• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Pence signs new bill into law that will give gun manufacturers and gun shops immunity from (frivolous) lawsuits. Ah, the sweet taste of liberal tears. :D

Does new state gun law violate due process rights? - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

If the law is made retroactive to 1999, it could nullify a Gary lawsuit against 11 gun manufacturers which has possibly given gun manufacturers cause to not locate here. :yesway:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Great! Hopefully it'll be another thing to help bring business to Indiana!

jmills

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2015
    Marshall co
    Great, why should a manufacturer be held responsible for someones behavior. The gun it's self is not to blame. Only the person who pulls the trigger is.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm confused. I thought Indiana already had a law like this and this one was written to, in effect, dismiss the Gary lawsuit. Maybe I'm misremembering...

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    "I'm very disappointed that this passed and was signed by the governor," said Paul Helmke, former Fort Wayne Mayor, and past president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington D.C. He is speaking out about Indiana's new immunity law, which protects gun manufacturers and retailers from lawsuits.

It's a shame that the people who misuse a firearm will have to be held accountable instead of the maker or seller. Purple as appropriate.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm confused. I thought Indiana already had a law like this and this one was written to, in effect, dismiss the Gary lawsuit. Maybe I'm misremembering...

IIRC I am pretty sure that it is a federal law, and Gary appealed to the State Supreme court and was given permission to continue harassment of the gun manufacturers. This law was proposed to be retroactive and curtail Gary's court cases.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The new law, SB 98, modifies the "EXISTING" protections that were already enacted - in order to retroactively nullify the Gary Law suit from 1999.
    When the "Existing" protections were enacted (circa 2004 ? not sure now), following the filing of the Gary Suit, the lawmakers did not want to deal with this retroactively.
    That was about 10 years ago - when there was still some activity on the case.

The Gary Suit as been sitting on the books and dockets, with NO ACTIVITY, for at least 6 years; wasting peoples dollars and posing an nuisance to businesses moving to Indiana.
    When you look at the defendants - S&W, Glock, Taurus, Beretta, etc etc - virtually ALL major manufacturers of note in 1999, many looking to relocate to more
    "Pro-2A / friendly" states now - why would they even consider Indiana with this hanging over their heads.

This thing (the suit) was/is a dodo bird and needs to be make completely extinct - which SB 98 does. I think - effective - immediately.
    With no money flowing either / any directions at this point on this case.

It is a good thing. Where the adding protections comes from is that definitions are moved and sorted out better within the code; so if you are unfamiliar with all of the existing
    (or now pre-existing) codes and locations of definitions - it would appear - that the new law is extending protections, but that is not really the case.

Top Bottom