the Governor to call you to take action? He stated earlier in the thread that they are in no way tied to any .gov agencies, so that should answer your question.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't pay any attention to the "Non Believers" posting on here.
    It takes a real Patriot to train and prepare for upcoming events in this world. There will always be skeptics around calling us "Chicken Little", until the sky actually falls and then they want to be our friend. :xmad:

Personally, I support people who want to be sulf-sufficient and prepare for disasters. I draw the line at groups that want to run around in the woods with guns playing Army. They make gun owners look bad and they make it harder for me to get more pro-gun laws passed. This is why my first questions are always "How many privates are in your organization?" and "Who grants ranks?". The answer is invariably some version of "Oh, we have lots of privates, it's just a complete coincidence that I happen to be a Major General and the rank was given to me personally by the President of the Militia". Most (not all, but most) militia members I've spoken to spend WAY more time on small arms training and maneuvering in the woods than they do on learning water filtration, long-term food preservation, dam building, and so forth. I've still never met a single private. Not one. And I've never found one yet that knows how to synthesize insulin. You learn how to do that and, if SHTF, you will be worth your weight in gold.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    So what did your group do to help after the tornado's hit Henryville in southern Indiana? In the REAL sense of a militia every single one of your members would have been there as soon as the storm passed helping to hand out all the water and food that you had previously stockpiled, you would have been helping to clear roads and assist families. THAT is the real purpose of the militia.... military action is MUCH MUCH further down the list, yet it seems that its the number one priority.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I formed my own militia so I could be Admiral of the Fleet. Now I get to do things MY way.
    boat20first_zps18b65bd4.jpg

Er...I don't wanna second-guess your command, Admiral, but you might want to check your fuel lines. You might have a little water in them.

Top Bottom